Need advice looking at making a career change

I have been in the commercial / industrial HVAC industry for over 25 years and the light commercial / residential for 10 years prior. I am at a point were I'm not really ready to call it quits as I still enjoy the work. I am having problems of other sorts right now and have been thinking about teaching this trade to younger tech wanna bee's. I only have limited college level courses and of course no PE status. I was responsible for the training of all my junior associates in my past few jobs and they have become well respected techs throughout the industry. How would / should I try to get a full time teaching position ?
    Once in a while everything falls into place and I am able to move forward, most of the time it just falls all over the place and I can't go anywhere-GEO

You can look at tech schools, for-profits and community colleges, however they are mostly part-time adjunct positions. This means no benefits, possibly inconsistent scheduling and probably low end pay. I'd recommend you look into training positions with the manufacturers; these positions are full time but usually involve moderate to substantial traveling.

Keep trying. Your college and many hours of experience will get your foot in the door. I tried teaching at a local community college at nights. I loved the teaching part, and the students liked my hands on teaching style. My problem was the administration. The day teacher was in charge of the whole program, and he was a ex building engineer with no real hvac experience (aka glorified maintenance man) (no offense intended to you good building engineers) This man could talk your ear off for a hour and say nothing at all. (you know the type) So, what happened was even though he bragged about the huge budget, there were no materials in the shop for the students to work with. I spent a bunch of my own $$ for materials for the students to work with and submitted the receipts for reimbursements. The next thing I know, I am handed a disciplinary letter about not following proper procedures by the 'boss' I have never met before. I quit the very next day. The night students had some kind of riot in the principals office and they begged me to come back saying things would be different. So I came back, and nothing had changed. Still no materials to work with, and the day teacher threw me under the bus with the administration at any chance he could (typical unexperienced building engineer) , so I quit again. I liked teaching, and my students liked me, but there is only so much you can take after working 8-10 hours during the day, and teaching 3 nights a week after that. So the moral to this story is - Teach if you want to, but have some thick skin going into it to deal with the administrative BS you may have to deal with.
    I plan on going back to it someday when my body starts to wear out.

Maybe you can open your own school. (just a thought)
    Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H.L. Hunt

"In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And they must have a sense of success in it." John uskin

Not sure who you worked for, but the manufacturers always seem to have a slew of positions open. JCI shows seven job openings in the HVAC field in Houston. (Not that I'm recommending them, necessarily, just an observation.) JCI does hire instructors for HVAC as well. Not sure if there are any current openings.

Talk with the local high schools. Maybe you can do a charitable session once a week as an after school program with vo-tech kids. It'll help get you started in the teaching community and spread your name and mission.

I am young, 27. I was introduced to hvac as a child (child labor, thanks Dad!) and I always hated it. I tried all other kinds of bs jobs but eventually, I came back to hvac. Currently I am working on light commercial to heavy commercial equipment. My last job before this was a maintenance tech and basically I just did refrigeration there. Maintenance is such an easy job! If you can deal with working on the same old junk and being in the same building all day every day, which isn't as bad as it seems, then look into maintenance. If you work in a hotel as a maintenance engineer (makes me laugh every time I hear that) you can make decent money. I have a friend who works at an assisted living facility as the maintenance director assistant and he is making $25/hr salary for 50hrs, 1month off paid and benifits all paid by the company.

Have you considered getting into automation and controls? Better pay, fewer rooftops, opportunity to train junior techs.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta