Thread: LPG Recovery

LPG Recovery

I have been looking for months for a component to a nutri-ceutical extactor. I need a recovery pump much like the Yellowjacket line that is rated for propane. Any one have any suggestions as to where i should look ?

Propane is vented in non-refrigeration application alll the time. But, if used as a refrigerant, I don't know if venting is legal

You could use a Krug vapor compressor and an explosion proof motor. How much propane are you talking about? Or for small amounts a tank submersed in dry ice.
    Last edited by billg; 07-05-2013 at 11:15 AM. Reason: add info
    Nothing is magic, it works or doesn't work for a reason.

R-290a and R-600a are listed as having a negligible ODP. Meaning it can be vented, but is highly flammable when boiling off. It is no different than when we do a controlled burn on a tank in order to replace a faulty float or fill valve. I have never tried to recover it. Interested to see if anyone else has.

Good Luck.

connect ur bbq to it.... lol
    Parts Changer Extraordinaire
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Have tools and gauges, will travel.

RIDGID|YELLOW JACKET|UEI|TESTO|STANLEY|CPS|VETO| KLEIN|MILWAUKEE|MASTERCRAFT|

Why can't you use a standard refrigerant recovery unit?

Or just a regular liquid pump? Propane gets pumped from tank to tank all the time with liquid pumps.

What exactly are you trying to do?

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by LPGrecovery View Post
    I have been looking for months for a component to a nutri-ceutical extactor. I need a recovery pump much like the Yellowjacket line that is rated for propane. Any one have any suggestions as to where i should look ?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Why can't you use a standard refrigerant recovery unit?

Or just a regular liquid pump? Propane gets pumped from tank to tank all the time with liquid pumps.

What exactly are you trying to do?

PHM
    -------
    Kaboom is why, everything must be explosion proof when dealing with lp. Even static electricity due to flow through hoses must be safely dealt with.

I know that this supposed to be a joke, but it would work. Why can't this be burned off in a controlled manner?

OK; don't do it then.

But also please tell me what would make it explode?
    No refrigerant leaks out - why would propane leak out?
    And if it doesn't leak out it can neither combine with oxygen nor become even combust-able let alone explosion-able.

I have pumped propane a hundred times or more - now admittedly; with propane rated equipment - so what can't this propane recovery be accomplished That way?

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by billg View Post
    Kaboom is why, everything must be explosion proof when dealing with lp. Even static electricity due to flow through hoses must be safely dealt with.
    PHM
    --------

The standard recovery machine not being designed for flammable vapor has all kinds of spark generating parts. If it doesn't leak isn't good enough for me, would you want to trust the seals not to leak? Remember the laws of physics are just waiting to bite you in the butt.

On the contrary - the laws of physics absolutely Love me. <g>

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by billg View Post
    The standard recovery machine not being designed for flammable vapor has all kinds of spark generating parts. If it doesn't leak isn't good enough for me, would you want to trust the seals not to leak? Remember the laws of physics are just waiting to bite you in the butt.
    PHM
    --------

First tell me exactly what you want to do -

Please tell me:
    1. What you want to do.
    2. In detail.
    3. Tell me why you want to do it.

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by LPGrecovery View Post
    PHM
    --------

Just a simple basic fact that no one has bothered to mention, your LPG gas you use in your B-B-Que has odorant added for leak detection and safety. R-290 has no odor whatsoever. Neither does ethane, methane or any hydro-carbon that is refrigerant grade.-GEO
    Once in a while everything falls into place and I am able to move forward, most of the time it just falls all over the place and I can't go anywhere-GEO