Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    penderway

Can you suggest a sidewall grille make/model that would be suitable for my application? The problem I have run across, at least with the people that I have dealt with, is that most installers don't have any engineering data to back up their product recommendations. They just want to slap something in and go.

Hart & Cooley has so many model numbers that it is hard to find a supply diffuser that is suitable for my application.

Is there another diffuser manufacturer that provides engineering data that I should consider?

Thank you
    jonblack

Thank you
    jonblack

The answers you seek are in the ASHRAE Handbook - HVAC Systems & Equipment, and/or the ACCA Manual T, and also Hart & Cooley's Engineering Data (not sure if other manufactures data is readily available). Yes there is a lot to know, and a lot of important choices to make, therein lies the work.

Most installation contractors do what they believe will "work" based on rules of thumb, trial & error from past experience and suggestions from peers. Any of which may achieve satisfactory results or be good advice, but is not always comprehensive in scope or detail. I mean, how much can a person really explain in a few paragraphs?

Not all contractors do the engineering. They aren't required, nor should they be expected to. If you find one who does, great. But in lieu of DIY, you may want to find an engineer.

I sincerely hope your project turns out well, and I don't believe I can give any better advice than this.

"If perfection is your goal, you may end up with good enough, what might you end up with when good enough is your goal?"
    Wayne Pendergast, efficientcomfort.net

penderway

Thank you for your help and advice.

jonblack

I didn't read the comments from the other post, just looked at the pretty pictures. I would tell any potential customer that wanted what you're proposing to have very low expectations. The opposite side of the room will likely be a very different temperature than the wall with the grills.

If it were me (and i had a proportionate budget of the floor finish guy) , I'd run a couple pieces of exposed spiral at least 2/3 of the distance and distribute above the floor with 4 grills, leaving the wall return.

The small details don't usually matter that much if the overall concept is poor.

btuhack

Thanks for your reply.

I am guessing you saw the pictures of the floor from the other thread. If you would design and install the HVAC system for the budget of the floor finish guy I would hire you in a heartbeat as my wife and I did the floor! The expenses we have are chemicals, tools, and labor in the floor...so you wouldn't be getting paid much! At this point we are looking at spending between 5 and 10 times what the floor cost.

I am pretty sure that the wall registers are not ideal, but that is all I can afford at this time. We also talked about (in the other thread) not being about to run spiral duct out into the room because there is a 16" beam hanging down, unless I were to run the spiral duct lower than the beam, which is always a possibility.

I really just need to get the 5-ton system I have installed and working and if I need to add a system up by the windows next year then hopefully I will have the budget to do it.

I'm still brainstorming in an attempt to get it "right", considering my budget limitation, so your input is helpful.

jonblack

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12