parts house counter jobs ?

i went to a small school to learn the basics of hvac, and got my epa 608 license, and did a few small jobs with my teacher(side jobs he had) nothing major, replaced some ducting, capacitors, contactors. nothing major.

i got called for a interview for a parts counter job in a supply house.
    any tips or advice on getting the job ?

i worked at autozone a few years back, which should be the same general concept except now with hvac parts.

any tips, i really want this job, i heard this company is a great company and takes care of thier workers.

please help,

???? anybody ???? this job interview has me nervous lol

Don't worry. Just go in and answer the questions. They ain't lookin for an ace technician. They are looking for a counter guy. You have some knowledge and counter experience. As for the auto zone comparison you are sorta rite. The big difference is the customers. Auto zone was joe public in this case the customer will be industry pros, for the most part. We usually know exactly what we want. Good luck. Hope you get it.

Thank you Tommy knocker, can you tell me , when you go in needing a fan motor- do you give the parts guy the info and he matches it up to what he has in stock? And dose he use a book or computer to look up the correct motor ? Or just matches by amps,hp,shaft length .

Sorry but I am just worried and don't want to look dumb lol

At the local Johnstone they look it up in the computer, if they can't find it they then look in there catalog and look up shaft size, amps, and hp.

I like to keep the original box with the part number on it until I get it restocked on the van.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PAULB909 View Post
    Thank you Tommy knocker, can you tell me , when you go in needing a fan motor- do you give the parts guy the info and he matches it up to what he has in stock? And dose he use a book or computer to look up the correct motor ? Or just matches by amps,hp,shaft length .

Sorry but I am just worried and don't want to look dumb lol
    All of the above. I prefer OEM parts so I always go to the OEM dealer of the machine I'm working on and they run model and serial #s and pull the part called for. Although this is always preferred it is not always possible and the part specs will have to be crossed to something that will work.

any tips,
    yeah, tell the interviewer you spent all day at Autozone telling customers to go to hell, and for fun you would ask them 40 insignificant questions about the part they were looking for.
    Then say, when it got busy you would tell people everything was "out of stock"

You should be hired at a HVAC supplier immediately.

OK just kidding.
    good luck, in my area the counter people seems to have better jobs than the techs

Lol, you had me going thier for a minute . Anybody know what computer software they use to cross reference parts ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post
    the customer will be industry pros, for the most part. We usually know exactly what we want. Good luck. Hope you get it.
    You haven't been to a parts house recently. Especially Johnstone. Everytime I'm there the "pros" are asking the counter guys to help them troubleshoot. I find it quite comical. It's always the resi guys asking for help.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

It was working when I left...
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    You haven't been to a parts house recently. Especially Johnstone. Everytime I'm there the "pros" are asking the counter guys to help them troubleshoot. I find it quite comical. It's always the resi guys asking for help.
    Hey we used to be those guys.

It would be nice for the guy at the parts shop to understand a little about HVAC... so when I come in I do not have to explain what it is I want.

I think your fear is your worst enemy... just chill. If this one does not work out, the next one will.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Galatians 2:20-21; Colossians 1: 21-22 & 26-27; 3:1-4; Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service.

relax dude,wait till you see the crowd over that counter it will be an education.you want to know a source to get a job the counter guys know the show and the companies to connect with..auto zone stuff is cool ..connect with an older guy there and they will hook you up with a good solid company after say a year in the house... do the summer there..thru winter PS don't yuke up the eagerness to get into the field they might ace you stay with the AUTO ZONE experience
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px5YcOeQB4I