+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need a little guidance

Post Likes

Need a little guidance

I am sure this has been asked many times on this forum so I would like to start off by apologizing for asking again. I used the search and found nothing that really provided much relevant information in regards to my inquiry. So anyway I am looking to get into the trade. I have about 6 months experience in the field of plumbing as I was an apprentice for an up and coming business owner. However he was to far from home for me to drive everyday so I left and have since been in a job I hate I have been reading some HVAC books and I have rekindled the desire to be in the field so I am going to get back into it. My plans are to attend a trade school such as Lincoln Tech in Edison NJ for their HVAC program. Do you gentleman believe this would be a good stepping stone or should I just search for an apprenticeship?

Post Likes
    Both!

Seriously; You will learn all the how's and why's in school. But you need the hands on for it all to make sense and become 'your trade'.

If I was doing it all over again, I would find a tech school I could do at nite, and work for someone during the day.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Since you were a plumber for 6 months I will try to type slow and use small words

I would be looking at the apprenticeship if you could get in. I dont know how they work it in NJ but around here you have to test and be #1 on the list. Any schooling would have to be of some value though. Welcome to the trade and good luck.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac_superman View Post
    Since you were a plumber for 6 months I will try to type slow and use small words

I would be looking at the apprenticeship if you could get in. I dont know how they work it in NJ but around here you have to test and be #1 on the list. Any schooling would have to be of some value though. Welcome to the trade and good luck.
    HA HA I appreciate you making it easier for me to understand funny man... I got a kick outta it though...especially since thats actually how i had to speak to my boss.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanpm View Post
    HA HA I appreciate you making it easier for me to understand funny man... I got a kick outta it though...especially since thats actually how i had to speak to my boss.
    You're gonna fit in here quite well!!!!!
    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." -- Mark Twain

Post Likes
    Don't lay out the 20K for a trade schoool that will barely get you anyplace until you apply here when this comes up, http://www.uanj.org/recruitment_complete.html
    Be there early, I mean like 2AM the night before, there will already be a line. Last year they sent quite a few home that got there later than the early birds. They count off the first 50 with the proper documentation and the rest go home.
    Last edited by absrbrtek; 03-31-2007 at 07:37 AM.

Fairfield and NewHaven Counties in Commecticut
    Post Likes
    Are you mechanical already?
    I would get a day job and get your hours for the test at night.

Post Likes
    What is the difference between finding a company to take you in as an apprentice and applying for the one you referred to? Or are you telling me it is basically impossible to find an apprenticship otherwise? I checked it out and the next sign up wouldnt be till January of 2008. Which makes me think why not go to a trade school? Is somewhere like Lincoln Tech
    really that expensive? I figured i would save up the money goto school at night and try to find a job for the daytime as mentioned earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by absrbrtek View Post
    Don't lay out the 20K for a trade schoool that will barely get you anyplace until you apply here when this comes up, http://www.uanj.org/recruitment_complete.html
    Be there early, I mean like 2AM the night before, there will already be a line. Last year they sent quite a few home that got there later than the early birds. They count off the first 50 with the proper documentation and the rest go home.

Post Likes

school

the union is the way to go!
    but if you can not get in easy.
    go to school!
    any school is good!
    Most of the guys around here go to a 2 year school, work for a non union shop for a couple years and then get into the apprenticeship.
    usually first year apprentices are making way more than a non union guy with 5 years in the field.
    Union or non union. Good luck!
    there is a lot to learn!
    Frank
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Post Likes
    Okay so through help from this board and asking around in general this is the game plan I have put together so far. I got a number from a buddy of mine for a guy who is the apprenticeship coordinator or something like that from a local trade school. I am going to call him up and see what kind of info I can get out of him or help in general. Secondly but most importantly I am going to go register at the union hall and wait for a call back basically. I also plan on going to all the local plumbing supply shops and asking around to see if I can find some people looking for helpers etc. plus get maybe some more push in the right direction. How does this plan sound to you gentleman so far.

Post Likes
    My step-son is a 1st year apprentice in the UA. I advised him to check it out
    last spring. He called the local here in Ft Worth and they put his name on a list..... about a month later they called him and said he could work as a pre-apprentice ... but there was no guarantee on how long he would be working, maybe for only a few weeks til the project was done, or longer if there was more work and he impressed the foremen and journeymen.

He was uncertain as to what to do. He had just started a job selling parts at a Harley Davidson dealership a few weeks before. He asked me what he should do. I said well you can keep your relatively low-paying dead end job with a guaranteed paycheck ... or ... take a gamble with the no-guarantee
    pre-apprentice gig...... but if you impress them by being a humper with no whining and a good attitude , your employer will likely recommend you be admitted to the apprenticeship program that starts here in September.

He took the pre-apprentice gig and impressed his bosses. Worked from June through September as a pre-apprentice, and started his official apprenticeship in Sept. This March he finished his 1st six months and got his
    1st bi-yearly raise. He loves it. Every Tuesday and Thursday nights he has 4 hours classroom schooling that costs him 20 cents and hour from his weekly pay ... 8 bucks a week is nothing.

I just read where the UA is increasing the number of apprentices admitted each year to 50,000 and that they would post a list of locals that had the highest need for apprentices.....

It's a no brainer if you ask me. It's much better to get paid while you learn rather than fork out thousands for tuition and still have to find your 1st job. If it turns out the field isn't for you or you're not sharp enough to cut it and you wash out of the apprenticeship, at least you're not strapped with a high tuition bill to pay back for nothing.
    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Post Likes
    Full time trade school is about $15,000 to $20,000 now. You get no field experience from them and your starting at the $10 an hour range when you get out. Then you get to pay your "investment" loans back.

Union costs you the initiation fee of $500, school is no cost. You go to school 20 days a year and work the rest for the first 5 years. After 90 days your at $16 an hour. When your done you'll be in the $30 an hour range and have $40,000 in your annuity.

Many of the union applicants have gone the trade school route to find out the only thing they got was a debt and no good paying employment. Non union shops for the most part do not have an aprenticeship program. JMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanpm View Post
    What is the difference between finding a company to take you in as an apprentice and applying for the one you referred to? Or are you telling me it is basically impossible to find an apprenticship otherwise? I checked it out and the next sign up wouldnt be till January of 2008. Which makes me think why not go to a trade school? Is somewhere like Lincoln Tech
    really that expensive? I figured i would save up the money goto school at night and try to find a job for the daytime as mentioned earlier.

Post Likes
    Hummmm ..... I was #1 on the union list for getting hired. That was over 30 years ago.

ME #1 .......... kind of tells ya how flawed those tests and interview were .

OH ya and by the way , it would have been better to be #2. The guy that was the apprentice teacher didnt like me being his best friend was #2 and ended up at a differant shop being the first opening came up where he worked. JEEEZZZZ ....... why make my life a living hell because of that ??????

Can you say POLITICS.
    Last edited by dec; 04-01-2007 at 11:45 AM.

Post Likes
    try calling some of these companies in and around your area.they might set you up to do a day shift and like suggested do the school at night.depending on the level of service/install you might fit right in to do the plumbing end of installation and pick up the field as you go.with one good solid summer of HVAC and you will never learn in 1 year in school...what a season in the field will do for you.your interest and energy will payoff in the "right company" enviorment good luck http://www.mepatwork.com/JobSeekerPa...teList/NJ.aspx
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in