Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carrier 58MVP Blower motor Lockout Code 44

I had a Carrier 58mvp installed about 6 years ago. It has worked flawlessly up until now.

Code 44 set (Blower motor lockout) Tried putting the unit in fan only mode. Still sets code 44. The blower turns freely but does not attempt to start.

Tech came out and said I have a bad blower motor. I watched him check the blower then after he left I got the troubleshooting guide out. He did not follow the procedure outlined in the book.

I realize that he probably knows some short cuts but I would like to satisfy myself that it is the whole blower unit and not the control module on the blower motor. I have read the procedure and intend to do the checks by the book, (as I have no experience except what I read). He did not do any checks involving the windings etc. He just checked to see if there was power to the motor.

Question for people who have worked on these units: How many of you have seen the blower motor bad vs. the blower control module (located somewhere on the blower motor unit I think)

I will probably do the checks by the book tomorrow, but I am curious if this happens often with these variable speed units.

Thanks in advance.

Did he have a tool that plugged into the motor to check it out(example techmate)
    If there is power to the motor usually it is the control module on the top of the motor. The whole motor usually does not need to be replaced.

I would trust the technician.
    If the motor he puts in doesnt fix it, pay him for what does.

Unless you have the right tools and the know how, it is better to leave it to the professionals so you don't get hurt
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes...that way you are a mile from them and have their shoes

He only had a volt ohm meter. He didn't pull any wires off the Terminal block. He disconnected the plug to the blower and checked for voltage. He was in a hurry as he was several calls behind. I read the trouble shooting guide and he didn't do anything I could see to check the module. Is I said he may know short cuts. I only have doubts as I have had a bad experience with "part changers" in the past. I have no clue as to how knowledgeable he is. I am pretty sure that the module would not be as expensive as the whole blower assy.

If he is replacing the whole motor assembly and not just the control module on top of the motor, I would call his boss to have him check the unit.
    Or
    I would call someone who has the right tools to check the motor out. ie techmate

I'm not sure of the procedures you are talking about to check the motor. But if it is to manually make the motor try and work the techmate will do this much easier instead of trying to jump out pins.
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes...that way you are a mile from them and have their shoes

If he has determined the problem lies within the motor and not the circuit board, he should know that 999/1000 times only the control on top the motor needs to be replaced.

When I saw the title to this thread my first thought was bad blower. Code 44 means the control is not communicating with the circut board. Half the time when you change just the control on motor you will be back to replace the motor. Some times the motor will take out the control. The best long term solution based on my own experiences have been to replace both the motor and control together. In the old days you had no choice because they didn't come apart.

If the tech replaces the control and 3 months later it fails again then the HO will expect a full warranty on control and motor together.

There are certainly times when replacing just the control is just fine but get burned on it often enough and code 44 will simply mean replace the whole thing.
    If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by hvaclogic View Post
    When I saw the title to this thread my first thought was bad blower. Code 44 means the control is not communicating with the circut board. Half the time when you change just the control on motor you will be back to replace the motor. Some times the motor will take out the control. The best long term solution based on my own experiences have been to replace both the motor and control together. In the old days you had no choice because they didn't come apart.

If the tech replaces the control and 3 months later it fails again then the HO will expect a full warranty on control and motor together.

There are certainly times when replacing just the control is just fine but get burned on it often enough and code 44 will simply mean replace the whole thing.
    Are you talking the whole motor assembly or just the motor control on the top of the motor assembly?
    A techmate will be able to determine if the motor runs without the circuit board
    Thanks for the heads up on the code 44

Thumbs up Carreir MVP58 bloer motor out

Hi, I also have Carrier 58 MVP ,and few month ago i heard a loud start up noise in the small motor exhaust but after 2 minutes when the main blower and flame started it was gone ,i heard it few more times, but when the techie came that noise was gone ,but he was insisting it came form the main vs blower which is below , since he wanted make big $$$ ,i didn't let him i said lets see next time comes up , it didn't so faar, [of course i am not always there when its starting is on].
    Is you're furnace under warranty 6 yrs is maybe out of luck on motors ,
    mine is covered 10 yr everything part labor from Carrier.
    But sometimes techies are very agressive for going to replace expensive part even is not needed sometimes, [especially when is not under warranty, since that way they could charge as much us they want ,under warranty only what mfg. have scheduled for them] so if is on you i would perhaps call second and even third opinion, as you write here he just did a rough g estimate what wrong etc, so you as home owner having scratch all night you're head how much is gonna be , is he knows what he does etc.
    Good Luck , don't give in ease.

Quote Originally Posted by gyuri1 View Post
    so if is on you i would perhaps call second and even third opinion, as you write here he just did a rough g estimate what wrong etc, so you as home owner having scratch all night you're head how much is gonna be , is he knows what he does etc.
    Good Luck , don't give in ease.
    A little paranoid don't you think? Find a company you feel comfortable working with and trust(like the one that should be servicing your unit every year) and stick with them. There are some rip off artists, but you make it seem like its a conspiracy.
    Reminds me of the commercial where there is 3' of water in the guys house and he wants to get 10 estimates.

Thanks for all of your responses to my question. I have not done the procedure in Appendix D yet to check the control board. Maybe replacing the whole blower unit is the way to go. I took a mirror and looked at the motor. I cannot see any modules above the motor. It has two connectors plugged into the bottom if it. There is one black wire that has a connector that the manual says is an inductor. Other than that, there is the shelf above and in the front that has the terminal strip dip switches jumpers etc. Is the control unit inside the motor? My unit was manufactured December 2001 according to the SN. (58MVP080-F-15114 series 140)
    (model 58MVP080-F-1--14

Also I got out all the paper work they gave me and I think that I am covered. It was the first unit that this company installed and they gave me 10 year parts and labor on everything. I don’t have anything from Carrier. The guarantee is simply written on the company’s letter head and signed by the person who sold me the unit.

Carreir

Doc, Idid recievd form Carrier a piece of warranty paper [2005 november] for how long and what is covered ,58 mvp furnace , ac coil, a/c condenser, infin. cotrol, humidifier, the whole thing the installer sold me & installed. Part labor, heat exchanger for 20 yrs.
    So hope you also covered by youre orign installer ,but i would ask him something from Carrier to that effect ,since let say you dont like him [like now] and yo uwant to hire another Carrier techie[must be] and yo udont have nothing in writing form mfg. you maybe out of luck, i would also call Carrier up and with the S/N of furnace to see if they could locate in their system that is registered and for how long warranty issued originaly. Since this blower replcm.job coudl cost around $800-900 .So be prepared. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by hetrola View Post
    A little paranoid don't you think? Find a company you feel comfortable working with and trust(like the one that should be servicing your unit every year) and stick with them. There are some rip off artists, but you make it seem like its a conspiracy.
    Reminds me of the commercial where there is 3' of water in the guys house and he wants to get 10 estimates.
    Not true. I am using the same company who installed the unit. There “experts” that installed the wrong size line set, installed the TXV valve upside down, didn’t use any nitrogen while braising the line set, did not use sub cooling method to charge the unit, did not follow the Carrier installation procedures at all. At the time I probably thought, what the heck, I have a 10-year warranty. And finally they were not the cheapest bid.

Initially, I was impressed that the owner admitted up front that this was their first unit but that carrier had trained his technicians. I reasoned (wrongly) that they would do a good job, as this was there first Puron unit. The salesman told me this was an 18SEER unit. It’s actually a 14 SEER unit. I don’t know if it’s changed but at the time Carrier only had one combination condenser evaporator and air handler unit that could get 18 SEER. I did a lot of research (after the fact) and that Carrier had several 100 combinations of A coils, N coils etc. and only one combination would get the 18 SEER promised. No combination with a furnace, only an air handler. I also had another incident when an “Air Condition professional” came to my house (I needed some Freon in my old unit). He tried to sell me contacts and a starting capacitor for 200.00. I am an electronics tech (he didn’t know that) and he thought that I was stupid. The contacts were in excellent shape and I had a starting Cap. I only let him come because they called and I knew I needed a little Freon. So yes I am a little bit paranoid. If this unit was not under warranty and I could get the parts I would fix it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by gyuri1 View Post
    Doc, Idid recievd form Carrier a piece of warranty paper [2005 november] for how long and what is covered ,58 mvp furnace , ac coil, a/c condenser, infin. cotrol, humidifier, the whole thing the installer sold me & installed. Part labor, heat exchanger for 20 yrs.
    So hope you also covered by youre orign installer ,but i would ask him something from Carrier to that effect ,since let say you dont like him [like now] and yo uwant to hire another Carrier techie[must be] and yo udont have nothing in writing form mfg. you maybe out of luck, i would also call Carrier up and with the S/N of furnace to see if they could locate in their system that is registered and for how long warranty issued originaly. Since this blower replcm.job coudl cost around $800-900 .So be prepared. good luck

Thanks for the info. I tried several times to get them to send me somthing from Carrier. No luck. The salesman wouldn't even return my calls. I wrote letters etc to no avail. I gave up. I posted a lot about my experience back and 2001 when it was installed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast