Cracked Compressor

Friday I found a crack in one of the compressors on a Trane Intellipak. It was a vertical crack just below and to the right of the discharge line. This is a Trane 3-D scroll compressor. The circuit had lost the entire 58 # charge of R-22. The compressor seems to be good, the windings were good and I bumped the compressor and it sounded ok. I got one of our Pipe Fitters to come out and he welded up the crack. I left a nitrogen charge on it for the weekend. My question is, has anyone seen this before? It seems that I have read on this forum that some guys have welded up compressors with success. I tried to search it but didn't find anything. I'm not sure what would make it crack like this, does anybody have any ideas.

Was told back in the Stone Age to not do it due to explosion hazard while welding. Didn't understand how or why and honestly haven't thought about it since. It was at a trane factory school in Lacross and he said they had a couple blow while attempting to weld up cracks in returned warranty compressors at their test facility.

liquid sitting on top of the compressor at start up...cracks 'em nicely. most of the cracks that i see are on the top of the compressor.
    When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die - Linken Park

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post
    Was told back in the Stone Age to not do it due to explosion hazard while welding. Didn't understand how or why and honestly haven't thought about it since. It was at a trane factory school in Lacross and he said they had a couple blow while attempting to weld up cracks in returned warranty compressors at their test facility.
    When I have time, I "decap" hermetics & scrolls to find cause of failure. A few simple fixes have been rewelded, pressure tested and returned to service. The welding danger is vaporizing oil in the presence of air (and sparks!). Purge well and flow inert gas for a safe weld. Note: I do not recommend anyone do this ( I also pro-raced snowmachines, blast beaver dams, make Bio-diesel from KFC's drainings, make my own explosives, and run with scissors!)