HOT Shot and compressor seals.

Has anyone heard of seals on a Trane 2A514 open compressor being wrecked by Hot Shot. City Compressor claims it does. This is after a year of use. The hot Shot is replacing R-12.

Seal deterioration is infamous when using blends. Although some here, including me, are not big fans of HotSnot you will find that it will soften poly-base seals. There is no tech bulletin stating this but experience will guide your opinion. (in other words, if I had to prove it I couldn't) It may also have to do with POE.

I.E. It's not very good for your quick connect hose gaskets either.

No POE Mineral oil in there. Not a real fan of blends either MP-39 was in there 5 years prior not a problem till the seal blew. I'm thinking oil washed away from seal, could this be?

Open Drive Seal Problems

Quote Originally Posted by aeminc View Post
    Has anyone heard of seals on a Trane 2A514 open compressor being wrecked by Hot Shot. City Compressor claims it does. This is after a year of use. The hot Shot is replacing R-12.
    Carrier open drive 5H line seals turn to a soft black mess with hot shot and some other blends. Have you had any problems with copper-coating of the seal surface?