Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hoshizaki Ice machine

I just encountered a hoshizaki from hell...

The thing had not been cleaned in about never...

There was a water leak inside the evaporator... this was a model DCM 450 Bae
    witht he chipped ice and auger inside evap.. it had been leaking water for about a month and someone just kept placing a bucket underneath the machine to catch the water. They only decided to fix the thing when it stopped making ice... There is also a refrigerant leak on the low side of the system right where the piping goes into the evaporator ... just enough to bust your >>>> . Management wants me to give a quote to fix vs replace... heres the deal... I got a quote for an evaporator for $NOT ENOUGH and a new unit will cost $A LITTLE MORE . The unit is 10 years old and I hope the management decides to get a new unit... replacing that evap is going to be a challenge ... there is only like 8 inches of space to work in that cab.
    Last edited by Dad; 04-02-2007 at 10:07 AM.

I had a similar situation on a machine 2 months ago, Leak or possible TEV problem, they wanted a quote aswell, I didn't want to quote it so I gave them an Estimate on a time and material basis, dold them it could be as low as $$ or as high as $$, but regardless of what was done they'd have the same Piece of crud, needless to say i was pushing a new unit, and voila a new one appeared!

-Mike
    Sig removed by mod. G-Rated site

James the unit is 10 years old and has seen no cleaning ,no service. You're giving the farm away.
    FEN

Man stay away from the evap change out! It will probably take all day plus. I never worked on that model but I saw one that came in lots of pieces and had to be put togather!!!Pop rivets and all!

Tell them to get a Manitowoc!

Hoshizaki

If everyone owned a mantitowoc we would probally be just about out of business. Mantitowocs will run and run and run... they are like the energizer bunny... provided of course they are routinely cleaned and maintained...

Hoshizaki's are just a pain in the hass because of the way they are designed? it is a chore just to change a friggin water pump?

Quote Originally Posted by 300 Win Mag View Post
    Man stay away from the evap change out! It will probably take all day plus. I never worked on that model but I saw one that came in lots of pieces and had to be put togather!!!Pop rivets and all!
    in order to replace an evaporator you have got to pull the whole auger/ and motor, there is also 4 set screws on the top and bottom of the tube and you have to reach around inside about 6 inches of space and bang up your knuckles. kind of like trying to change and alternator on a compact car... simple enough except? I was wondering if water/and or refrigerant leaks inside evap could be caused by the vibrations of auger and motor? Because the evaporator is cylindrical in shape and is designed to slide over the motor and auger? I think hoshizaki knew that this would happen in about 10 years and designed their systems to malfunction on purpose? that way they could keep selling new ones.

at least we can make some money fixing them?

Quote Originally Posted by the mojo View Post
    James the unit is 10 years old and has seen no cleaning ,no service. You're giving the farm away.
    it does seem that way? .............

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgriffin View Post
    Hoshizaki's are just a pain in the hass because of the way they are designed? it is a chore just to change a friggin water pump?

this thread is about a flaker, so waterpumps don't real;ly come in to this as a factor hahaha

on the flip i've never worked on a mani flaker so i can't comment on em, comparinf flakers and cubers is about the same as comparing apples and oranges haha
    Sig removed by mod. G-Rated site

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgriffin View Post
    Management wants me to give a quote to fix vs replace... heres the deal... I got a quote for an evaporator for $ and a new unit will cost $. The unit is 10 years old and I hope the management decides to get a new unit... replacing that evap is going to be a challenge ... there is only like 8 inches of space to work in that cab.
    Not really a hard sell there,
    You said it has a leak on refer and water, more specific you said suction leak, not hard to believe it may have operated in a vacuum and pulled water into the system.

In any case, the repair cost are going to be close to or over 1/2 of the units NEW value and when you are done, they still have a 10 year old comp and gear reducer etc.

I would also bet since you stated it has never been cleaned, if you stick the bearing gauge into the breaker you will find that needs to be rebuilt as well.

The bigest point is NO WARRANTY when complete beyond 30 days.
    Last edited by idontgetit; 04-02-2007 at 09:43 AM.

They went for a new machine... my cost was LESS and then sold it to them A LITTLE MORE... plus a maintenance contract of 1000 a year for the next 3 years ... every 3 months I will come out and clean the machine and inspect it for repairs....

The owner also let me keep the old machine ... which I intend to clean up and repair at home and then install it in my church... and then get a tax deduction for doing so....

life is good.....

Please don't use pricing in this area.
    Last edited by Dad; 04-02-2007 at 10:06 AM.

why are we posting prices in this area?????

Mods?

Quote Originally Posted by Makinice View Post
    why are we posting prices in this area?????

Mods?
    Lost me brain in the middle of a fog! Fixed my part.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast