Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My equipment is heavy! There's gotta be another way!

At least once or twice a day I have to haul around my tools, a B-tank, a vacuum pump, a nitrogen tank, a reclaimer, a cylinder or two, gauges, cords etc..... Has anyone out there come up with some sort of modified hand kart or dolly to accommodate this kind of pay load? Sometimes I'm temped to cut corners or use the wrong tool for a certain job just to save a trip to the van.

I used to have this exact problem. Then, due to some health issues (balancing problems), I had to get out of this field for a while. The only decent paying job that was readily available to me at the time was steel stud framing / hanging Sheetrock on commercial jobsites. After spending two years packing around and lifting into place 115 pound 12'/5x8" Sheetrock all day long, I realized just how much I didn't hate the physical side of this trade. Some days are worse than others, and the temperatures vary a little more than on a jobsite, but it's really no more than than the proper amount of exercise in a day for the most part. It's good for you. I've even noticed I'm starting to get a little "soft" since getting back into the field.

The device you are looking for is called a helper, they normally are just out of trade school and don't stay long, they just don't build them like they used to.

See thats the problem, each tool individually is made heavy enough to do the job and be portable, but if im pickin up what your throwin down you are interested in a custom built aluminum cart system that holds, oxy, ace, nitro, vac, recov, tool bag, lunch box, and a cooler full of cold beer well the only problem is it would be a thousand pounds and un-practical. Its one of those things, maybe one day all this stuff will be wireless. lol

I use a 4 wheeled utility cart or a hand truck. The hand trucks that convert to 4 wheel dollies are nice but heavy usually. The cart doesnt fit up most roof hatches but the hand truck does. The problem is getting it to the roof or across the especially when there are river rocks. Nothing likes rolling across them including my feet and knees. Big rubber air filled tires help. The designers and engineers that decide to use ships ladders for roof access need to be beat. Nothing like trying to carry stuff up them and no option to pull stuff up or lower with rope.

I just use a simple 2 wheel dolly with pneumatic tires. Been using that for years. Sometimes I have to angle the dolly back with one hand while I stack everything up on it with the other hand so my stuff doesn't fall off. Then I keep it angled back and never set it up straight till I get to my destination (even in the elevator). I sometimes use a small ratchet strap to secure my load to the hand truck such as when I'm hauling a larger motor or something. Especially if I'm going up the stairs with it. Also, I always leave my refrigerant drums in the boxes so I can stack them easily.

Quote Originally Posted by R123 View Post
    I just use a simple 2 wheel dolly with pneumatic tires. Been using that for years. Sometimes I have to angle the dolly back with one hand while I stack everything up on it with the other hand so my stuff doesn't fall off. Then I keep it angled back and never set it up straight till I get to my destination (even in the elevator). I sometimes use a small ratchet strap to secure my load to the hand truck such as when I'm hauling a larger motor or something. Especially if I'm going up the stairs with it. Also, I always leave my refrigerant drums in the boxes so I can stack them easily.
    Same here. I have draw straps and just stack and strap. It's a 2 trip set up when every tool has to go but 2 trips with wheels beats the heck out of 6 trips without wheels. A helper to load and push it is especially handy too.

Reclaim cylinder #28, empty ,tool bag #21,vac pump #18,nitrogen 80 cuft. #68,gauges #2 up the Man Way Ladder 27 feet to roof then 100yds across roof ,oops forgot something I'm sure.... I need a HOVERCRAFT that's the tool !
    Haulin stuff on rope sukx. Hope I don't need to get Oxy/Ace !

I use a hand truck or rubermaid service cart.

Really the part that sux is ground to roof.

Most places there is a maint personel I ask for 15 min of their time so I can just drop rope they hook etc.

I get paid by the hour. If it takes 50 trips to the van to bring the correct tools to the job, then it takes 50 trips to bring them back. I need to lose weight anyways.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    I get paid by the hour. If it takes 50 trips to the van to bring the correct tools to the job, then it takes 50 trips to bring them back. I need to lose weight anyways.
    Oh come on. You used to have that tool bag that you carried every tool you own in, along with a half dozen bad contactors and 300 assorted wire nuts. We all did when we was kids. I'm down to a pouch with 12 tools and a meter now. Use that to find the problem then get what I need to fix that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post
    Oh come on. You used to have that tool bag that you carried every tool you own in, along with a half dozen bad contactors and 300 assorted wire nuts. We all did when we was kids. I'm down to a pouch with 12 tools and a meter now. Use that to find the problem then get what I need to fix that problem.
    5 gal bucket with a bucket boss. Still carry it. It seconds as a seat for my fat ass. I used to work with a guy who only carried a 6&1 and a meter to every service call. He would get more tools as needed.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

I have a dolly with a two flip down tongues that flip out and extend 2'. Put recovery machine and torches on first level, then place tank and vacuum on second level. Use backpack for tools and bucket of parts hang on backside, between stair slides.

Looks like Beverly Hillbillys car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast