Arrow What are commercial employers looking for?

I am trying set up some interviews with commercial companies, I have only worked in residential but want to switch to commercial due to better pay and working conditions. I trying to move to the shenandoah valley in va, I live in another state and would like to try to set up the interviews during a 2 or 3 day trip out there, then WHEN I get hired we have to look for a house to rent. So now you see why i am asking the question, I dont want to drive 8 hours and not get hired, so any suggestions? I have heard that commercial is always hiring but you know how things are that you hear.

Look @ a map of where you want to move to , now find Leesburg , Dulles Airport , Manassas , and that general area . If you are thinking of moving anywhere close to that area I may be able to help you out .

Anyway to answer your question , the #1 thing you HAVE to have is a good attitude and be willing to learn . We have a helper that started about 3 years ago @ the age of 19 . He was straight out of high school , BUT had a good attitude and is willing to learn and listen . He has taken many classes and keeps taking them . He wants to learn and is willing to do what it takes to do so . THAT IS THE #1 THING THAT YOU NEED !!! The rest can be taught to you !

Good luck

how far out can you live from your shop? in residential its 30 min no more. I have been taking classes for residential and I m not afraid to try anything or learn anything. You really have to have that attitude when you have 2 children. how can you help me out?

A person with 20 years experience who's willing to work for nothing and bust his a$$ all day. Also supplies all his own tools.

Quote Originally Posted by refrtech View Post
    Look @ a map of where you want to move to , now find Leesburg , Dulles Airport , Manassas , and that general area . If you are thinking of moving anywhere close to that area I may be able to help you out .

Anyway to answer your question , the #1 thing you HAVE to have is a good attitude and be willing to learn . We have a helper that started about 3 years ago @ the age of 19 . He was straight out of high school , BUT had a good attitude and is willing to learn and listen . He has taken many classes and keeps taking them . He wants to learn and is willing to do what it takes to do so . THAT IS THE #1 THING THAT YOU NEED !!! The rest can be taught to you !

Good luck
    very true. with the basics covered in residential service, combined with a willingness to listen and learn, you will do fine as long as you get onboard with someone who is willing to teach you the right way( and most experienced techs are willing to do so.)
    mike

Good luck on your change

With commercial you just need to be curious and not be lazy you need to pick up the tools and do the work as often as possible. You need to learn everything you can. As time goes by and you want to slow down, if you only stood on the side line and only watched you will be lost when it becomes comes your time to direct or move on. Kids don’t work like they use to and the field of good mechanics that are able to pull through during a ruff or complicated job has gotten thinner. So if you look, listen, learn and participate in doing the work you will fit right in and move on up.

commercial tech

all employers love certifications!
    I am sure you have friends that work on commercial stuff.
    go look at some stuff, ask some questions, get an idea of how the stuff works and bull@#$% your way into the job!
    frank
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!