DIY Thermocouple Clamps

Thermocouple clamps are quite pricey, yet the k-type thermocouples themselves are very cheap and so are plastic clamps. Anyone ever try putting them together themselves? Looks like you could get the materials to make half a dozen from ebay for under twenty bucks.
    "If you've eliminated all other possibilities whatever remains must be the truth."

Quote Originally Posted by jmsmars1 View Post
    Thermocouple clamps are quite pricey, yet the k-type thermocouples themselves are very cheap and so are plastic clamps. Anyone ever try putting them together themselves? Looks like you could get the materials to make half a dozen from ebay for under twenty bucks.
    Sorry no DIY on this site. Please call a pro. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Hvac216 View Post
    Sorry no DIY on this site. Please call a pro. Lol.
    Awesome
    "If you've eliminated all other possibilities whatever remains must be the truth."

I'm interested to hear the responses. My sman clamp is starting to crap out.

My ak900 arnt even a week old and i love then. I do alot of small reach ins with 3/8 and 1/4 lines. The velco ones are good but a pita in a small area

I tried this when I was taking the course, as some people had their Fieldpiece clamps break. I got a 6" clamp at Biglots and glued a plastic v-block for alignment on one side with Goop. The other side I glued on some foam and a strip of beer can and put the thermocouple between two layers of the aluminum. Worked well enough, had to fiddle the thermocouple location to get it on the copper tube correctly. Need to try again. Clamp had a serious spring in it.

http://fieldpiece.com/tech-articles/...-and-solutions

Some thoughts on what is required

Thanks!

I have built a few. I wish I had pictures but Ill try my best to explain. Let me start by saying that they are not as accurate as the commercially available. Thats why I pay some one for good ones, they put a lot of engineering into it.

I buy those cheap clamps from harborfreight. The plastic ones with the orange pads. Then I take a cheap bead type thermocouple and run it up inside of the clamp. The shape of the handle of the clamp is U shaped. I run it in the bottom of the U and put the bead in the middle of the orange pad. There is a little grove on the pad that holds the wire nicely. I then fill the U with hot glue and then place hot glue on the pad so that the bead sits uncovered on top of the glue. I wait until the glue is tacky and then form it smooth, including making the pad pipe shaped.

It makes good contact most of the time but needs a little adjusting sometimes. This method is really only as good as the thermocouple.
    The only true knowledge is the pursuit of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by marter View Post
    My ak900 arnt even a week old and i love then. I do alot of small reach ins with 3/8 and 1/4 lines. The velco ones are good but a pita in a small area
    Cut the velcro off and use millie-ties.