Totally Confused! Who do I trust?

So here's the scoop-I have a Weil-McClain natural gas boiler that has gone down in the last week. The company that has been servicing it for the last few years says that the boiler is about 26 years old, and first stated they could fix it by installing a new motor in the CO venting system. $850 later, they state that boiler is beyond repair, and needs to be replaced. Flash forward a few days later, getting estimates for replacement from multiple sources, including the contractor that has serviced it. A different sales/contractor comes in today and states that my tech is "****ty," that the boiler is 19 years old with a manufacture date of 1994 (and shows me the sticker on the side of the boiler in a very awkward place to demonstrate it), and states that the boiler should only need some minor repairs and can't fathom how I spent $850 a few days ago and don't have a working boiler. He actually left without even giving me an estimate, and stated "call a tech from my company, call a tech from another company, but get another tech out here before spending $5K to replace it."

Now I find myself having no clue who to trust. I'm a handy guy (carpentry, drywall, minor plumbing & electric, etc.) and do 85% of the work around my house myself-but on this, I'm completely ignorant. According to one guy the boiler is 26 years old and shot, according to another, its 19 years old and should easily run for another 10-15 years?

ANY ADVICE would be greatly appreciated.

Why was the boiler condemned?
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

For starters you paid company 1 850 $ and she still don't run. I would tell them to remove part and give money back.

If a salesman walked out without giving you a quote I would call one of there techs out.

I damn sure wouldn't be out money withno running boiler.

Quote Originally Posted by air1 View Post
    Why was the boiler condemned?
    According to the Tech, the flames were "red & orange" and not "blue" which signified a problem and made the boiler dangerous. I'm not sure if "condemned" is a term of art, as that makes me think of an inspector from my township coming out and shutting the unit down which did not happen. This was purely the tech stating that the boiler was not safe him shutting it down of his own volition.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Mech View Post
    For starters you paid company 1 850 $ and she still don't run. I would tell them to remove part and give money back.

If a salesman walked out without giving you a quote I would call one of there techs out.

I damn sure wouldn't be out money withno running boiler.
    Yeah-I plan to come back hard on the $850. Company 1 has said they will give me a 50% credit of the $850 toward a new boiler, but I've let them know that is unacceptable. It needs to be a 100% credit or something darn close to it. But now of course I'm concerned that I've been being scammed the whole time.

I would call company 2 out to inspect the boiler. Sounds like incomplete combustion which could be caused by various reasons, but not normally a reason to condemn a boiler. Could be the heat exchanger and burners are so rusted that it would make more sense to replace than repair.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com