Hmm R-22 drop-in mixing

I have recently become aware of the epidemic practice of 'topping off' HCFC-22 air conditioning systems with other refrigerants, particularly R-422D by service personnel in central Florida. (Yes, I know 422D is for low and medium temp, but the jug IS somewhat green)

For the most part, the personnel I have personally conversed with contend that this practice is condoned, if not mandated, by their employers.

Talking to supply house personnel further exposes that this practice is widespread in this area, and I suspect it may be strongly prevalent across Florida and nationally. Many posts here tend to uphold this conjecture.

I am approaching my 40th year in the industry, and find the lack of professionalism revealed by this to be utterly indefensible.

I queried RSES and got this reply: "The answer is YES. By topping off with a different refrigerant the tech is creating a non-EPA SNAP approved refrigerant. I'm not sure where to locate the specific regulation but this info is correct from my discussions with EPA officials."

In our school district all systems that can be drained or vacuumed of their MO, are being retrofitted to R-407C and POE at the time they are being serviced for leaking refrigerant charges.

Our results have been above our expectations; the systems exhibited exemplary cooling performance and energy consumption characteristics; we have found that in our MO units that can not be easily relieved of the MO charge, MO oil return with R-407C is successfully enhanced with the addition of Supco 88 to thin the MO, in place of the hydrocarbon content in 438A, 422D, etc.

DuPont has acknowledged that the basic reason for the hydrocarbon content in these blends is to thin the MO in an effort to provide a bit of oil return; the more hydrocarbon in the blend, the better thinning of the MO.

We've had first-rate oil return results by adding Supco 88 as an alternative to the hydrocarbon content of the 'no-oil-change' refrigerants; probably due to Supco being 98%-99% hydrocarbons.

Don't!

You won't get the performance possible and you've just contaminated the system. When someone goes to recover it and turn it in to a recycling center, they may have to pay through the teeth because of said mixed gas. If your employer is turning in large tanks of R22 expecting 4 digits in return, doesn't take much of another gas to kill that. He may be paying to get rid of it instead of getting some good bucks.

Heard the same thing from some techs I meet at supply houses here on Long Island. They are calling all the refidgerants on their truck freon. It's becoming a generic term like Kleenex and fridgdaire. They tell the customer they have two different brands and let them choose to use either the expensive freon or the cheaper brand.
    If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

So far as I can determine it is SOP around here. Whatever costs less is added and charged out as the same refrigerant in the system.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

I thought it was a violation to mix ANY refrigerants. Period.

i was under the impression that r22 could not b mixed with any replacements such as mo99 or r422

sorry, didnt mean to send

i also was under the impression that the two had different oils that could not mix or causes damage.
    please bring me up to speed on that one

Yes; I have been wondering why the EPA Police haven't arrested them all.

Any ideas?

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    I thought it was a violation to mix ANY refrigerants. Period.
    PHM
    --------

Im not convinced using any replacement on the market is good for me. We use a lot of heat pumps in my area and any reduction in performance isnt acceptable. I recommend paying to have the leak repaired and paying for R-22 or looking into installing a new system. I dont plan on selling replacements as long as R-22 is still available.

The eye in the sky is watching, also the eye on your laptop. As soon as BO, I mean OB, gives the command they will pounce.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Yes; I have been wondering why the EPA Police haven't arrested them all.

Any ideas?

PHM
    ------

Think pentane would also work ?

Does anybody think using pentane would work to enhance oil return?

That is: oil return when running R407C over the mineral oil?
    PHM
    --------