Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    The electronic time clock is apparently set for a 30-40 minute defrost.

There is NOTHING on the evap coil to terminate the defrost on temperature - the coil literally gets too hot to touch.

There is NOTHING on the evap coil to delay the evap fans on warm-coil-pull-down.

No controls, no wires, no mounting holes, nothing to indicate that there ever was anything to deal with defrost termination or fan delay.......

I'll grab a handful of parts and go over there in the morning to make it all right.

PHM
    --------
    Wish someone cld ck for a schematic to see if this was a "field modification". That's beyond belief! Imagine the wasted energy & the spewed condensate that's just going to become new frost. PHM... the clock, a model designed to take an "X" terminate ?? If so, I'm sure some dipstick made these changes.
    If not, this is a unit that you will have to re-design. (and send update & engineering invoice to CEO).

Isn't the fan wired to the compressor terminal on the clock, set defrost to5 minutes to try it. Might give you a better feel for it.

The electronic time clock is apparently set for a 30-40 minute defrost.

There is NOTHING on the evap coil to terminate the defrost on temperature - the coil literally gets too hot to touch.

There is NOTHING on the evap coil to delay the evap fans on warm-coil-pull-down.

No controls, no wires, no mounting holes, nothing to indicate that there ever was anything to deal with defrost termination or fan delay.

I installed the 3/4HP med/low temp unit this afternoon. After the two-beer-test it went into defrost and there was apparently no way to get it out of defrost except wait it out.

I'll grab a handful of parts and go over there in the morning to make it all right.

PHM
    --------

Today I was screaming busy but I did manage to get over there to set the defrost periods for fifteen minutes total time each and only three times per day. The SSH was the touchiest bastard I'ver ever run across = 30 stabilized and the just barely touching the wrench made to re-stabilize at 3-4. Touch it again and it was 35. I fiddled with it for almost two hours and then left it to work itself out.

The box temp was running about 20 when I got there but was in the middle teens and dropping when I left.

From what I can get out of the oldest foreigner who works there - the evaporator coil was replaced at one point and then the mechanics came back a lot of times, the freezer was never cold enough, and then they replaced the compressor last January. But the box was never under 30*despite there constant call-backs. Finally they told the customer: it's just a refrigerator now - not a freezer; see you later. <g>

I picked up a timer and fan/termination stat for it this morning but the idea of rewiring it from nothing all Friday night didn't appeal to me so I left it as is.

That reminds me: anybody know where I can get a Norlake freezer wiring diagram before next Tuesday? Norlake is closed until then.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

What is a KE 2 therm ?

PHM
    -------
    KE2 Therm evaporator efficiency controller. Its an electronic control that manages defrost, cycles the fans, controls temperature. Basically it replaces the time clock, thermostat, and defrost termination/fan delay.

We've put in a few and they work pretty good. Not sure if it would be a good fit in your application or not.

http://ke2therm.com/productsevap.html

I think heatcraft has a bunch of diagrams on their web site. All pretty standard.

I can't help to think as I follow this thread that this unit was a cooler at one time, some outfit tried to convert to a freezer by installing new TEV. And now you are stuck believing and/or making it work as a freezer.

I have seen coolers with electric defrost, I have two of them.

Based on the model number Norlake Technical said that it was a freezer intended to maintain 0 F. Well . . . . so long as it is in an air conditioned room. <g>
    And there was a defrost timer in it when I got there.
    And there was a -40 F. compressor in it - albeit installed only last January.
    The lack of fan delay and defrost termination puzzles me - but who knows what the past monkeys have done?

With just the three fifteen minute defrosts and the -5 evaporating temperature and the 6 of SSH - I'm thinking that I can make it freeze some product. But until the delay and termination are rewired in it won't be right.

The 3/4 HP condensing unit did make a big difference. <g>

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Capz View Post
    I can't help to think as I follow this thread that this unit was a cooler at one time, some outfit tried to convert to a freezer by installing new TEV. And now you are stuck believing and/or making it work as a freezer.

I have seen coolers with electric defrost, I have two of them.
    PHM
    --------

so uhh , hows it going with the wiring

oh and if you want , you are welcome to use my wheel barrow to haul away the money your gonna make from fixing all their stuff in which your competition left you to sort out ...

Sounds like a Subway?

M , M: !
    I tol U !

make it water cooled and out in GeoT line from Earth- borehole !!!

What's Norlake say? The techs there have been very helpy 2z.

It's a Sapranos pizza place. Almost no one speaks English. Or Hindi. Or Punjabi. And beyond those three - I am lost.

Norlake claimed to be e-mailing me the wiring drawing today after I gave them the model and serial number. Instead they sent me an email explaining that they couldn't help me until I supplied the model and serial number.

As I have re-worked it so far it is holding at about +9 F. I have it on three fifteen minute defrosts per twenty four hours. SSH is a little lower than I think prudent but I increased it slightly this morning and will check it tomorrow morning.

It's been over 90 around here so I have been out gathering the easy money and waiting for some free minutes to get back to this freezer. If Norlake ever gets me the friggin diagram.

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post

so uhh , hows it going with the wiring

oh and if you want , you are welcome to use my wheel barrow to haul away the money your gonna make from fixing all their stuff in which your competition left you to sort out ...
    PHM
    --------

I got here late, but I'd check the fan delay. It should freeze the coil real cold before bringing the fan on. It will cycle a number of times before the box pulls down.

There isn't enough hp to pull a warm box with product. It can only start cold and empty, then frozen product introduced.

It will ice up in the warm box quickly. Time how long the defrost needs to be, no longer, set it and defrost 6 times a day. Check pumpdown operation to make sure that it doesn't take too much time out of the defrost cycle.

Everything has to be perfect. Clean condenser, put a fan up there to circulate air if necessary. No blockage of air flow around the coil by boxed product. You might need to fiddle with the tx valve to not overload the compressor. There will be a setting where it will work, and if it isn't there it won't. Probably not anywhere near what usually works.

Underpowered freezers are fun. As I said, everything needs to be perfect for them to get even close to working.

defrost 6 times a day ?

I thought the only thing that did that was a residential refrigerator .....

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast