Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    A 14 year old girl cannot legally give consent, making this an illegal act.
    2 14 yr olds can legally have sex.

Quote Originally Posted by chaard View Post
    2 14 yr olds can legally have sex.
    This is not correct according to the laws of my state.

Your state may be different.

Both persons must be of age to consent and any person below the age of consent cannot, by definition, give consent.

Government intervention on the church...now that's a good one. The new gubermentscan not even interpret the constitution properly. Now they think they can comprehend the bible. Both document were written by people far superior than todays mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfshadow View Post
    Religious folk are in a catch 22 with this JP. Either it has nothing to do with religion and what their religion says will have no bearing on the laws surrounding it, or its a religious institution and the government can't make laws concerning it and thus gay people simply have to establish their own church to be married.
    What is interesting about this is: The 'alternative lifestyle' folks (read that gay and lessie) DO have their own church, which DOES do marriages... I remember it all the way back to the mid 1970's.

I guess it was not enough to have their own party... they have to shove it down everyone else's throats (no graphics intended).

I agree with the idea of govt staying OUT of marriage... it resolves the issue of the govt telling folks who can and cannot get married.

As I remember the founding documents; The govt is not supposed to make the laws... they are supposed to enforce the freedom clauses in the founding documents. Perhaps if the govt would get their attitude straight; they could go back to guaranteeing equal rights, rather than legislating political favoritism.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

God made homosexuals, too.

Your argument falls apart when you slowly realize that to be true.

If He created them, then they cannot be all that wrong, now can they.

As to my comment about "both ways" you cannot cry about government intervention in your church, then cry FOR government intervention when it suits you.

Marriage, as I said before, predates all religions, least of all the youngster of the group, Christianity. The argument of religion as a "sacrament" is a foolish one at best.
    I am not buying that my God made folks gay/lezzy.

I read a rather long article from a medical journal a few years back... A quick summary goes like this: A person who was born without any trace of diabetes and with no family history of diabetes (including NO diabetes gene)... can develop type 2 diabetes in their later life if they abuse sugar... nothing new here... we all know that.
    What was interesting was: The researcher did DNA tests on these folks who developed type 2 diabetes and found a gene for diabetes. The researcher concluded that genes mutate with host conditions. SOOO... a person without a diabetes gene can develop one.

GA's conclusion... So why could not a person in a gay or lezzy relationship develop a 'gay' gene?

The answer is in the way science is interpreted (that is, the politics of the person paying for the research ). On the one hand... the gay community wants to believe they were born that way (kinda an excuse IMO). Yet on the other hand we have potential proof that genes can mutate to accommodate the host... so a gay gene could develop in a body that was not born with one.

Seems to me there is really no scientific proof of anything with genes... if they can mutate... sorry gays....
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Quote Originally Posted by chaard View Post
    Someone with morals needs to run this country
    They are... just their morals are different than ours.

We really need to vote based on morals rather than whether one is a slicker public speaker than the other.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

This is not correct according to the laws of my state.

Your state may be different.

Both persons must be of age to consent and any person below the age of consent cannot, by definition, give consent.

Same in my state... the age is 17 to give consent.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Mech View Post
    Government intervention on the church...now that's a good one. The new gubermentscan not even interpret the constitution properly. Now they think they can comprehend the bible. Both document were written by people far superior than todays mentality.
    Agree 100%!

Problem is... a person full of themself will never admit this until they are flat on their face in a muddy ditch with folks laughing at them. Until then... in their minds it is spin city.

What we need is voters who are smart enough to sort out spin and truth... or for that matter who care enough to bother to do so.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    What is interesting about this is: The 'alternative lifestyle' folks (read that gay and lessie) DO have their own church, which DOES do marriages... I remember it all the way back to the mid 1970's.

I guess it was not enough to have their own party... they have to shove it down everyone else's throats (no graphics intended).

I agree with the idea of govt staying OUT of marriage... it resolves the issue of the govt telling folks who can and cannot get married.

As I remember the founding documents; The govt is not supposed to make the laws... they are supposed to enforce the freedom clauses in the founding documents. Perhaps if the govt would get their attitude straight; they could go back to guaranteeing equal rights, rather than legislating political favoritism.
    Ga,

It isn't about a church marriage. It is about gay/lesbian couples having the same benefits as heterosexual couples. The same insurance benefits, the same tax advantages, etc.

THAT is what this federal case was all about.

Ga,

It isn't about a church marriage. It is about gay/lesbian couples having the same benefits as heterosexual couples. The same insurance benefits, the same tax advantages, etc.

THAT is what this federal case was all about.
    \

Yes, I know that. If the govt was not involved in marriage, it would not be an issue. That was the point I was making.

I will say this again: The founders built a system where the govt was supposed to be enforcing the right to freedom, not playing politics to buy votes from one group while penalizing the other group to pay for those votes.

Even in our technical work; we know we have to define the problem to fix it... not put useless bandaids on it all day long... while ignoring the REAL issue (which IMO is govt gone astray).

When Americans step up to the plate and make polecats accountable (read that get involved), things will change. Until then... all the griping the bandwidth of the entire internet could handle will not make .01% difference.

So GA says: Get involved and work to change things, or quit-chur-fussin'
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

\

Yes, I know that. If the govt was not involved in marriage, it would not be an issue. That was the point I was making.
    So SCOTUS ruled DOMA null and void. That removes one government entaglement with marriage. You should be happy.

I will say this again: The founders built a system where the govt was supposed to be enforcing the right to freedom.
    Which is exactly what SCOTUS did in striking down DOMA.

You should be happy.

When Americans step up to the plate and make polecats accountable (read that get involved), things will change. Until then... all the griping the bandwidth of the entire internet could handle will not make .01% difference.

Yes, you have pounded this message into the ground. The question is: What have you done to involve yourself in these issues besides fussing on an internet forum?

\

I will say this again: The founders built a system where the govt was supposed to be enforcing the right to freedom, not playing politics to buy votes from one group while penalizing the other group to pay for those votes.

Even in our technical work; we know we have to define the problem to fix it... not put useless bandaids on it all day long... while ignoring the REAL issue (which IMO is govt gone astray).

So you are saying that nobody should get tax breaks for being married and that every married person should be on the same footing as a single person? As I see it that is who is getting shafted in this whole marriage proposal.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

I'm gonna go another direction here, but what about states rights? Didn't the PEOPLE of California vote in favor of DOMA? Why is it that a few (The SCOTUS) be able to over ride the wishes of a majority who participated in a legal vote?

Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast