+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: yeah just leave it layin there.

Post Likes

yeah just leave it layin there.

Laziness !
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Likes
    almost looks like a precharged lineset...?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
    almost looks like a precharged lineset...?

Post Likes
    Looks like winter money to me.

jim
    Common sense isn't very common anymore.

Post Likes
    Yes, that is a pre-charged lineset. That's what it is supposed to look like. The install manual that came with that unit would have said to not cut the lineset, and to leave it coiled up near the condenser. It's not lazy to read and follow the install instructions, like that guy has done.

I agree it looks stupid, and I can see how it might be hard for a true professional who cares about what they are doing to leave it like that. I would not get mad at someone for cutting the lineset and making it shorter and making it look nice, but it is what it is.

It kind of reminds me of a gas piping job I did several years ago. We had to run gas piping from the basement of a 2 story commercial building, up to the roof. My boss had just found out about CSST (Gastite) and wanted to try it out. I was unrolling it across the roof and connecting it to rooftop units. After I unrolled it I strapped it to a bunch of pipe support blocks and spent a lot of time trying to straighten it out and make it look as nice as possible. Right after I got it as straight and nice looking as I could, a big gust of wind came and blew it all around into a big wavy mess again. Half of the pipe blocks weren't even touching the roof anymore. The stuff was so light weight, that there wasn't much I could do. I just threw my hands up in the air and gave up. My boss saw the job that I did, and thankfully, that was the last time we ever used that stuff on a roof.

I keep waiting for the day that someone will put a picture of it here in the WOS.

Post Likes
    Looks like its on a roof so maybe not as big of a deal, but wouldn't that just make damage or theft inevitable if installed ground level?

Post Likes
    Could've made a better stand and tucked it under there, the old pallet wood platforms are a nice touch though I guess.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzalez1 View Post
    Laziness !
    What roof is that on top of? (Business)

Post Likes
    Thats an LDL lineset. Ive also seen 30 ft of 1/4" copper liquid line wadded up in the attic on really old split systems and was told by an old timer once that it was the "metering device" of its time.
    Last edited by Atticmonkey777; 06-28-2013 at 07:34 PM. Reason: spelling
    Quoted by "bmathews"

"Just call somebody out. Nobody on here can fix it from over the computer."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jackintheboxtec View Post
    What roof is that on top of? (Business)
    Thats on a burger king. does it look familiar. yea that is a pre charged line set.

Post Likes
    Looks like a hoshizaki remote condenser with a pre charged line set. I just did one similar to that and was told not to cut the lines. Plus it rush, to get ice machine up and running. Still when they close this winter for a day I will shorten the line sets making sure that the ice bin is full before I start.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzalez1 View Post
    Thats on a burger king. does it look familiar. yea that is a pre charged line set.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turtleman View Post
    Only looks familiar because i'v seen it a few times! Not that big of a deal, The manufacture tells you to coil access on roof. Nothing to do with lazy!

Post Likes
    They could've tried harder to coil it up. Maybe even a few wire ties. Did one like that in a residence many years ago. Pre Charged line set
    and was told not to cut it. Customer called us back and when I told her that is what you are supposed to do she presented us with literature stating that there is nothing wrong with cutting it. Boy were we red faced she knew more about it than us. Never coiled one up again. I never even buy pre charged line sets any more.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Post Likes
    Yeah you dont have to cut them. But you could easily leave it tucked up in the rafters. just makes em look cleaner.
    Sent from the van with the a/c on.

Post Likes
    Interestingly Fijutsu will not allow the lines to be coiled. Will void warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by The Turtleman View Post
    Yeah you dont have to cut them. But you could easily leave it tucked up in the rafters. just makes em look cleaner.

Post Likes
    Don't have to cut them. But you don't have to cut copper tubing to length either. You can just open a roll of 3/4 and 3/8 roll it out and hook it up. Leave the excess coiled up at the cond. But would you? Do it rite or go mop floors guys. Just saying.

Post Likes
    I cut them all and pull a vacuum on the newly shortened pretty looking lineset. Leaving them coiled like that on a roof or in an attic is a leak waiting to happen. Leaving that on the roof is dangerous. Cover that with a foot of snow, trip and bust your mouth open on the condenser.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    Interestingly Fijutsu will not allow the lines to be coiled. Will void warranty.
    I don't know about specific mfgs but if you leave the coils, they need to lay flat. If you leave the coils upright/vertical the oil magically makes its way into the loops and boom goes the dynamite.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    With todays copper prices why would anyone want to leave a coil anyway?
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    My guesses are:

1. It's for ease of installation of ice machines w/remote condensers to reduce the costs of the initial sell. A packaged deal with simplicity of installation is cheaper than the unit with the ancillary costs by installing in the more professional, old fashioned ways.

2. When repairs are needed, specified refrigerant charge on data sticker of unit is more accurately known for a system with a predetermined, precharged factory lineset. I've had manufacturers ask what's the length of lineset to determine refrigerant charge for repairs.

Nonetheless, I TOO am so compelled to fix those unsightly messes. It looks worse than Dick Proenneke's log cabin in Alaska if he hadn't trimmed the corners to finish it off.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in