Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 14 to 21 of 21
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    riverside calif
    Posts
    71
    Yeah you dont have to cut them. But you could easily leave it tucked up in the rafters. just makes em look cleaner.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    3,692
    Interestingly Fijutsu will not allow the lines to be coiled. Will void warranty.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Turtleman View Post
    Yeah you dont have to cut them. But you could easily leave it tucked up in the rafters. just makes em look cleaner.

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Western KY
    Posts
    1,221
    Don't have to cut them. But you don't have to cut copper tubing to length either. You can just open a roll of 3/4 and 3/8 roll it out and hook it up. Leave the excess coiled up at the cond. But would you? Do it rite or go mop floors guys. Just saying.

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicagoland Area
    Posts
    4,838
    I cut them all and pull a vacuum on the newly shortened pretty looking lineset. Leaving them coiled like that on a roof or in an attic is a leak waiting to happen. Leaving that on the roof is dangerous. Cover that with a foot of snow, trip and bust your mouth open on the condenser.
    Officially, Down for the count

    YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

    I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicagoland Area
    Posts
    4,838
    Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    Interestingly Fijutsu will not allow the lines to be coiled. Will void warranty.
    I don't know about specific mfgs but if you leave the coils, they need to lay flat. If you leave the coils upright/vertical the oil magically makes its way into the loops and boom goes the dynamite.
    Officially, Down for the count

    YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

    I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    south jersey
    Posts
    1,131
    With todays copper prices why would anyone want to leave a coil anyway?
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    832
    My guesses are:

    1. It's for ease of installation of ice machines w/remote condensers to reduce the costs of the initial sell. A packaged deal with simplicity of installation is cheaper than the unit with the ancillary costs by installing in the more professional, old fashioned ways.

    2. When repairs are needed, specified refrigerant charge on data sticker of unit is more accurately known for a system with a predetermined, precharged factory lineset. I've had manufacturers ask what's the length of lineset to determine refrigerant charge for repairs.

    Nonetheless, I TOO am so compelled to fix those unsightly messes. It looks worse than Dick Proenneke's log cabin in Alaska if he hadn't trimmed the corners to finish it off.

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    3,692
    You are right or on the last ice machine. It was just get it done. I did and it looks like crap.
    Next time they close I will remove all the 404, weigh it shorten the damn lines, and make it appear as if I knew what I was doing. I wonder how much oil will be trapped in the meantime as they are coiled behind the unit. Who wants to leave them in a black roof with all of the AC around and the sun beating down, or atleast when it isn't raining.
    Quote Originally Posted by ECtofix View Post
    My guesses are:

    1. It's for ease of installation of ice machines w/remote condensers to reduce the costs of the initial sell. A packaged deal with simplicity of installation is cheaper than the unit with the ancillary costs by installing in the more professional, old fashioned ways.

    2. When repairs are needed, specified refrigerant charge on data sticker of unit is more accurately known for a system with a predetermined, precharged factory lineset. I've had manufacturers ask what's the length of lineset to determine refrigerant charge for repairs.

    Nonetheless, I TOO am so compelled to fix those unsightly messes. It looks worse than Dick Proenneke's log cabin in Alaska if he hadn't trimmed the corners to finish it off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event