Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yeah you dont have to cut them. But you could easily leave it tucked up in the rafters. just makes em look cleaner.

Interestingly Fijutsu will not allow the lines to be coiled. Will void warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by The Turtleman View Post
    Yeah you dont have to cut them. But you could easily leave it tucked up in the rafters. just makes em look cleaner.

Don't have to cut them. But you don't have to cut copper tubing to length either. You can just open a roll of 3/4 and 3/8 roll it out and hook it up. Leave the excess coiled up at the cond. But would you? Do it rite or go mop floors guys. Just saying.

I cut them all and pull a vacuum on the newly shortened pretty looking lineset. Leaving them coiled like that on a roof or in an attic is a leak waiting to happen. Leaving that on the roof is dangerous. Cover that with a foot of snow, trip and bust your mouth open on the condenser.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    Interestingly Fijutsu will not allow the lines to be coiled. Will void warranty.
    I don't know about specific mfgs but if you leave the coils, they need to lay flat. If you leave the coils upright/vertical the oil magically makes its way into the loops and boom goes the dynamite.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

With todays copper prices why would anyone want to leave a coil anyway?
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

My guesses are:

1. It's for ease of installation of ice machines w/remote condensers to reduce the costs of the initial sell. A packaged deal with simplicity of installation is cheaper than the unit with the ancillary costs by installing in the more professional, old fashioned ways.

2. When repairs are needed, specified refrigerant charge on data sticker of unit is more accurately known for a system with a predetermined, precharged factory lineset. I've had manufacturers ask what's the length of lineset to determine refrigerant charge for repairs.

Nonetheless, I TOO am so compelled to fix those unsightly messes. It looks worse than Dick Proenneke's log cabin in Alaska if he hadn't trimmed the corners to finish it off.

You are right or on the last ice machine. It was just get it done. I did and it looks like crap.
    Next time they close I will remove all the 404, weigh it shorten the damn lines, and make it appear as if I knew what I was doing. I wonder how much oil will be trapped in the meantime as they are coiled behind the unit. Who wants to leave them in a black roof with all of the AC around and the sun beating down, or atleast when it isn't raining.
    Quote Originally Posted by ECtofix View Post
    My guesses are:

1. It's for ease of installation of ice machines w/remote condensers to reduce the costs of the initial sell. A packaged deal with simplicity of installation is cheaper than the unit with the ancillary costs by installing in the more professional, old fashioned ways.

2. When repairs are needed, specified refrigerant charge on data sticker of unit is more accurately known for a system with a predetermined, precharged factory lineset. I've had manufacturers ask what's the length of lineset to determine refrigerant charge for repairs.

Nonetheless, I TOO am so compelled to fix those unsightly messes. It looks worse than Dick Proenneke's log cabin in Alaska if he hadn't trimmed the corners to finish it off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12