Thread: Trane XB 80 Furnace and XB13 Condenser

Post Likes

Trane XB 80 Furnace and XB13 Condenser

What do you think of this combination as replacement units for 2000 ft2 home? We are light users of A/C and moderate users of furnace here in a mild climate. Existing (original) units were builder supplied Lennox 4 ton. The pricing is good, I need to make a decision on it by noon tomorrow to get preferred pricing. I'm not looking for anything extra fancy. Install company is well recommended. Go with this or keep shopping?

TRANE XB 80 Furnace
    80% Efficient 1 Stage Non Variable Speed
    60,000 BTU
    Warr: 1 yr. Labor, 10yr. Parts, 20 yr. Heat Exchanger

Trane Standard Coil Upflow R410a

TRANE XB13 Condenser
    13 SEER 410
    4 Ton
    Warr: 1 yr. Labor, 10 yr. Parts, 10 yr. Compressor

Post Likes
    Decent enough for low end. If budget permits, the XR13 is a nicer unit but if not, the XB will do the job, just be noisier and may not have a Trane compressor. Key is best possible installation.

Post Likes
    The 60k XB80 furnace has a 3 ton blower, so that is an issue with the 4 ton air conditioner. There is an 80k model with a 4 ton drive: TUE1B080A9481A. Has the dealer done a load calculation? Given a mild climate and usage, 4 tons is likely more than needed in a 2000 square foot home despite what was there before. If 4 tons is needed, then you'll have to get the 80k furnace and have the dealer verify your ductwork is sized to handle the airflow required.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    The 60k XB80 furnace has a 3 ton blower, so that is an issue with the 4 ton air conditioner. There is an 80k model with a 4 ton drive: TUE1B080A9481A. Has the dealer done a load calculation? Given a mild climate and usage, 4 tons is likely more than needed in a 2000 square foot home despite what was there before. If 4 tons is needed, then you'll have to get the 80k furnace and have the dealer verify your ductwork is sized to handle the airflow required.
    Two contractors I had out both insist it's 1ton per 500 sq ft. Even when I bring up the idea that 3 ton could be adequate from what I've read on this forum they are close to adamant that it's 1ton/500. I mentioned load calc's but they just shrug and say it works out to 1ton/500 unless the home has extraordinary insulation.

Would I be wise to push for 3 ton? I typically close off 1 or two rooms when either heating or cooling and the air velocity coming thru vents from my old 4 ton seemed a bit fast and noisy to me. Maybe going with the 3 ton capacity furnace & fan would be quieter and provide less system cycling and a more uniform environment inside?

Post Likes
    Good catch on the drive Ryan.

A Manual J is the only way to size equipment. Probably time to shrug and call someone who doesn't shrug when it comes to doing it right.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the inputs. BTW, where do you get detailed info like fan capacity, etc? All I see on the websites I Google are dumbed down sales brochures with pretty pictures.

Post Likes
    TUE1B060A9361A

That's the model # of the 60,000 XB80. The 36 towards the end means it moves around 36,000 BTUs worth of air (400 CFM/ton or 1200 CFM) depending upon duct pressures. Most of Trane's technical stuff is only available to dealers but you can see how Ryan knew that the 60K furnace was the wrong match for a 4 ton A/C. The TUE1B080B948... would be the match for a 4 ton A/C.

Yes, noise in a register or duct means too much air for the size of the register or duct.

Post Likes
    A good choose for basic Trane system but as pointed out the furnace will have to able move enough cfm for a (4) ton system.

In Trane the smallest XB 80 model with a (4) ton drive is 80,000 btu's which would be 64,000 btu's worth of heat. Most homes don't need that much heat.

A load cal will shine some lite on what the proper sized heating and cooling system you need for your home. If your home requires (4) to worth of air but only needs 48,000 btu's of heat or less. You might want to talk to your installing company about a (2) stage gas furance with (4) ton drive.

In Trane the furance to look at for this would be a XV80 (2) stage variable speed. Ask your installer about this and have him show you load cal for the home for both heating and cooling loads.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in