Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is Bryant worth 15% more than Goodman?

I have two quotes both from reputable contractors, 4 ton replacement A/C and furnace. Assuming all other factors equal and considering only life of equipment and costs of repairs and service over next 12 years, is there enough extra quality in Bryant to justify the added cost? Only thing I have to go by is Consumer Reports data that show Goodman somewhat below Bryant in terms of reliability.

Perhaps the Bryant installs were a little better...? That Directly affects reliability...

Goodman has a good warranty; I'm okay with anything 14-SEER or above with Goodman, with a quality install & proper design of all other sub-systems.

Quote Originally Posted by cjccmc View Post
    I have two quotes both from reputable contractors, 4 ton replacement A/C and furnace. Assuming all other factors equal and considering only life of equipment and costs of repairs and service over next 12 years, is there enough extra quality in Bryant to justify the added cost? Only thing I have to go by is Consumer Reports data that show Goodman somewhat below Bryant in terms of reliability.
    Its impossible to say one way or the other because you aren't buying preassembled boxes and no two contractors are created equal.

Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    Perhaps the Bryant installs were a little better...? That Directly affects reliability...

Goodman has a good warranty; I'm okay with anything 14-SEER or above with Goodman, with a quality install & proper design of all other sub-systems.
    Consumer Reports article did point out that replacement units of all brands showed higher reliability which they suggest was due to better quality installs than original builder.

Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    Its impossible to say one way or the other because you aren't buying preassembled boxes and no two contractors are created equal.
    From a homeowners standpoint all you can do is assume that any two reputable contractors will do an equal job. But maybe it's valid to assume that lower cost brands are generally offered by "discount" outfits who will do a lower quality install? My quotes do not separate equipment and labor charges, just show a lump sum that includes both.

that assumption is massively unfounded. contractors are like any other labor force. experience and training result in better quality installations.
    builders consider the HVAC as an expense on their balance sheet. homeowners consider HVAC as the biggest expense in the home construction that isn't noticed until it does not work, or the power bill comes.
    a higher quality installation reduces the bills and improves the comfort.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...
    The three big summer hearththrobs...
    Mel Gibson
    Dwane Johnson
    The A/C repairman

Model #s? You could be comparing low end 1 brand to higher end next brand.

Bryant models are 113A a/c & 310 furnace. Legacy line.

Still waiting to see what Goodman nos. will be when written quote received, but I was given a pretty close estimate of cost in advance, which is how I arrived at 15% diff.

The Bryants are the lowest of the line. Some 113 A/Cs were going to Korean compressors. No frills in either one. Let's see what Goodman is proposing.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    The Bryants are the lowest of the line. Some 113 A/Cs were going to Korean compressors. No frills in either one. Let's see what Goodman is proposing.
    Turns out they quoted Amana AMH80804BX and ASX130481 condenser. Amana and Goodman are essentially the same, right?

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 06-28-2013 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Non Pro * member

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

Last edited by beenthere; 06-28-2013 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Non Pro * member

Last edited by beenthere; 06-28-2013 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Non Pro * member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast