Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad N View Post
    that they'd do it all at their cost, which he said would cost me an extra $$$$$ for everything installed.
    Well, if they would have sold you the right combo in the beginning, you would not be spending any extra money. Now they sold you a furnace, over their mistake, yes the 16seer two stage is a nice setup, but it's the principle of the whole thing that gets under my skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

They offered me three options:
    1) They'd replace the 14.5 SEER single-stage unit with a 16 SEER two-stage unit since that would satisfy the two things the sales guy told me (although they said that with my old furnace, the two-stage wouldn't actually add any efficiency.
    Can't even believe they would have even offered this option, what were they going to run it on high all the time? What happened is they screwed up, and they are trying their best to work something out with you, rather the combination works correctly or not. The only choice they have offered that will work is the 2 stage deal.

“Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Can't even believe they would have even offered this option, what were they going to run it on high all the time? What happened is they screwed up, and they are trying their best to work something out with you, rather the combination works correctly or not. The only choice they have offered that will work is the 2 stage deal.

Thanks again for all the advice. It sounds like I really should have a new furnace and that as long as the price is right, I should have them replace the furnace (as well as switch out the 14.5 SEER Rheem single-stage unit they put in for the Rheem 16 SEER two-stage unit). I don't have any real way of knowing if the 2800 they are asking for the new furnace (and thermostat) (on top of the money I already spent) is a good deal. The guy makes it sound like he is giving me an amazing price to make up for all the other stuff, but I would expect him to say that.

The RARL is a superb machine BUT as has been said, not appropriate for your old blower. The SEER with a RCFL and old blower is 13.00 so worse than the 14AJM. If they'll give you a deal on a VS furnace and the RARL, you have a humdinger of a system. If not, keep the 14AJM.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    The RARL is a superb machine BUT as has been said, not appropriate for your old blower. The SEER with a RCFL and old blower is 13.00 so worse than the 14AJM. If they'll give you a deal on a VS furnace and the RARL, you have a humdinger of a system. If not, keep the 14AJM.
    While I have not gotten the exact specs from the company, I was under the assumption that the two-stage Rheem would still be the value series two-stage, so a 16AJL system as opposed to a RARL, which is the Prestige Series and (my guess is) a huge upgrade.

I think what I would be getting is a VS (is that variable stage?) and a 16AJL, which is supposedly a 16 SEER. LOL, while I still know nothing, it is amazing how a few days of this has gotten me from where I was, which is knowing less than nothing--probably even more dangerous. :-p

Take #3. You wont be sorry.

(details on contract are model 14AJM36A01 air conditioner and RCFC-HM3617AC evaporator coil).
    All he would have had to do is, drop in a RGPT-05EBMKR 80% X-13 Furnace and you would have been at 15 seer, like you originally wanted. He took you the long way around the barn, to up-sale you. I personally don't like the tactic, but it's your $$$$$. His salesman really needs to study his price book for future sales, all the seer combinations are right there in black and white. Or better yet, left it at 14.5 seer and just knocked off a couple bucks for the mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    All he would have had to do is, drop in a RGPT-05EBMKR 80% X-13 Furnace and you would have been at 15 seer, like you originally wanted. He took you the long way around the barn, to up-sale you. I personally don't like the tactic, but it's your $$$$$. His salesman really needs to study his price book for future sales, all the seer combinations are right there in black and white. Or better yet, left it at 14.5 seer and just knocked off a couple bucks for the mistake.
    Well, he did agree he would just take off 400 bucks if I want to keep everything as is.

If I go for the new system, here is my new quote:
    Keeping the same Rheem coil. (RCFL-HM3617AC). I have sent him an email back, because I'm not sure this particular coil can get me above 14.5 SEER with the below system--the Rheem website suggests otherwise.
    Getting a Prestige series 16 SEER Rheem RAHL 038JEZ
    Getting a Rheem 2 stage variable speed gas furnace (RGPE-07EAMKR)
    Getting a new programmable thermostat (Rheem RHC-TST 305).

Extra cost of 2850 to get the furnace, upgrade the unit from the 14AJM, and get the thermostat. Still don't know if that is any good, but it seems decent? Essentially 6450 for everything if you don't count the 700 I spent to get them out there and get my old unit working, which I was supposed to get credit for, so you could look at it more as 7150 for everything if I just bought the system before needing the repair on my old one.

Oh, and Bald, you were right in that it was a RARL. Good call.

.Getting a Prestige series 16 SEER Rheem RAHL 038JEZ.
    RAHL? is this the correct model #? For the record I am a Ruud dealer, Ruud/Rheem same thing there identical, just different names, and I am not being negative at all, even though I might seem to be, I would have just handled it differentially that's all.

Getting a Rheem 2 stage variable speed gas furnace (RGPE-07EAMKR).
    Were are you getting these model numbers? also for a 3-ton you need the RGPE-05EBMKR....All this running around, tell me what you want, and I will list the "exact" model numbers you will need to get there.

Good. The 16AJL is only rated with an air handler, not furnace coil anyway. But I did forget that machine .

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Good. The 16AJL is only rated with an air handler, not furnace coil anyway. But I did forget that machine .
    Hey Brad, you got your a/c company straightened out yet? tell them if the need any help putting your Rheem system together seer wise, Mr. Bill can show the the model numbers they need to get you there. This almost sounds like an internet company deal, with all the hoops you have been through.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast