Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    660

    SSI Media Gauge anyone use these?

    http://www.ssi-sensors.com/wp/mediagauge-digital-gauge/

    I was watching a episode of mythbusters from season 11 and saw them using one of these gauges to monitor nitrogen pressure in an ice hail gun. I looked it up and it has diaphragm that allows you to measure pressure on all kinds of stuff water, sea water, refrigerants, oil, and air. Anyone use them?

    I would not dare use my digicools to check differential water pressure on a chiller but, this could and pneumatics too. Anyway looks cools.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    wedged in freezer shelf
    Posts
    6,652
    Did you check price yet? The ones I've seen like that are very expensive.
    FWIW I've use my anything goes beater set of testos for water pressure before. IMO you shouldn't have anything to worry about deticating a Digi-Cool set for water pressure.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    822
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Did you check price yet? The ones I've seen like that are very expensive.
    FWIW I've use my anything goes beater set of testos for water pressure before. IMO you shouldn't have anything to worry about deticating a Digi-Cool set for water pressure.
    I believe the testos are actually rated for water. I would think that any of the digital gauges would be able to handle water.

    Makes me wonder about glycol......

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    wedged in freezer shelf
    Posts
    6,652
    Item #: 3JZA7
    Found one at granger for just over 100
    1% 300 psi

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    22
    I just would like to share this doc:

    What you should know about digital test gauge accuracy… Terminal Point versus Best Fit Straight Line Accuracy.
    http://www.ashcroft.com/products/dig...d/AshDTG-1.pdf

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    wedged in freezer shelf
    Posts
    6,652
    Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo7 View Post
    I just would like to share this doc:

    What you should know about digital test gauge accuracy… Terminal Point versus Best Fit Straight Line Accuracy.
    http://www.ashcroft.com/products/dig...d/AshDTG-1.pdf
    Are those all about 1 grand a pop?
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Are those all about 1 grand a pop?
    Yes, they cost almost US$1000.00

    This one cost US$258.64 and it has the same resolution (0.01 psi)

    http://www.amazon.com/ASHCROFT-DG255.../dp/B00AM1ZRKA

    http://www.ashcroft.com/products/dig.../AshDG25-1.pdf

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    wedged in freezer shelf
    Posts
    6,652
    Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo7 View Post
    Yes, they cost almost US$1000.00

    This one cost US$258.64 and it has the same resolution (0.01 psi)

    http://www.amazon.com/ASHCROFT-DG255.../dp/B00AM1ZRKA

    http://www.ashcroft.com/products/dig.../AshDG25-1.pdf
    Looks like that one has the same spec as the low side of a Digi-Cool AK-900 and cost the same as buying it without the manifold from TTT
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Looks like that one has the same spec as the low side of a Digi-Cool AK-900 and cost the same as buying it without the manifold from TTT
    No. This Ashcroft gauge has a resolution 25 times better than the AK-900

    From the AK-900 data sheet:
    "Digital readings have ¼ psi resolution on low side, 1 psi resolution on high side"

    http://digi-cool.com/wp-content/uplo...-sheet-web.pdf

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    660
    Yeah, price looks reasonable on the ssi. You could build your own manifold with these things or use them for distant pressures. The old me would buy one and check it but, I'm trying to cutback on tool purchases.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    wedged in freezer shelf
    Posts
    6,652
    Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo7 View Post
    No. This Ashcroft gauge has a resolution 25 times better than the AK-900

    From the AK-900 data sheet:
    "Digital readings have ¼ psi resolution on low side, 1 psi resolution on high side"

    http://digi-cool.com/wp-content/uplo...-sheet-web.pdf
    The resolution is higher but the accuracy is the same.
    I don't see the point of them displaying the high res. on the 1% version. The high dollar Ashcroft version is rated at a much better accuracy where the extra resolution might be worth reading. They are just using the same display for the cheaper version.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    The resolution is higher but the accuracy is the same.
    I don't see the point of them displaying the high res. on the 1% version. The high dollar Ashcroft version is rated at a much better accuracy where the extra resolution might be worth reading. They are just using the same display for the cheaper version.
    itsiceman,

    First of all let me make clear that I’m not saying that the Ashcroft DG25 digital gauge is a substitute for the AK-900. No, it isn’t!

    A 0.01 psi resolution gauge may be a very good tool to do pressure test with nitrogen. The accuracy is not so important for pressure test, but the resolution is. It doesn’t matter if the system was pressurized with 149 or 150 psi. What we are looking for is if the pressure will drop. A 0.01 psi resolution gauge will give us this answer 100 times faster than a 1 psi resolution gauge will.

    Best regards,
    Eduardo

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    wedged in freezer shelf
    Posts
    6,652
    If the reading doesn't bounce around due to the low accuracy you would be right

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event