Post Likes

Trane chiller cgam temp sensor replacement

I have a fault with a cgam046 trane chiller . It faults on high suction temperature . I found that the suction temp sensor was out of calibration by 3 degrees . Is there any way of calibrating the sensor . If I need to change the sensor does the gas charge need to be removed . I could pump the system down but as it only holds 15 kg of r410 it would not take long to reclaim. It looks like the sensor sits in a pot and has no direct contact with the refrigerant .
    Also has anyone had gas leak issues with the air cooled condensors on these units . It appears that I have a gas leak on the other circuit in the middle of the coil where the pipework is supported [oil leak] . This chiller is only about 3 years old and is one of 3 . I have had contactors fail and a condenser fan motor issues on the other units as well as main circuit breakers fail . Easy to navigate through the display but reliability a bit of a concern .

Post Likes
    CGAM 052F here and I find it curious that the temp sensor is off by 3 degrees. I have the same issue here on circuit 2, that being we have a high suction fault. Trane came out and discovers that with the sensor removed and compared to a Fluke hand held in ambient temperature the two disagree by 3 degrees. Not 2, not 5, but 3. The circuit when running shows a suction temperature around 80degF, we are trying to trap the data at fault time. I do not have any idea at what temperature the point faults at and Trane indicates that it varies. 3 degrees versus 80 degrees, that is on circuit 2 while at the same time circuit 1 runs with a suction temperature around 50 degrees. It would be helpful if there were a decent description of the system that could help set up a test for the fault. We have ordered a new sensor but I am not very confident.

Post Likes
    I agree with you. 3 degrees difference does not explain why your suction temp is 80 degrees.
    I would check exv operation position when running and subcooling to see if it is a charge issue or exv issue?

Post Likes
    To make a long story short the diagnostic trips on a degree seconds program. basically the longer the temp is out of its parameter and the further the temp is away from its parameter make it rip faster based on given conditions. Is the psi tranducer accurate?

Post Likes
    Ok in the end I replaced the sensor and had to get TRANE to come out as the old sensor has to be removed from the programme and then the new sensor needs to be binded to the programme. After this I have not had a problem with the system. Interestingly the new sensor is different than the old sensor. I then had the same fault occur on the other stage. Again the sensor was out by 3-4 degrees and This stage had oil staining on the air cooled coil. I removed 13 kg of gas should have been 15. Pressure testing the coil with it seperated so I wouldn't damage the chilled water heat exchanger showed that there was a crack on condenser pipe work where it goes through the steel support.
    On one of the other machines I have had a fault for loss of communications with discharge transducer. I have unplugged this to create the same fault as there are 2 sensors in the discharge. I assume this transducer will also require binding. I had to get the firmware updated the last time as well as TRANE have updated all their systems.
    I wonder if the problems on these machines are due to all the sensors and connectors being exposed to the elements as I have other chillers Carrier and Powerpax that have never had these sorts of problems.

Post Likes
    If i remember correctly, you suction temp has to be 5.5 degrees above your leving water temp for 5 minutes for this fault to occur.

Post Likes
    hi,

please give a CGAM chiller part no list

chiller model no CGAM045E1C01B4A1AXA1C1AXXB1B2AXXXXXXXA4A

Post Likes
    I am having the same issue with a cgam chiller less than 2 years old. It seems the sensor fails to read accurately all the time. When I would check it it was about 3 degrees off. Another tech caught it about 8 degrees off. When he restarted it was only 3 off again. Seems to be some kind of problem with these sensors. Tried to replace sensor and could not get new sensor to communicate to bind. Was told that the program needed to be updated on my laptop.