condensers to scrap yard........

Got a couple of condensers to take to scrap yard. Do I need to break them down and pull all the copper, does the alum. fins need to be taken off the copper or how does the yard want them. Anybody done this before.

And before anybody suggest it they are not stolen, they are change outs. Thank ya
    i CAN spell i just cant type

To get the best prices we flatten the coils and cut off the the end with the plates and U tubes. scrap that seperate. Also any other copper the cleaner the better price. cut off fittings and braze joints. how much you want to do is up to you.
    or you can just dump it on the ground but you will get a lot less money for it. Cleaner means dis similar metals not oil and grime

What have you done with them in the past? Get the coils out. Cut the u-tubes off and throw that into a seperate can. Cut all the other copper out and toss it in with the u-tubes. Then take the coils and the can with the smaller scrap to the salvager.
    If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

what ya mean what have I done with them in the past, first time ive ever done it. Thank ya all for the info
    i CAN spell i just cant type

Quote Originally Posted by kritic View Post
    what ya mean what have I done with them in the past, first time ive ever done it. Thank ya all for the info

Pardon, couldn't help but notice that you are a pro member and joined in 2004. Just a natural assumption that you might have needed to get rid of one or two in the past.
    We scrap a mountain of old units twice a year.
    If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by kritic View Post
    Got a couple of condensers to take to scrap yard. Do I need to break them down and pull all the copper, does the alum. fins need to be taken off the copper or how does the yard want them. Anybody done this before.

And before anybody suggest it they are not stolen, they are change outs. Thank ya
    I turned in about 30# of various scrap copper last week. The paid me $1.41/lb but only if it was 100% copper. (most of it was an old lineset).

For copper that had any fittings soldered to it or wasn't 100% copper, the price went down to $.20/lb.

Based on this experience I'd suggest you try and keep it 100% copper as best you can.

It is not the U bends you cut off; it is the steel plate they pass through. Copper and aluminum coils are OK.

Davefr: Find somewhere else to scrap your metal, or tell them to get real and give you what it is really worth...I always check around and if they know that, they will give you a reasonable amount.

Kritic: If you turn a small condenser in they will give you short money or none...it means they have to strip it and time is money... If you don't want to bother with it just dump it in Dice's pond.

Last edited by vmc1161; 03-28-2007 at 06:33 PM.
    "Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Yep, cut the steel plates off the coil. Nowhere near .20 around here, at least triple that amount for the copper/aluminum coil.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.