+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You don't need that vent anymore???

Post Likes

You don't need that vent anymore???

A lady called today because she had a new roof put on her house. Roofing contractor told her she didn't need that vent coming through the roof anymore.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381529373.613353.jpg
Views: 2830
Size:  38.2 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381529391.913064.jpg
Views: 2820
Size:  43.5 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Post Likes
    Pretty soon she won't ,

When she's dead or her house burns down.

Wow

Post Likes
    I like the way the line-set is holding the vent pipe up. Those darn straps are so expensive, it's good when you can cut a corner. And piping in to the attic with an open vent pipe? No problem. Leads to less mice.
    I'll be done in just a few minutes...

Post Likes
    that ruud furnace is new, the rest of the job looks horrible!, not counting vent to no man's land (bet the new roof looks nice though! looks like new wood!) and no penetrations!

Post Likes
    what is the white wire going through the truss's?, and holding up the phantom vent? cant be romex....

Post Likes
    I've never been to the house before. After talking to the lady, she sent me the pics to my phone. She said the furnace was installed in 2011.

Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac hero View Post
    I've never been to the house before. After talking to the lady, she sent me the pics to my phone. She said the furnace was installed in 2011.

I didnt mean you did it, i know you didnt

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by garychance View Post
    what is the white wire going through the truss's?, and holding up the phantom vent? cant be romex....
    Looks like alarm system wiring.
    First time i've ever actually give them a thumbs up for there wiring/vent strap.

I saw one exactly like that, it was discovered when the homeowner became curious of a melted area on his snow covered roof.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by captube View Post
    Looks like alarm system wiring.
    First time i've ever actually give them a thumbs up for there wiring/vent strap.

I saw one exactly like that, it was discovered when the homeowner became curious of a melted area on his snow covered roof.
    you mean a vent like that? and it created a hot spot on the roof, melting the snow? pretty wild (Like a crop circle, except with snow)

Post Likes
    Roofers are geniuses. I think a felony record is also a Prerequisite for the job

Post Likes
    And roofers HATE doing any kind of warranty work. That's why they're always pushing THEIR repairs off on us.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinbrook View Post
    I like the way the line-set is holding the vent pipe up. Those darn straps are so expensive, it's good when you can cut a corner. And piping in to the attic with an open vent pipe? No problem. Leads to less mice.
    Efficient!

Post Likes
    Not familiar with that furnace, but isn't that a condensing furnace? Looks like the intake is right under the evap drain line...

Post Likes
    All of the Ruud furnaces for the past few years have solid doors and a opening up top for combustion air.

Post Likes
    Won't need a humidifier either, about a gallon of water an hour is going up that flue in the form of vapor.

Post Likes
    When you see WOS pictures like this you have to wonder how many other death traps are out there that these roofers have closed up. No less than criminal negligence.
    Avatar is a tribute to my Great Grandfather, Andrew Stewart. This pin was one of his advertisements for his heating and plumbing business. I never knew him but must of inherited his love of things mechanical since I am the only blue collar worker in the family

Post Likes
    amazing

Post Likes
    Love the 1 1/2 drain ....

Post Likes
    ...but they had the best price.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stebs View Post
    Not familiar with that furnace, but isn't that a condensing furnace? Looks like the intake is right under the evap drain line...
    It's a super quite 80%. If you use the Rheem coil and if the furnace is in a closet you can run a pipe from that hole up into the attic to make the unit run quieter. It really works too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in