Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I would have repaired that and gave them the option of new system ,that is a common problem and most times looks way worse than it is, most times will start without it! for you to not even ever seen one is scary to me ! do you get a commission on sales of new systems? new equipment is junk!

Quote Originally Posted by tjscout View Post
    I would have repaired that and gave them the option of new system ,that is a common problem and most times looks way worse than it is, most times will start without it! for you to not even ever seen one is scary to me ! do you get a commission on sales of new systems? new equipment is junk!
    Nice. And so eloquently expressed.

So you would have repaired that and charged $xxx and then qouted for a new system? That kinda underminds the whole purpose of this discussion, does it not?

17 years old... While I would have offered a quote to fix I probably would have pushed a new system. What's the rest of the system look like? I did a replacement recently where I didn't even go on the repair. The furnace was red-tagged for a cracked heat exchanger, it was 19 years old and likely low on r22 and may have had other issues. It had iced up and later simply stopped working all together. I'd have to look at what I recovered but I remember it was down 6-8oz on a 2-ton system.
    -=David=-

The PTC blew up. It happens with Carriers and it always looks that ugly. It is repairable for about $500-600 which included new board, wiring, start cap and run cap. Easy fix and may not even be the fault of the craigslist guy. Might just be a coincidence. You make fun of the CL guy, but he isn't the one that told the owner they have to replace the unit when it is an easy repair and likely the best option for the homeowner.
    In 1959, Cuba wanted "CHANGE" too.

Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    Nice. And so eloquently expressed.

So you would have repaired that and charged $xxx and then qouted for a new system? That kinda underminds the whole purpose of this discussion, does it not?
    eloquently ! thanks, we all love selling new equipment. If its 100 degrees out I will try to get them some cooling and help them make the right decision,and maybe gain a customer for life , maybe they would tell there friends and neighbors. I go on calls and hear from people a lot about how the guy just wanted to replace and not repair,they leave it broken to apply pressure on hot days,but hey you do it your way ill do it my way.
    17 years old and needing a motor or something expensive is one thing but this looks like an easy fix,but I would have to look it over!

There is no way I would recommend an expensive repair on a 17 year old machine. Been burned too many times trying to be a hero and save the customer a dollar or two. No good deed goes unpunished.

I could have had it fixed in 30 mins. Get rid of the PTC and had a real start cap and pot relay which I have on truck. Clean up some soot and turn it on

Dump the PTC soft start, they're garbage. Put in a 5-2-1 and let her rip. Have done so many times.

I would quote the repair, look at the general condition of the system. Project probable cost of repairs and energy costs in next 5 years and give them the option of a band-aid repair or system changeout.. People understand about things wearing out. Some will want to keep the old system running, some will replace now, some will repair now and schedule a replacement later. Credit the price of the repair toward the replacement when we do the replacement. Put it on my schedule and follow up.

No pressure, just informed choices.
    “I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin

How do you know the board is bad?

The wires at the board looked burned because of the fire from the PTC.

I have saved good boards from old units like these just for this purpose in case it needs to work until the system is replaced, which will be soon.

Some soap, a light brush and a water hose can get it cleaned up then blow it dry, then replace the parts that don't test out.

Quote Originally Posted by walterc View Post
    How do you know the board is bad?

The wires at the board looked burned because of the fire from the PTC.

I have saved good boards from old units like these just for this purpose in case it needs to work until the system is replaced, which will be soon.

Some soap, a light brush and a water hose can get it cleaned up then blow it dry, then replace the parts that don't test out.
    I would rather go fishing on my time off, then clean circuit boards-can't eat em.

However, my emergency parts do come from change-outs......especially the ones with new parts and dead compressors.

Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaHVAC View Post
    Customer called and said system not cooling, she had a guy off of Craigslist come repair it a couple weeks ago for the same 'no cooling' problem, now it won't even come on at all. Get out there and this is what I find:
    Attachment 397551Attachment 397561Attachment 397571Attachment 397581Attachment 397591
    Not exactly sure what happened, but surprisingly the original "tech" that made the repairs is no where to be found now!

Easy one; compressor won't start due to bad run cap, repaired by installing very costly start cap :0 , which eventually causes unit to self diagnose problem by blowing up unecessary replacement part.
    “You don't get paid for the hour. You get paid for the value you bring to the hour.” Jim Rohn

And that is why I hate working on anything in NOLA. To many people just like that customer.
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I think I would have removed melted stuff, ohmd compressor, tested run cap, then inspected and or ohmd contactor. I would have proceeded to run the compressor to see if it was locked, if start cap was needed I would use my hard start testing tool i made. I would have then checked the compressor amps and pressures, if all of that worked I would have hooked the board back up to see if it still worked. Even if it needed a new run cap or a start cap with potential relay, repaired or replaced wires ( keep lots of good wire from other jobs for this kind of stuff). As long as system ran good and didn't need a board I could fix it for under two bills, granted I am speculating a lot. Heck even if the board was bad you could still make the A/C work for now and let them decide of the want to put a new board in it later or lose the heatpump (provided there was a secondary heat source).

That's just my opinion but I really like to fix things if it is the best route for me and the customer, sometimes I replace relays on boards. Sometimes I make boards from other furnaces work (only if the board is really expensive or not available like the pulse 21) after all if the safety components all do what they are supposed to do, I don't fear re-engineering the unit, besides sometimes I can do it better than what was there factory.

For an example I just worked on a system that consisted of a goodman condenser and evaporator that were two years old, the furnace was a Kenmore I'm guessing to be over ten years but it's the only kenmore I have worked on. The complaint was a noise coming from the outdoor unit. My boss goes out and replaces the cond fan motor on warranty for tight bearings, next day we get a call for the same noise. My boss once again returns and changes the contactor and capacitor. Next day same call, he scratches his head and sends me out. I had a hunch so I checked low voltage on the contactor coil outside and I read 19v, I begin to trace the drop which is found at the circuit board. Transformer produces 26v, R and C on the board produce anything from 10v to 20v depending i guess on how you looked at it. I turned the board over and the solder joint behind the R terminal and after touching the board nothing works at all. I re-soldered the connection hooked it all back up, read voltage at the contactor again and get 25v. Everything checked out and I never got the noise but it was intermittent so I am assuming that the few weeks since the fix with no call means there is no more noise. I guess the contactor was chattering sometimes, I also returned the old contactor and capacitor since they tested out and looked brand new and my boss took those back off the bill.

The point here is had my boss sent me in the first place I would have had it fixed in an hour with no parts, not that he is a hack, he is an older guy who has a lot of experience but does not understand electricity beyond volts and amps but does not understand voltage drops or where they come from. Every time he has that problem he starts changing parts (or equipment), I like to use my meter.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast