Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

When the cheapest price becomes the most expensive..

Customer called and said system not cooling, she had a guy off of Craigslist come repair it a couple weeks ago for the same 'no cooling' problem, now it won't even come on at all. Get out there and this is what I find:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372260496.799120.jpg
Views: 5164
Size:  57.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372260527.515583.jpg
Views: 5000
Size:  54.8 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372260553.415288.jpg
Views: 4878
Size:  52.1 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372260567.782147.jpg
Views: 4826
Size:  42.0 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372260586.532093.jpg
Views: 4705
Size:  53.4 KB
    Not exactly sure what happened, but surprisingly the original "tech" that made the repairs is no where to be found now!

Whatever that part to the right of the cap was... it appears to have caused a BIG spark.

Thinking it was a bad hard start... however the rest of it is missing... ???
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Customer: "So, how much to fix it?"
    Me: "$1,231.38"
    Customer: "Geez, the last guy only charged me $100 to fix it!"
    Me: Look at customer thinking (And he did just a great job, didn't he)
    Customer: Looks at me, then looks down at the floor stupidly! "Well, I guess you get what you pay for huh?! Lets just go ahead and change it out. It will come with a warranty, right?"
    Me: "Yes, of course! Mam, going with the cheapest person can sometimes turn out to be the most expensive investment!"
    Customer: " Do you think that y'all could just bill the original guy?"
    Me: Looks at customer like she has lost her mind: "No Mam, I'm sorry, but we do not deal with those types of 'Craigslist companies' ."
    Customer: "Well, it was worth a try, huh?!"
    Me: Looks at customer, thinking.........NO! "Oh, yeah, worth a try." ....MORON,

I hate to say it but I could get that going pretty fast. It looks worse than it actually is.

Yeah, that's just one of those PTC starters that exploded. I wouldn't blame it on the previous guy either! New cap, a PSR relay and start cap. a couple spade connectors and back in business!

Quote Originally Posted by KB Cool View Post
    Yeah, that's just one of those PTC starters that exploded. I wouldn't blame it on the previous guy either! New cap, a PSR relay and start cap. a couple spade connectors and back in business!
    Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    I hate to say it but I could get that going pretty fast. It looks worse than it actually is.

agreed.

I would at least give it a try based on just the photos alone. maybe something in person says don't even try.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Yeah, I should've went more in depth I guess. What you cannot see, or smell, is the horrid smell of burnt plastic, the wires on the dfc board are not black from suit, rather slightly melted, and its a 17 y/o unit. Could I get it running? Absolutely! The problem I have is that I do my work the right way, so when I leave a job, my name is on that unit and it is my responsibility. I refuse to just patch this or anything up after a hack job, unless I go through the ENTIRE system and fix it. I'm somewhat young (27), but I love what I do and plan on doing this for the rest of my life, so I refuse to see my reputation decline in the name of 'just makin a buck'. I might not get every job I could, but I when I go home at night, I know I did right by my customers, and to me that is the greatest feeling. Hey, maybe I'm wrong, I don't know?!

Quote Originally Posted by nolaHVAC View Post
    Yeah, I should've went more in depth I guess. What you cannot see, or smell, is the horrid smell of burnt plastic, the wires on the dfc board are not black from suit, rather slightly melted, and its a 17 y/o unit. Could I get it running? Absolutely! The problem I have is that I do my work the right way, so when I leave a job, my name is on that unit and it is my responsibility. I refuse to just patch this or anything up after a hack job, unless I go through the ENTIRE system and fix it. I'm somewhat young (27), but I love what I do and plan on doing this for the rest of my life, so I refuse to see my reputation decline in the name of 'just makin a buck'. I might not get every job I could, but I when I go home at night, I know I did right by my customers, and to me that is the greatest feeling. Hey, maybe I'm wrong, I don't know?!
    Yeah, your wrong! Should have fixed it! Serious, that unit looks factory to me! Just burnt a little! What is it a Carrier Heat pump? If the compressor's trashed or maybe even the RV? Then yes! Sell them a new unit! But, anything simply electrical (wiring)is worth repairing IMO!

Quote Originally Posted by KB Cool View Post
    Yeah, your wrong! Should have fixed it! Serious, that unit looks factory to me! Just burnt a little! What is it a Carrier Heat pump? If the compressor's trashed or maybe even the RV? Then yes! Sell them a new unit! But, anything simply electrical (wiring)is worth repairing IMO!
    I am going to respectfully disagree with you, sir. If that unit looks factory to you, then we obviously do two different types of work. I assume that you missed the point that I was attempting to make. the point was not " OMG, look how messed up this is!." Rather that Some people will go with the cheapest person to get a deal, but when there is a problem,that cheapest person will not honor their work. That in turn makes it more expensive for a customer because now they have to call a reputable company (me) to go out and check it out. (<----- As noted by the title) However, if they would have called said reputable company first, if a problem was to arise such as this, I would be happy to fix it because I know that the system has been thoroughly checked previously. I thank you for taking the time to respond, but I will just have to once again, respectfully, agree to disagree with you. []

Gonna charge $1200+ to fix that? Geez, new board, dft. t-stat, contactor, comb. cap and your making cool. Move, son.
    KX500......the original big green meanie

Agree that this unit can be repaired for way less then $1200.
    A couple of hours at the most. If the compressor is ok. You didn't say if the compressor ohm'd out.
    Why didn't the person call the other guy back so he could have a say.

Nothing wrong with the price IMO, I don't price stuff over the phone or off a couple of internet pics.

Uh companies need to move new equipment it is easier and more profit. Lets say he fixed it and low and behold something else goes out in a few weeks the employee will be held responsibly by supervisor and they will ask the question why didn't you offer new equipment? Remember companies hate callbacks, will even terminate for too many. Me I would have offered to repair and then offered the choice of upgrade just like op did.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast