Educated with 4 years Comm Refr Experience in East Tennessee

I have been trying to get in with one of the big grocery chains as an in-house tech/ coordinator of sorts. I am located dead in the middle of Knoxville and Chattanooga pretty close to I-75.

I have my vocational certificate and then some. School was free for me, so I took many classes beyond the scope of what I really needed. Heck, I even took Solar power classes.

I am respected by my contractors as being knowledgable and many of them call me for help when they are stumped. I am very experienced in controls for Parallel Refrigeration racks, including programming.

Now, if only one of those big companies in the are would answer my resume!

Quote Originally Posted by isyeskeert View Post
    I have been trying to get in with one of the big grocery chains as an in-house tech/ coordinator of sorts. I am located dead in the middle of Knoxville and Chattanooga pretty close to I-75.

I have my vocational certificate and then some. School was free for me, so I took many classes beyond the scope of what I really needed. Heck, I even took Solar power classes.

I am respected by my contractors as being knowledgable and many of them call me for help when they are stumped. I am very experienced in controls for Parallel Refrigeration racks, including programming.

Now, if only one of those big companies in the are would answer my resume!
    Employers and costumers are a fickled lot. I have interviewed with several and met with custumers who have asked many questions about procedure and troubleshooting etc, which I answered well. I have given them plenty of refrences that say great things about me, yet what impresses most of them is simply that I did this in the service. Over time I have learned that whenever I show up to meet a custumer or job interview, I need my hair cut short, my black boots well polished, wear my black web belt with a shiny buckle and despite what classes say about using terms only known on ships, say things like "Galley" and "A Gang" liberally in my conversation. I guess that restaurants feel entitled to see me act like a shipboard sailor. Early last week, my boss introduced me to the manager of a new custumer, and told him that I was just short of the patient holder of refrigeration. I can't imagine him saying bad of me to someone I am suppose to fix equipment for. The manager was still, however wondering if I knew what I was doing. This restaurant had some bad refer tech in the past who did all manner of questionable practices and there was over a week of work right up front. Everytime I informed him that a part would need to be ordered, he would ask if my boss agreed etc. One day while working on a walkin condenser unit on their roof, he came up to see what was going on. It might be more accurate to say that he was checking up on me. For some reason I was explaining how the motors use sometimes 6x as much power to start as they do to run. I shared how when I was in the Navy we would mess with junior officers by putting someone at each of the 6 400 ton centrifical AC's after a GQ drill when all the AC's were secured, and ask for just permission to start the AC's. If the officer isn't aware of how much amps these AC's use, they will think how hot they are and say to go ahead and start them. When all 6 of these units are started at once, it draws so much power that the power panel shuts down all the power and the ship goes dark. I said , "I didn't know you were in the Navy.". I told him him that I did serve there for almost 10 years and the USCG for 11. Since then I could as well have a PHD from MIT in refrigeration. Things he had been calling the boss for at night waited till I arrived, and my imput was no longer questioned. I personally feel that since plenty of good solid reefer techs never served a day of active duty, and most did over things in the service, that this isn't a good criteria for determining if someone is good, but many use it.

Knoxsville is, however, a pretty busy city for refrigeration work. There is a company in Merryville that does a lot of the churches that was looking a couple months ago. If you are prepared to work in Chat., have you considered REMCO?