Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Let's play Spot-The-Problem

I was sent to check out a leak coming through a ceiling at a business. When I got there, the condensate line was plugged up. The overflow went into a drain pan...that had been plugged off with caulk and duct seal...duh!!! I fixed those and as I was leaving, I looked at the lineset and noticed it was frosting up. Then it hit me...I didn't hear the furnace fan. I figured a bad cap or motor so I crawled out of the attic(150ft and half of it was CRAWLING) to go get my meter. I crawled all the way back and got ready to meter the low voltage, just to make sure the fan was getting a call. That's when I saw it(look at the two wires on the bottom that go to the condensor)...What the heck????? Soooo, I just had to crawl back out to get my phone to take pics to show everyone. When I asked the ladies downstairs how it heated in the winter, they told me they had to bring in their own portable heaters...wonder why? No, I did not check out the heating side of it...way too hot and too far to crawl back in there again. I'll do it if they want this fall. I feel like I just completed my first novel. Name:  board.jpg
Views: 1440
Size:  48.6 KB

Well, he followed the color code... Red to red... just the WRONG red this time.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Lol, it's a wonder he didn't do white to white also. It's hard to tell how long it has been like this...1 yr...5 yrs...15 yrs???? The condensor is on the roof that is nearly inaccessible(through a window I think), so they never would have known

The way it's wired the unit would run 24/7. I wonder what the utility bills looked like.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

Quote Originally Posted by air1 View Post
    The way it's wired the unit would run 24/7. I wonder what the utility bills looked like.
    Yes and I can't believe it's never melted too much for the drain to handle in the past...ya know, usually if it can go wrong, it will

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

did the evap coil have a freeze stat could have been cycling the condenser. not allowing it to fully freeze up, and create a no cool service call

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyac1 View Post
    did the evap coil have a freeze stat could have been cycling the condenser. not allowing it to fully freeze up, and create a no cool service call
    Saw nothing coming out of the coil housing and nothing tying into the two conductor. So, unless they put it in some crazy place on the coil and ran a separate wire to the roof that I didn't see, I don't think so. Of course, you know the way some people do things...

R to C for real cold

Quote Originally Posted by hvac69 View Post
    R to C for real cold
    Love it!

We had a guy who thought c meant compressor...

Quote Originally Posted by hvac69 View Post
    R to C for real cold
    This is going to make me rethink the whole letter/color thing. On that note, the guy that used to work with me every day one time hooked up the white from the stat to the Y on the AH. I made excuses for him that it was the sounds of the first letter in "WHITE" and the the first sound you say when saying the letter Y (wuh sound). We had hooked up a construction AH for some carpenters before there was even electricity in the building or it would have been fixed then and there. Oh well, it gave us 3 hrs of paid windshield time. I felt bad for him and didn't tell anyone why it wouldn't heat when they turned up the stat. Thing is, he has done it several more times since.

Union?

Quote Originally Posted by Texanna Slim View Post
    Union?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    Love it!

We had a guy who thought c meant compressor...
    Worked with a guy some years back that couldn't figure out that the flashing "AC" on an old battery backup thermostat meant no AC power, he thought it meant no air conditioning. Should have seen him trying to figure that one out since the control transformer was on same fuse as condenser fan circuit in a Lennox RTU (one fan motor took a dump). Almost had a dead tech--he wanted to jump 460 vac to 24 vac control circuit to power up tstat. I told him to go sit in the truck and rethink his career.
    Psalm 51:10, 12

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast