+ Reply to Thread

Thread: High suction, OK head new system. TXV R22

Post Likes

High suction, OK head new system. TXV R22

Hi Guys
    I installed a 4 ton R22 unit (12seer), 4 ton coil, TXv, furnace. Unit came charged with nitrogen. Evac'd, charger to what I thought was a right amount of 22 then left. (installed in March) Came back today. 90 o/s temp. 80 inside. Put my gauges on 80 lbs suction 200 lbs head. no super heat, warm suction. 5 ton blower so I slowed it down to 4 ton , no change.
    Dumped Freon to get suction to 65 lbs. now warm suction 8 degree split.
    Added r22 to get head up to 225. Now 85 suction, cold suction line and 14 degree split. Mild super heat. ( looks like I'm going the right way, but 85 suction ?)
    what do you think is going on here ? I afraid to get the suction any higher but I need the split up to 20 to cool this house.
    I looked at the coil , looks like all pass's are sweating but still only got a 14 split.
    Any ideas ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by edwyn View Post
    Hi Guys
    I installed a 4 ton R22 unit (12seer), 4 ton coil, TXv, furnace. Unit came charged with nitrogen. Evac'd, charger to what I thought was a right amount of 22 then left. (installed in March) Came back today. 90 o/s temp. 80 inside. Put my gauges on 80 lbs suction 200 lbs head. no super heat, warm suction. 5 ton blower so I slowed it down to 4 ton , no change.
    Added r22 to get head up to 225. Now 85 suction, cold suction line and 14 degree split. Mild super heat. ( looks like I'm going the right way, but 85 suction ?)
    what do you think is going on here ? I afraid to get the suction any higher but I need the split up to 20 to cool this house.
    I looked at the coil , looks like all pass's are sweating but still only got a 14 split.
    Any ideas ?
    High heat load and humidity 85 is not a problem

Post Likes
    You have to check the humidity level in the home; a high humidity will cause a low indoor split.
    It could have a 14°F split with a very high latent load.

Go outside & check the split off the condenser discharge air, it should be around 110°F., that's a 20°F temp-rise, which seems okay with a high indoor humidity.

The sensible temp-split will increase up toward 20°F as the humidity level is finally pulled down.

Check to see if there is too much air infiltration into the home, as that will impede the lowering of the indoor humidity.

Post Likes

Specific superheat and subcooling numbers as well as indoor wet bulb will help complete the puzzle.

Post Likes
    You will never nail a charge until you learn the value of a wet bulb reading, even when working with TXVs. 80 degrees dry bulb return air and a fourteen degree split does not sound out of line. The more readings you get, the better decisions you can make when charging a system. The phrase "get my suction up" should be stricken from your vocabulary. Learn that temperatures rule the roost.
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    Hi Guys
    I installed a 4 ton R22 unit (12seer), 4 ton coil, TXv, furnace. Unit came charged with nitrogen. Evac'd, charger to what I thought was a right amount of 22 then left. (installed in March) Came back today. 90 o/s temp. 80 inside.Put my gauges on 80 lbs suction 200 lbs head. no super heat, warm suction. 5 ton blower so I slowed it down to 4 ton , no change. That's not "no superheat"
    Dumped Freon to get suction to 65 lbs. now warm suction 8 degree split. ?
    Added r22 to get head up to 225. Now 85 suction, cold suction line and 14 degree split.Mild super heat . What's mild? looks like I'm going the right way, but 85 suction
    Any ideas ?
    Are you sure you're checking superheat? That's not how you charge a system with a txv. Did you find the leak?

Post Likes
    Thank you for your Help Darrell, no the humidity level is in the norm level. I did get heat transfer threw the condenser when I jacked up the head to 225. (hot discharge). I am concerned the head it to high right now but to get any transfer I had to get it up or I would be back at 8 split. This is a 22 unit and only a 12 seer. So 20 is not out of the capacity of this system. I just never had a floodback at such a low head and nice warm air in the return. I cant put my finger on this one. TXV stuck open ???

Post Likes
    Mr. Ridley and the shop hound provide the level of assistance that is much needed. The word of the day is enthalpy. Yes spelled e n t h a l p y.
    Correct data points and a psychometric chart will enlighten even the most hard headed of us!

Post Likes
    Thank you

Post Likes

Thank you for your Help Darrell, no the humidity level is in the norm level. I did get heat transfer threw the condenser when I jacked up the head to 225. (hot discharge). I am concerned the head it to high right now but to get any transfer I had to get it up or I would be back at 8 split. This is a 22 unit and only a 12 seer. So 20 is not out of the capacity of this system. I just never had a floodback at such a low head and nice warm air in the return. I cant put my finger on this one. TXV stuck open ???
    12 Seer? Your condenser (if new) is a minimum of 13 Seer. But if paired with a mismatched air handler, you'll end up with less than 10 seer.

20 degree split is out of the range of the system if you have a high entering evaporator wet bulb. Search this site for keyword: TEET (Target Evap Exit Temp). That will explain why you shouldn't always expect a 18-20 degree temp split.

Are you a tech? This is kinda sounding like a DIY.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    High heat load and humidity 85 is not a problem
    Not really a tremendous inside load. 80, humidity level norm, not wet That's why I am surprised of the high suction. Combined with only a 200 head . where is the transfer going ?.. The coil is saying I don't need liquid so it's sending it back via the by pass tube, right (high suction)? So why when I increased the head the coil (TXV) says "OK" I'll now flood the coil making the split higher ! But still the suction stays up there.

Post Likes
    This thread certainly didn't belong in AOP. Moved here but might be something that belongs in the pro section.

Post Likes
    AC biz 36 yrs. Now retired 15yrs. Out of touch with all the new tricks.

Post Likes
    You're going nowhere by focusing on pressures.
    You have to take a lot more readings.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Post Likes
    Make sure you're not drawing return air from the attic. You could have a disconnected return air duct in the attic and drawing in 95* return air. Did you take your split at the registers or at the unit?
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

Post Likes
    My return air at the unit was 80, discharge at it best at the unit 66. And that ismwith a 225 head and still a 80 lb suction. Thanks for the help

Post Likes
    Thanks for all you help...

“Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

Post Likes
    How do you know the humidity was "normal", did you measure it?

Without actual superheat and subcooling readings, any attempt at diagnostics is just guessing.

Post Likes
    Hi Guys
    Any ideas ?
    How much sub cooling? Indoor temp? How long is unit operating between adjustments? Amp draw on compressor? Did you have 20 delta t when you installed it originally?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in