Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I know its a meeting of the minds..all trying to make one coherent thought when it comes to awarding points. Im not upset about it at all and think Special K is a proper sort.
    The message I got was from Master K awarding me 5 points...thats the fact jack, and this is all that I am saying. No need to feel that you need to defend him (K) or any of the other Masters. I have been here long enough to know how things roll.
    "The road to Hell is paved with progressive policies."

Quote Originally Posted by exreo View Post
    Although I am not an HVAC guy, I hope I might be able to make a point here. I've posted on different college football forums over the past 10 years. I've seen a pattern on every board and that pattern also applies here. And it is always in regards to this subject of racism and particularly any comments that are negative about a black man or the black community in general. American corporations and businesses have an absolute paranoia about this subject. They fear being labled a racist company or insensitive to minorities. So here is the pattern I've seen on all boards over the past 10 years. When a discussion of racism comes up, conservative points of view are always met with at least one charge of racism by a lefty. Sometimes they are even plants who have only made 1 post on the board. The moderators, fearing that some super 5-star black athelete will read the thread on racism (or at least get wind of it) will eventually lock out the poster that the charges of racism was directed against--even though 9 times out of 10 the charges of racism by the lefty are false. Then the lefty poster(s) will stop with their charges of racism and the thread will be deleted from the board. No more racism discussions. There will be no more talk of why black atheltes get into TCU with a 800 on their SAT and most other students are required to have at least an 1100. There will be no more talk about why black crime is 8.3 times higher than white crime as a percentage of respective populations.

Well, the advertisers on this board don't want any talk of racism either. They might get shaken down by Rev. JJ and his followers. The same rules usually always apply, but conservative points of view have not been erased and conservative posters have not been banned. This is unusual. I fully expected to get banned from this board even though I do not want to be banned.

And one last point, do the moderators/owners really need the advertisers on this board? How much does it cost to host this site and provide the bandwith? Is it more or less than $100/month? I don't think the web hosting service is giving you much bandwidth because it take quite a while for me to navigate around on this site. Maybe others experience a lot faster speeds than I do. Maybe my problem is in the LAN where I live at the apartments here. Is the purpose of this site for the owners to make money on advertising? I don't know the answer to that question.

Thanks for letting me exress my opinion. I will completely submit myself to the authority of the moderators on this board. I would only hope I can be given an opportunity to fix any violations. Thank you, thank you very much.
    Can't say much about Football boards... not my cup-o-tea... but I will respond to the $ question.

Penton paid top dollar for this site. Recouping those funds was their first priority. Other expenses are licensing, IT support, host outsourcing and in house server support. There are Penton employees that are called "Penton Team" who are editors and marketing people not to mention regional sales people. These guys all have salaries to be paid. Sponsorships do not pay for all of this, Penton itself makes up the difference when necessary.

I wouldn't worry so much about what the sponsors like and dislike so much. Controversial issues have been discussed on this site without these type of issues. Partly due to the work of the ARP Committee and the cooperation of the ARP posters we can discuss hot topics. You will also find these hot topics still on the board. The infighting between members and name calling will not be tolerated. If we are to chat then let it be civil or let it be deleted.

I can not think of any topic that is off limits here. It is more a case of how it is discussed.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    'Special K' did not give you 5 points. There is an entire ARPC committee that votes on whether you are awarded points or not, and it is painfully gut-wrenching for all on the committee. K-fridge is a great leader and a very rare level-head on this forum.

Special warnings are also kind advices. I have been awarded points myself, it is nothing personal, and I have had a few of my posts reported. It's just a system in place to keep the forum clean. It seems to be working well. ARP, with our wild discussion topics, we all are behaving more or less civilized. A smashing success in my opinion.
    Question Tool...

When someone is awarded points for behavior (or the lack of behavior ), is there an EMail sent to inform them? Is there a place in one's user settings where one can see their 'points'? Just curious. THX!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Galatians 2:20-21; Colossians 1: 21-22 & 26-27; 3:1-4; Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Question Tool...

When someone is awarded points for behavior (or the lack of behavior ), is there an EMail sent to inform them? Is there a place in one's user settings where one can see their 'points'? Just curious. THX!
    Yes to both questions. You get a email or PM explaining the infraction points. You can visit your personal profile page and see your infraction point with date of expiration. You can see your own, I am almost certain nobody else can other than moderators.

I will add that it makes for a long year waiting for those infraction points to expire.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"Ain't nobody got time for that". Corny

Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    Yes to both questions. You get a email or PM explaining the infraction points. You can visit your personal profile page and see your infraction point with date of expiration. You can see your own, I am almost certain nobody else can other than moderators.

I will add that it makes for a long year waiting for those infraction points to expire.
    Hopefully, that L O N G year is one of thinking (maybe even previewing) before hitting the submit button...

There is NO DOUBT in my mind, GA has been the subject of discussion many a time... somehow it appears I was not worthy... yet...
    I find using the preview feature keeps me out of a lot of trouble...

I suspect I already know the answer to this... Does anyone challenging their points ever get a reprieve (as in the points being removed)?
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Galatians 2:20-21; Colossians 1: 21-22 & 26-27; 3:1-4; Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Hopefully, that L O N G year is one of thinking (maybe even previewing) before hitting the submit button...

There is NO DOUBT in my mind, GA has been the subject of discussion many a time... somehow it appears I was not worthy... yet...
    I find using the preview feature keeps me out of a lot of trouble...

I suspect I already know the answer to this... Does anyone challenging their points ever get a reprieve (as in the points being removed)?
    Not that I am aware of in my entire experience, I doubt there is any use to challenge the points awarded. By the time points are awarded, the discussion has already been had in committee. Sometimes there is quite a lengthy debate. None of us in ARPC want to award points, it just a working system in place to keep the site clean. I know that I have personally re-read entire threads twice or more, maybe looked at 50 or 100 previous posts before voting yay or nay on a points vote. It's not an easy thing to do, so we debate it and consider all of the factors involved. That also goes a long way to explain why we are often so slow about it, of course we also have day jobs.

I hope that answer clarifies any mystery surrounding the ARPC.

The pen is mightier than the sword. Why do you think that Mr. Geer is so unpopular?

The only way to defeat such is "in kind" if you will. If you allow emotion to take you, then you've just lost the battle right there.

That said, it happens. Right, Glenn? Everyone has a bad day or two. I had a 5 point infraction myself because I let frustration get the best of me.

We are all human beings here so that's going to happen. It's a given.

What we want to do is act with grace under pressure as much as possible.

To Glenn's credit, it does not seem that our little altercation, what is it... years ago now? ...got in the way of future discussion.

Acknowledge your weakness as a human being. But don't get consumed by it or you are not ARP material.
    Last edited by scrogdog; 07-02-2013 at 01:17 AM. Reason: typo
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

Quote Originally Posted by scrogdog View Post
    The pen is mightier than the sword. Why do you think that Mr. Geer is so unpopular?

The only way to defeat such is "in kind" if you will. If you allow emotion to take you, then you've just lost the battle right there.

That said, it happens. Right, Glenn? Everyone has a bad day or two. I had a 5 point infraction myself because I let frustration get the best of me.

We are all human beings here so that's going to happen. It's a given.

What we want to do is act with grace under pressure as much as possible.

To Glenn's credit, it does not seem that our little altercation, what is it... years ago now? ...got in the way of future discussion.

Acknowledge your weakness as a human being. But don't get consumed by it or you are not ARP material.
    Well said Scrogg. All of us may be subject to getting out of line from time to time. There is a system in place to make sure it doesn't get too crazy. Hence this thread I suppose. At the end of the day, we are all friends here.

posted something earlier...then read rest of the thread... too serious here so I deleted my previous post
    Last edited by mofotech; 09-11-2013 at 12:16 AM.
    wHen I diE I hOpe gOd haS mErcy oN my SiNful LifE

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123