Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Fans Running Slow

Hello to all I have a 30 ton RTU Lennox unit thats about 9 years old. Its been a good unit till now. I got a call for a lack of cooling from the unit,what I found was that it was tripped out on High Pressure, the whole unit!!. After I reset it.
    I found 1 fan locked up 1 not running and the other 4 running about half the speed they normally due (these are single speed fans) they are 480VAC single phase 1/3 hp motors. I could not dive into it because of a heavy rainstrom thats still dumping and its been 4 hrs and its not letting up. I would appreciated any words of wisdom on the matter(this is something that I have never seen before). Thanks Addison Ft Worth Texas

Hmmmmnnn ....

fix the C.F. Motors ...????

Fuses

Check you fan fuses, one is blown. Causing 480 volt fans to run slow

No such thing as 480 volt single phase.... 480 to neutral is 277 VAC which is single phase................ slow turning motors?........ start at the capacitor... a PSC with a bad...er open cap will run only on the run winding..... a motor running in a single winding is called a split phase.... which my guess is not what you have for fan motors............

Check your connections & capacitors ( are you using two seperate caps. or one?) Is the motor which is turning slowly does the speed ever pick up? If it does p/u sounds like motor bearings. Can you touch touch the motor?... is it hot?. Amp draw, what's it rated for Vs. actual amps? Hope this can help.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis.

480 volt, 2 wire(phases), a+b or a+c or b+c = 480. 1 phase angle.
    but it sounds like a blown leg(fuse), and backfeed through a load, what's the voltage at the slow fans- that will tell you. Also are all 4 fans drawing off the same 2 legs or are they balanced between the 3? check fuses first.

Quote Originally Posted by coronado2412 View Post
    No such thing as 480 volt single phase.... 480 to neutral is 277 VAC which is single phase................ slow turning motors?........ start at the capacitor... a PSC with a bad...er open cap will run only on the run winding..... a motor running in a single winding is called a split phase.... which my guess is not what you have for fan motors............
    What do you mean no 460 single phase??????

Addison Junk

You will read 240V on each leg to make single phase 460. Check and see if it has either a small vfd or the motor runs on a pressure switch to controll speed.I have a addison which I maintain and it has the same set up.
    Last edited by Coremech; 03-26-2007 at 11:48 PM.

277 between hot leg and ground.

460 between two hot legs

460 on two legs 240 to ground. On my paticular unit it has a johnson controll vfd which controls the motor speed. I also had a old trane condensor with the same set up as well except for the drive.

480 on 2 legs, 277 on either leg to ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Coremech View Post
    You will read 240V on each leg to make single phase 460.

WRONG you wil read 277 on each leg to ground, 2 legs of 277 equals 460 volts, its usually actual 480 volts!

and i never seen a hot leg with a 460 volt circuit!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast