When I find you, I will punch you in the back of the head - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Whaley View Post
    I know I am going to make mistakes, quite a few of course. Do not want to add manslaughter to those.
    The 480 volts does not care about legalities or whatever else is used to argue that the mechanic that used pipe as fuses and the other bs does not deserve to take a beating over this. The first post in this thread is correct , dude needs to be punched in the back of his head.

We have all seen the " Superheros " , guys that are so much faster than everyone else. When you talk to them they have seen it all and done it all , any amazing story you tell they always seem to " one up " your tale. Then they get hurt or something and fade away , they come and go fast. Dude was " fast tracking " his career with no concern for anyone else. 277/480 is no joke and needs to be treated with the respect of life and death , and violations to this fact punishable by an old fashioned beating.

You have the tools and knowledge for this to never be a near death experience.

It could just as easily be a bad disconnect or breaker etc...etc...

Verify each leg is dead...every time...new equipment, old equipment, new customer site, old customer site, it doesn't matter.

Verify. Every. Time.

To only check 2 of the 3 legs is careless. It only takes .5 seconds to check each leg.

Glad you are ok, and hope you are extremely pissed off....

at yourself!

I still say that dude needs a beating , but if we were in california perhaps a lecture at a café over lemon spring water.

Dude needs an east coast style stomping , or a " central "may be the case , lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian8383 View Post
    One thing I started doing a few years ago is check the unit with a meter, but I will then also hit the legs to ground with a screw driver. What if your meter is not working at the same time you follow a dope like the one that nearly killed the OP. I know I run the chance of getting hurt by arc flash, but I do stand to the side with my back turned. Think what could happen if I stuck my fingers in there instead.

This is why I check with the meter and the little light probe thing, then I push the contactor in manually if it dictates. I also look for a second incoming line I might have missed.

This is just sobering. I'm going out to my truck and place my NCVD pen in a more prominent place and review how to use it. Think I'll try carrying it in my shirt pocket. I'm still new enough to get myself in some real trouble on an old commercial unit with failing or defeated disconnects.

I agree. When i said manslaughter I meant being liable myself as a technician making a half ass nobody's looking fix it up quick. Punch in the head and reporting is fantastic. I would say somebody do the same to me.

Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    This is just sobering. I'm going out to my truck and place my NCVD pen in a more prominent place and review how to use it. Think I'll try carrying it in my shirt pocket. I'm still new enough to get myself in some real trouble on an old commercial unit with failing or defeated disconnects.
    Sometimes we need those reminders. Always keep that NCV detector in your shirt pocket, that way you'll use it. Mine gets wild if you move it too fast, so be sure to go slow. Also remember on a lot of units your control power could be fed from somewhere else, so check everything.

Yep, my pants have a carpenters pocket and I carry my NCV pen in there

Quote Originally Posted by mason View Post
    Yep, my pants have a carpenters pocket and I carry my NCV pen in there
    Those are okay, I think, if you have the Fluke. I have tried the other brands and they light up within 3 feet of any wire that is hot. The Fluke has worked best for me.

I still use a meter most of the time, though. I have some trust issues with the NCV pens.

I agree on the guy getting a punch in the head, though. Not only could he have killed someone, he could have caused some equipment damage, or even a fire by using copper like that. It's just laziness not going to get the fuse. Even if you have to go to the supply house to get fuses.

A punch in the head and an explanation of why you deserved it is far less painful than hearing on the news about somebody found dead on a roof due to your laziness. I believe the guy needs to know that his shoddy work left a potentially deadly situation, and if I was the one that got shocked I don't think I could start that conversation too civilly.

This thread is a great reminder for all of us. I know that since I first read it I've been more vigilant with my meter and have passed on the reminder to other techs, especially apprentices.

Sounds like you need some time off. Using copper pipe as fusing is beyond stupid and is unbelievably lazy but attempted murder? When is the last time, if ever, that you've heard of this idiotic practice actually causing any serious problems not including fried hvac equipment. It's pure urban myth.

Look closer at the pic. L1 and T1 are twisted together, bypassing the disconnect. That's what is so dangerous.

I understand being pissed about this.....but still.....if you don't check for voltage before touching equipment, it's really your own fault if you get the **** shocked out of you....or worse.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast