Slctech, please forgive me for not realizing you are the OP after my last assessment of the "threat." My bad
I love the struggle.
(thread-jack deleted, will start my own thread in AOP)
Originally Posted by quiet mike
It's not enough to say you are responsible if you get electrocuted because of someone else's foolish or incompetent work ethics.
I have been hit with 480v a few times and near killed, and whether the electrical was done correctly or not, in two of my cases, I would not have been placed in danger had the electrical been done correctly. The difference was that the electrical components did not function as designed and expected because someone decided to take the functions out of the circuit and not label the controls with a warning.
Should I "have" to check and make sure a disconnect has not been bypassed, a breaker not bypassed, a wire left hanging loose against a modified ground that has been disconnect, a bare wire left hanging- we can make a large list here.
In order to survive all these years it is my habit now to always check voltages with even more than one source, but that does not excuse or take away the responsibility of the person who set up a condition that is lethal. What about a new tech in the field? Should he be exposed to possible death just to learn better? Should the overheated tech so exhausted from working be put in jeopardy because he might make a mistake and not check what idiot had previously worked on the system?
There is NO excuse I can think of to willingly and purposely create a condition that can cause harm to another because that other didn't check to make sure controls are functioning as they should.
What that other tech did was illegal, dangerous and a booby trap in my opinion he should be held to the fire for this and if I were injured, pay recompense, even jail time.
If you think that is too harsh- then try and explain to the dead techs wife and kids it was just one of those things.
Turning off the main breaker on a residential home would have you thinking the power is off, think again. Someone was very cheap. Found only after pulling meter the 2 power legs for the outdoor a/c unit were connected to the power company power leads before the meter...
These disconnects you guys are showing are hopefully out of the reach of children. I have found these open to electrical type disconnects on residential homes at just the right height for kids to explore. It seems we have to worry most about the boys as they are the explorers and the curious ones. If there is no dead plate inside I will use as a minimum a large zip tie through the lock hole to ensure someone without tools can't open this box. On new installs we are always replacing the disconnect using a pullout type with plastic dead plate.
This is a good topic for our next safety meeting and I applaud the OP for sharing his story and refreshing all of us on the need to check and double check so we are safe around electricity. The few seconds it takes in doing this will not be your last if we just do it.
Be careful of the the long nails in attic roofs too. Had a guy fly back for some reason in attic and nailed his head. They found him that way. Not the way I want to go.
Originally Posted by slctech
Did somebody wire nut L1 & T1 together? Unfortunately some folks don't check for power after killing the disconnect. I think I would have that disconnect replaced before someone does get killed.
Good GOD! Not in the field yet, but this is common sense.
Come back in a few years of being in the real world and tell me if you can stay 100% focused after your 10th day straight of 100 degree days when you're exhausted and physically beaten, and don't do anything stupid. It's easy to play Monday morning quarterback in a situation like this. The true lesson is we have all been "lucky" before. The key being having a routine where you do the same thing every time so you don't have a slip like this and end up in the paper.
Originally Posted by Todd Whaley
It's a lot easier to get shocked than people realize, especially if you are working on unfamiliar equipment or running hard in intense heat on everything from 120v single to 460v 3 phase. Heck just today I was helping a guy change a pump and impeller on a chiller and he was going to show me something in the disconnect on the starter and forgot that one was off and the other on, he stuck his finger in to point out a wire and didn't get shocked but then stepped back and went "crap, I just stuck my hand right in there and I thought it was the one that was off, glad I didn't actually touch anything".
Originally Posted by ryan1088
It certainly doesn't help when on top of all that you get the bypassed disconnects, the improperly ran wires that rub through the insulation, the rigged up safeties, and more.
I get shocked a few times a year, sometimes it's just trying to get your leads back into some ridiculous spot and your hand brushes up against something, I know I know, wear the gloves but sometimes you don't have them for whatever reason.
One thing I started doing a few years ago is check the unit with a meter, but I will then also hit the legs to ground with a screw driver. What if your meter is not working at the same time you follow a dope like the one that nearly killed the OP. I know I run the chance of getting hurt by arc flash, but I do stand to the side with my back turned. Think what could happen if I stuck my fingers in there instead.
Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.
-Possibly said by Thomas Jefferson(but true even if he didn't)
What one generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace.
― Definitely said by John Wesley
Telling every kid they are special=Hipsters
Glad you didn't get hurt. If you do run into him don't punch him out, he would probably call the cops and have you arrested, find out where he lives and cut the neutral to his house or something.
I didn't write the book I just read it!
I have also got in the habit of first touching with the back of my hand, after I have checked voltage. Been doing it so long it has just become second nature. I try to teach every helper to do it that way as well.
Certified,qualified and can do it cause were used to it.
I know I am going to make mistakes, quite a few of course. Do not want to add manslaughter to those.