Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    The thicker higher elec resistance of hard working hands probably saved your life. No kidding. More resistance means less current to ground.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Couldn't help but think of this thread this morning. These disconnects weren't even broken... so whiskey tango foxtrot?

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372359224.435663.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  58.7 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372359254.002427.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  48.8 KB

If I find him first

the same guy must have been out this way. From the looks of it he removed both contactors out of this unit to fix another. He left the line side from the disconnect touching the chasis, he also left the fuses in the disconnect, and to top it off he buttoned the unit up. something told me take the cover off first. Really who does that ? Hope find him first !!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    IMO, bypassing one leg of a disconnect, and leaving it that way for longer than it takes to return with a new disconnect, is attempted murder, and should be prosecuted as such by the state.
    Attempted murder? Really? Get the damned state involved? Ridiculous. Especially considering the signature. I do appreciate your advice in the a/cl field but "attempted murder?" That sig and your comment don't jive, not one bit.
    I love the struggle.

Who doesn't fix other people's mistakes? Sure it might suck from time to time but what the hell, what do you guys get paid for? You have tools and mental skills. If you get electrocuted, especially in a situation like this, it's your own fault.
    I love the struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by quiet mike View Post
    Who doesn't fix other people's mistakes? Sure it might suck from time to time but what the hell, what do you guys get paid for? You have tools and mental skills. If you get electrocuted, especially in a situation like this, it's your own fault.
    Are you the guy he`s looking for?
    I love overtime I just hate working for it.

Lol, nope. But after the last ten years dedicating my time between Filipino MA's, firearms, BJJ ect, I'd welcome the wrong guy to sucker punch me. He'll be lucky if he isn't dead in his tracks shortly after his mistake. His second mistake. I'm not a keyboard warrior by the way. I just think it's ridiculous to want to assault someone for making a stupid error that wouldn't have happened at all had the OP, checked everything accordingly. He admitted he failed to check all the three legs to ground. Who's never been told "always, always check each leg?" I've been popped before pretty badly in a similar instance but my first instinct wasn't "beat the guy who did it" but "damn it, why didn't I check both legs?"

Equally ridiculous is the idea of "attempted murder." Where is the ability to prove intent and not just ignorance on behalf of the original goof that at minimum didn't note that it was bypassed.

To add to this: OP, I'm glad your ok and you obviously know what happened and I hope that I'm as fortunate as you were the next time it happens to me.
    I love the struggle.

Quiet Mike...

All in good fun. You know looking back at it all, was I upset and wanted to whack this guy? Yeah. Was i more upset with myself....YEP! If he was standing right there when it happened, I would have to go Filipino on his arse. But a few days and a chance to have a beer and lick my wounds, I would politely talk with the guy...one professional tech to another.

Now if I was to die because of this, would it have been my fault? Yep! But in respect to the law and codes, would the company and possibly tech that lied on their work order also be at fault...sure. Would my wife get a settlement..I would believe so. But never tell your wife that, at least my wife!
    She has since cooled down and took her out for our first date night in years and saw StarTrek..good flick.

Wall of Shame in my opinion is a place for us to vent for a moment, share some photos of the bizarre and incredibly stupid as to remind our brothers in arms out there to be honest, be professional, and to please learn from mine or others mistakes.

Be safe out there all of you, and check all three legs..phase to phase and leg to ground.

Quote Originally Posted by quiet mike View Post
    Who doesn't fix other people's mistakes?
    How do you bypass a disconnect by mistake?
    2 different safety devices (fuses and disconnect) were deliberately disabled, probably by somebody who has no license to do electrical work for pay.

Sure it might suck from time to time but what the hell, what do you guys get paid for? You have tools and mental skills. If you get electrocuted, especially in a situation like this, it's your own fault.
    Yes, OP could have metered all three legs after throwing the disconnect.
    OTOH, have you ever assumed a disconnect actually disconnected the power without double checking with a meter?
    I know I have, but since I'm not in the trade, it's the disconnects in my own house that I know aren't bypassed.

Attempted murder, probably not. But negligent homicide still carries a life sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by slctech View Post
    Quiet Mike...

All in good fun. You know looking back at it all, was I upset and wanted to whack this guy? Yeah. Was i more upset with myself....YEP! If he was standing right there when it happened, I would have to go Filipino on his arse. But a few days and a chance to have a beer and lick my wounds, I would politely talk with the guy...one professional tech to another.

Now if I was to die because of this, would it have been my fault? Yep! But in respect to the law and codes, would the company and possibly tech that lied on their work order also be at fault...sure. Would my wife get a settlement..I would believe so. But never tell your wife that, at least my wife!
    She has since cooled down and took her out for our first date night in years and saw StarTrek..good flick.

Wall of Shame in my opinion is a place for us to vent for a moment, share some photos of the bizarre and incredibly stupid as to remind our brothers in arms out there to be honest, be professional, and to please learn from mine or others mistakes.

Be safe out there all of you, and check all three legs..phase to phase and leg to ground.
    I understand and thanks for putting that out there. Like many of us, I've been through much the same stuff you probably have. I can certainly understand venting as well but the OP sounded a little more than sincere and thus, my reply. I don't aim to be combative with anyone and while I try to pick my battles wisely (not considering this a battle lol), I feel duty bound to oppose unjustified violence, in which case this seemed to be the case.
    I love the struggle.

I was at the counter at Aireco the other day and I couldn't help but to look over my shoulder thinking of this thread title , lol.

Quote Originally Posted by taxman View Post
    How do you bypass a disconnect by mistake?
    2 different safety devices (fuses and disconnect) were deliberately disabled, probably by somebody who has no license to do electrical work for pay.
    I don't doubt that was probably exactly the case, but which definition of mistake do you use?
    From any random google search of the definition yields something similar.
    Noun
    An action or judgment that is misguided or wrong: "coming here was a mistake".

Yes, OP could have metered all three legs after throwing the disconnect.
    OTOH, have you ever assumed a disconnect actually disconnected the power without double checking with a meter?
    I know I have, but since I'm not in the trade, it's the disconnects in my own house that I know aren't bypassed.[/QUOTE]

Though your not in the trade and I never addressed you, I'll still answer your question. I work on mostly residential units which you are aware are not 220v. When I come to a unit and its not running, the meter usually comes out. When I do service commercial systems, which is probably every third day for the last 10 years, I use my meter before getting into anything with voltage in it. About two years ago, a helper and I were called to service an old dinosaur. I told my helper to go turn the breaker off to the condenser so I could replace a bad contactor. He did cut the one labled off but didn't know to cut the other breaker that was using one of its legs to get 220 out there. Meters was in the truck and when he brought the contactor and not the meter, I figure why not. I was on it for an eternity before gravity pulled me away from it. I know exactly who's fault it was.
    I love the struggle.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast