Ammonia Ref Tech career

The company I work for splits into 3, ammonia, AC and refrigeration, all commercial and industrial. I've always been intrigued with Ammonia systems and want to learn more and work on it. I'm comfortable with AC and refrigeration. I want to expand but hear that ammonia is taxing and not always worth it. The bigger the system the more I want to work on it. I can eventually make the switch slowly but I would like to know maybe someone that has bee. Doing it for a while which preference they had? Com/industrial AC or ammonia. I can't find anywhere in my area that has training for it either. I'm in so cal if anyone does know of a program and could give me more info.

use the company for your training, OJT beats school anytime, if you have a real interest in it. Ammonia can be taxing, sometimes but you have to be patient with it and always follow safe practices. When you see compressors that are 70 years old and run 24/7 its pretty neat. Waterside issues are most common, pumps etc. If well designed you can troubleshoot in minutes.

I have buddies doing amonia, but their company goes through techs because of the stress. If you think a store with a system going down is bad try having Kraft foods production come to a hault and millions upon millions of dollars worth of product that could spoil.
    It's all relative but it is a critical piece of equipment.
    We don't do amonia service but we have a good working relationship with a local outfit and we share welders when we have big projects and our guys enjoy installing the systems.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteside2831 View Post
    The company I work for splits into 3, ammonia, AC and refrigeration, all commercial and industrial. I've always been intrigued with Ammonia systems and want to learn more and work on it. I'm comfortable with AC and refrigeration. I want to expand but hear that ammonia is taxing and not always worth it. The bigger the system the more I want to work on it. I can eventually make the switch slowly but I would like to know maybe someone that has bee. Doing it for a while which preference they had? Com/industrial AC or ammonia. I can't find anywhere in my area that has training for it either. I'm in so cal if anyone does know of a program and could give me more info.
    Check out this guy's youtube channel...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq1ZjvuzqvE

Great find with the videos I appreciate it!!! He's a cool guy for posting that stuff.