Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Starting up outdoor walkins

Just wondering if anyone has a rule of thumb, when starting up an outdoor walkin box with an air cooled condenser what your head pressure should be corresponding to the outdoor air temp?

The rule of thumb is.....

....charge it until you clear the sightglass, look at your discharge pressure and that's what it's supposed to be.

There's actually a bit more to it than that like whether or not you have a Headmaster and such, but that's it in a nutshell.

If all else fails, read the installation instructions.

Not to be a pain but, hypothetacally speaking, what if there were no sight glass or installation instructions? No head master controll either...???

What is your outdoor ambient? Must have some type of fan cycle control.

What refrigerant?

I would definitly charge it in the morning and the condensing station should have a data plate that states the correct charge being that it is a new unit. When the sun is high and the temp is boiling -- getting a correct reading is a bastard--
    If your not getting the results you desire then change. People change from either desperation or inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by assp8 View Post
    Not to be a pain but, hypothetacally speaking, what if there were no sight glass or installation instructions? No head master controll either...???
    It would depend on the type of refrigerant, outside temperature, load conditions, and the size of the condenser in relation to compressor capacity.

That's about all I can tell you without specifics.

Oh and...unless you live in a very warm climate you need some type of head pressure control.

Quote Originally Posted by luskys a/c View Post
    I would definitly charge it in the morning and the condensing station should have a data plate that states the correct charge being that it is a new unit. When the sun is high and the temp is boiling -- getting a correct reading is a bastard--
    Most condensing units Ref. wise do not have a weight stamp on it

need help with heat controller 90% ( roll out fault)

i did a call for a friend, also self employed, but only installs. he put in a heat controllerglua or gldh 120.000 btu. flashing rollout, reset, unit put in 1-month ago, place is gutted, unit in attic. guy owns place says it never worked right. they called me back tonite same thing. i read install instructions, furnace mounted horizontal to right discharge, but on instructions it says important, do no not install horizontal right only left side supply. drain from secondary exchanger was left as if installed upright, drain from secondary is on very top left side. secondary drain is not at bottom of burner area, where the install instructions say when horizontial install only can be install with left side supply. the roll out thats popping is bottom one in horizontial position, inducer motor is below secodary x-changer, could this be the cause of rollout, bottom 2 burners in secondary have water creating cloogged xchanger causing rollout. al,ost all my work over last 21 years has been heat pumps, and 80% furnaces. thanks hope you can understand post, in a rush

Hypothetically???.........

Quote Originally Posted by assp8 View Post
    If it were my job to start up this system, first I'd place a curse on the SOB that neglected to install a sightglass and a head pressure control.

Then I'd download the instructions and install them myself and do the startup.

Now back to reality............

Yeah, I wondered -- it makes sense due to different run lenths- I think they should have a scale plate.
    If your not getting the results you desire then change. People change from either desperation or inspiration.

they are too cheap to provide the ref. instead you get dry nitrogen

I have never installed a outdoor walk in. Does the mfg. send you some type of guide to what charge would be adequate to how much copper you have down?I mean - if the remote unit was further away from the box than the norm.?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast