Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Trane=A.S.
    Heil=Comfortmaker=Tempstar=ArcoAir (made by ICP which is owned by Carrier) ICP=intercity products or International Comfort Products
    Carrier also owns the rights to Clare
    Lennox (now owns Ducane)
    Carrier=Payne=DayandNight=Bryant
    Rheem=Ruud
    Amana=Goodman (within the past couple of years)
    Older Goodman used the Janitrol name
    Nordyne=Miller=Frigidaire=Solitaire=Tappen
    York=Luxaire=Coleman=Fraser Johnston
    There really are only a handful of parent companies for furnaces these days, but a ton of name brands. People tend to buy brands they know and trust. It really has nothing to do with the company that actually manufactures it. Installation is the most important.

Thumbs up

Guys I was not trying to start a fight I tell my customers what is in black and white no more no less . keeps me from favoritism. I work on all makes. How many TXV'S from Trane 4&5 tons have you guys seen go bad in last year or so? I have seen allot Trane rep told me order the evp coil with the TXV because factory was out of just TXVs. That was in July last year. They all have problems. but Less with Trane, Rheem & York. It comes down to what the customers can buy. I alway say if it's a rental buy Goodman. I love this web place you guys are good I have learned some things Good job all

Quote Originally Posted by indytech View Post
    Trane is #1 less break down. Goodman #1 most break down What do you think?
    Prove it to me.

Trane is the best.

I sellTrane & A-S ,truth be told I've had more problems with them than Goodman. Nothing to do with instalation but small things like bad contactors ,relays and outside vendor type stuff. So there it is. No better or worse . Lots of stuff made south of the border these days.

Trane is the best at saying they are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by nashent1 View Post
    Trane is the best at saying they are the best.
    AMEN!!!
    I will believe that the government is broke when the welfare checks start bouncing!!

When i was in refrigeration school during my apprentiship we had a standing joke about Trane.

"How do you stop a Trane? Install it."

Sorry had to put my 2 cents in. My most hated to work on has to be Lennox, I am certain the engineer that designs them caught a Service Tech sleeping with his wife cause they are a real ***** to get at anything. Who mounts a flame rod sensor with the screws behind the burners? lol

I just got to say, I love the site, love the comments, I see this crap every day, and its good to see others who have seen it done it so that im not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    Lots of stuff made south of the border these days.
    Now the south has something to do with it?? if you check the components now days is made overseas not south I wish they would keep making it down south it was beter then!! I had to say something...I'm from the south!
    What's another word for Thesaurus?
    - Steven Wright

Never had a problem with Goodman's. Have had a couple of problems with American Standards. Each problem with the AS models were different each time so it was bad selection by the warehouse personnel who picked it off the shelf for me.

Same amount of problems with all brands, only major difference is btu ratings and sound levels.

Quote Originally Posted by indytech View Post
    Guys I was not trying to start a fight I tell my customers what is in black and white no more no less . keeps me from favoritism. I work on all makes. How many TXV'S from Trane 4&5 tons have you guys seen go bad in last year or so? I have seen allot Trane rep told me order the evp coil with the TXV because factory was out of just TXVs. That was in July last year. They all have problems. but Less with Trane, Rheem & York. It comes down to what the customers can buy. I alway say if it's a rental buy Goodman. I love this web place you guys are good I have learned some things Good job all
    One main reason they are failing is improper installation. The RNC installers are used to installing AHU's with pistons in them. Now with the 13 SEER limit going on they are seeing more of them with TXV's and not taking the extra precautions involved with the valves ( removing the bulb before brazing, liberal use of wet rags on valve, reinstalling the bulb after brazing, etc... ) I would be safe to guess that it is more so with the 4 and 5 tons due to the fact that the suction line sizes are larger on those that the smaller tonnage units. I wonder why trane is out of stock on them? Maybe due to too many warranty valve changeouts.

Almost every manf. uses the same parts in their system as the other guy. It mainly comes down to install quality. You can buy a goodman, have a shoddy installer slap it in and be wondering why it doesn't work very good or why it died after 4 years or you can buy a Trane or lennox and have a shoddy installer slap it in and be wondering why it doesn't work very good or why it died after 4 years. In the end it was the install quality. From duct design or install to the equipment install. It doesn't matter. Hopefully when the new contractor visits you to change out the equipment he is smart enough to find the problems of the system, otherwise it will be a re-run.
    If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

The HVAC-Talk Educational Forums is the best place on the net for your HVAC/R info!!!

VETO PRO PAC - The Official Tool Bag of HVAC-Talk.com

Confused Service Tech?

Quote Originally Posted by messiah View Post
    Never had a problem with Goodman's. Have had a couple of problems with American Standards. Each problem with the AS models were different each time so it was bad selection by the warehouse personnel who picked it off the shelf for me.
    If ya iz an installer, not many problems ya can see from yer house! If ya iz a Service Tech, more service calls needed, as repair history will tend to prove reliability, durability, efficiency, all found with years of service calls on all major brands. Changed approx. 5% orange comps. vs 95% other. Don't hear much about leak repairs in outdoor SpineFin coils Don't bash the other guys, as they keep me working year round, darn TRANES just keep on running after the install, only allowing me to come by 1-2 times per year for the maint. In 17 yrs I have experienced the fact that "It's Hard To Stop A TRANE"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast