Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Refrigeration Q: for rookie

Hey guys.........I've been working on A/C's for a couple years now but have never touched a fridge or cooler, etc. I hear that refrigeration is a lot harder to learn and more complex.............Can anyone tell me what the main differences are between refrigeration and air conditioning?

controls..........

and a very sensative product. people don't go bad, food does.

I also have just started doing some refridgeration after a few years of A/C
    #1 Rule its never the charge.
    but when it is,
    I have found is that the charge is not as forgiving
    There is no short cutting it you better have a long, deep vacum and a accurate scale or you wont be doing refridgeration for long.
    I remember my first day,It was fun!

I'll put it how someone put it to me some time ago...

"It either is or it isn't" That's refrigeration in a nutshell. If a box's temp needs to be 33-40, 32 isn't going to work, and neither will 41

1) Charges are critical. Sometimes a half ounce can make a lot of difference.

2) Delfield sucks. If you see something with a Delfield logo on it, condemn it and write it up for replacement.

3) Controls are usually the same voltage as the equipment they are controlling.

4) A proper evacuation is everything. On small systems I usually 3x evacuate to 500m. Overkill? maybe, but I've never had problems with ice in expansion valves, noncondensibles, etc etc

5) Learn how a potential relay works.

6) Get 1-800 numbers for manufacturer support, and know who/where your local parts distributors are and whose parts they stock. Always try to go with an OEM, but if you can't, call the manufacturer and see if they can recommend or endorse any particular non-OEM parts.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

Basic refrigeration cycle the same. More controls and more components in the refrigeration circuit than A/C. I worked on more refrigeration when I first started and personally I think its harder but I like a challenge and A/C really isnt. Study, Study, Study............ Talk to some of the older guys and they can really give you some tips. Having proper instrumentation is a must for sure

carry a P.T. chart and look at it , and apply it , and take nothing for granted.

I have been doing both for 4 years now and you can never stop learning. Hell, Look at my post I just put up. I have seen alot of equipment in those four years but I still consider myself a novice. I love reading what these older guys put down. I also not ashamed to say that I go back to my school hvac book for refreshers. refrigeration is alot more percision and accuracy but a/c is not a cake walk either.
    If your not getting the results you desire then change. People change from either desperation or inspiration.

i have been going back to my tech school books for 7 years now.

thanks HVACCOP! I don't feel so bad now. Its nice to know that the pros out there are willing to admit that.
    If your not getting the results you desire then change. People change from either desperation or inspiration.

Thanks guys.............I appreciate the advice. Looks like i'ts time to hit the books again!!!

Never change a setting if it's worked for the past 10 years , look for somthing else!!

as far as not touching a control that has worked for 10 year,i duno,i usually get a hold of what ever i think i have to fix the promblem.Me ,refrigeration and air conditioning is all about fixing what has tore up,tear it apart and if your a good enuff troubleshooter you should be ok with a little of electrical,plumbing,and of course refrigeration thrown all together,controls are tricky to I sometimes change parts if i dunno what they do and have been lucky not to have had to change many parts that wasnt bad.It is tuff to throw it all together thow.I do a lot as far as what i work on.Lots of cooking equip. ,refrigeration of all kinds except chillers.I fumble everynow and then and learn a lot from hard knocks,ya its tuff on me but i still like it.
    There are three signs of old age.
    The first is your loss of memory,
    the other two I forget.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast