Thread: Dehumidification in new Trane TAM7 & TAM8

Post Likes

Dehumidification in new Trane TAM7 & TAM8

Hi All,

Does anyone know if you can set blower speed lower to increase dehumidification in the new Trane TAM7 & TAM8 Air Handlers or are you locked into using one of their ComfortLink Tstats?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BKraengel View Post
    Hi All,

Does anyone know if you can set blower speed lower to increase dehumidification in the new Trane TAM7 & TAM8 Air Handlers or are you locked into using one of their ComfortLink Tstats?
    There are dip switches on the unit to control the air flow, size of the unit and settings for comfort r/ramp up profile.

Which version of comfort link t-stat do you have comfort link 1 or comfort link 2? Also why are you asking are you having problems or do you want to try control humdity levels better?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by duckman06 View Post
    There are dip switches on the unit to control the air flow, size of the unit and settings for comfort r/ramp up profile.

Which version of comfort link t-stat do you have comfort link 1 or comfort link 2? Also why are you asking are you having problems or do you want to try control humdity levels better?
    Hi Duckman06,

Thanks. I am considering CL2. but to use all its capabilities I have to pay $9/month to Nexia. Honeywell's RedLink is free, has more off the shelf hardware, but IAQ requires a separate dehumidify input. It was on the older Tranes, but I don't see it on the new TAM7 & TAM8. Is it there?

Post Likes
    Hi Duckman06,

Thanks. I am considering CL2. but to use all its capabilities I have to pay $9/month to Nexia. Honeywell's RedLink is free, has more off the shelf hardware, but IAQ requires a separate dehumidify input. It was on the older Tranes, but I don't see it on the new TAM7 & TAM8. Is it there?
    OK, I found it. The BK Jumper is now on the AFC board and the BK terminal is where it should be.

Post Likes
    Hi Duckman06,

Nexia is free if you're only controlling your thermostat. They charge for other features like lights, blinds,...etc.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ridley View Post
    Nexia is free if you're only controlling your thermostat. They charge for other features like lights, blinds,...etc.
    Hi Brent,

Thank you, but I want a tstat, not an entertainment center so I'll go with the Honeywell IAQ.

Post Likes

Dehumidification in new Trane TAM7 & TAM8

What type of system do you have?

If you have the TAM8 communicating, I would highly suggest using the XL950 instead of the IAQ. The XL950 was designed specifically for use with that system. It has Trane algorithm's for optimal performance. If you use the IAQ, you will not have fault indication, energy tracking, airflow control and many other features.

If you have a TAM7, then the IAQ will do just as good as the XL950 because the TAM7 is not fully communicating.

Post Likes
    What type of system do you have?

If you have the TAM8 communicating, I would highly suggest using the XL950 instead of the IAQ. The XL950 was designed specifically for use with that system. It has Trane algorithm's for optimal performance. If you use the IAQ, you will not have fault indication, energy tracking, airflow control and many other features.

If you have a TAM7, then the IAQ will do just as good as the XL950 because the TAM7 is not fully communicating.
    I was considering XL20i/TAM7/IAQ. Based on what you said I'll re-consider XL20i/TAM8/XL950.

Post Likes
    If you're going with the 20i.....the TAM8 fully communicating is the way to go.

You will waste so much if paired with a TAM7.

Post Likes
    If you're going with the 20i.....the TAM8 fully communicating is the way to go.

You will waste so much if paired with a TAM7.
    X2... With the XL20i paired with Tam8 air handler you have a fully commicating system that will do so much more then a basic-mid range system.

Pair it with comfort link II t-stat and you will have a great system that gives you a lot of control over the system.

There is a local company here that sales the Trane XL20 or American standard heritage 20 with a TAM7 to keep price of install down to get the work. The problem is they don't inform the customers that there is a commicating air handler (tam8) that can be used. Why idk other then to beat other contractors such as myself on price.

When a customer decides to get a XL20i system (top of the line). They in most cases want the commicating air handler but are not told that it exists till I come along. Either the tam7 or tam8 will work but the tam8 was designed for the XL20i.

As for charging to allow accuses to the t-stat. Brent is right it's free if you just use the bridge and t-stat. If you add appliance module, door locks, cameras etc... To the system then you will be charged monthly but again if just Chosse to use t-stat and bridge charges will not apply.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in