Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who's the resident Scotsman genius ?

No M & S #'s anywhere

Scotsman dish-cuber - two vertical evap/molds - one behind the other. I got him to sent me a picture of the control panel and the wiring diagram which looks to have a small relay board but mostly mechanical controls.

R-408 is handwritten in magic marker on the unit
    Appears to have cap-tubes

After running for two hours -

Condenser air 83 in / 96 out
    Head press: 217 lbs / 100
    Suction press 43 lbs / 14
    Suction line 55
    Liquid line 96
    Discharge line 237
    Sump water 43

No water leaking in from fill valve.
    Good and even flow over both side of both evaps.

Looks like it's a little low on refrigerant with maybe a slightly clogged condenser. He did not have any R408 on the truck and the job's not critical enough to 'scramble' for. <g>

What say you all? What's up with this puppy?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Not a genius in any way regarding refrigeration, although I do have evil plans to take over the world...but I wanna take a stab at this. Is it making ice at all?

Zero ice production.

Which by the way, is the customer's primary complaint. <g>

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by cswenson701 View Post
    Not a genius in any way regarding refrigeration, although I do have evil plans to take over the world...but I wanna take a stab at this. Is it making ice at all?
    PHM
    --------

Air in it.

Why might there be air in it?

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by cmclifton View Post
    Air in it.
    PHM
    --------

I'd say its low and there is a leak somewhere. I had one we replaced in one store that I ended up finding a leak that was in the head unit, when I pressure tested with nitro when we got it back to the shop. I believe the leak I found was on either the receiver or accumulator, they both looked like they were rusting out.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    No M &amp; S #'s anywhere

Scotsman dish-cuber - two vertical evap/molds - one behind the other. I got him to sent me a picture of the control panel and the wiring diagram which looks to have a small relay board but mostly mechanical controls.

R-408 is handwritten in magic marker on the unit
    Appears to have cap-tubes

After running for two hours -

Condenser air 83&#186; in / 96&#186; out
    Head press: 217 lbs / 100&#186;
    Suction press 43 lbs / 14&#186;
    Suction line 55&#186;
    Liquid line 96&#186;
    Discharge line 237&#186;
    Sump water 43&#186;

No water leaking in from fill valve.
    Good and even flow over both side of both evaps.

Looks like it's a little low on refrigerant with maybe a slightly clogged condenser. He did not have any R408 on the truck and the job's not critical enough to 'scramble' for. &lt;g&gt;

What say you all? What's up with this puppy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to say it is a water problem. There are obvious refrigeration issues, too. It is rejecting heat...Delta T. Head is low. Should be 113 degrees. 14 degree suction temp seems high. Superheat is high. Subcooling is low. Don't like the discharge temp...237. Low charge will cause all of this given my basic understanding of refrigeration.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Why might there be air in it?

PHM
    -------
    Low side leak, poorly adjusted low pressure control if one exists?

I deal with units that run in a vacuum often. I see low side leaks often, so I may jump to noncondensables earlier than others. You have some subcooling and a screaming hot discharge line, along with very little actual refrigeration happening. In my world, noncondensables cause that. Almost every time.

i think its broke and needs to be fixed.....but what do i know?? i set superheat at the compressor..
    Let's give nukes a chance.

Does this machine have the cm controller. It sounds like yours is older than that. But being slightly low on gas you should get some ice. Do you have any more info?

Low charge.
    Living the dream !!

Quote Originally Posted by cswenson701 View Post
    I want to say it is a water problem. There are obvious refrigeration issues, too. It is rejecting heat...Delta T. Head is low. Should be 113 degrees. 14 degree suction temp seems high. Superheat is high. Subcooling is low. Don't like the discharge temp...237. Low charge will cause all of this given my basic understanding of refrigeration.
    14 deg suction temp with no ice and 43 deg water is definitely low.
    SH of 55 says you're starving!
    Start leak checking at access valves & those acorn-type caps on the isolation valves, if present (I have no idea what this model is or has).

I notice compression ratio is only 4:1
    Wonder if thats normal.

edit: to all you "noncondensable" guys- how do you explain the rad working so perfectly if it is full of ...
    come on people, analyze.
    And get rid of those dumb-a$$ quotes that somebody else said. Do some original thinking. Hey, that'll be my quote.
    Last edited by IRBH; 06-23-2013 at 11:08 PM. Reason: add re: noncondensables

From the description of your machine it sounds like a it might be a CM-500 series. Do a google search for that model and take a look at the manuals that come up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast