+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Implementing an on-call schedule.

Post Likes

Implementing an on-call schedule.

I have been with a 35+ year old company for 4 years now. Multi-million dollar corp. with 700+ employees stretching over 4 states. Many stores and two in house refrigeration techs. We DO have back-up contractors, but the calls just continuously roll in. I have nearly begged and pleaded for an on call schedule, seeing as I have very little to no uninterrupted time for me and my family and friends!

The man that I share responsibility with is a super nice guy, not a bad word to be said of him..... BUT, he is super relaxed about answering his phone.

I do not want and can't leave the stores hanging, by not answering the calls, but just simply cannot afford to have my life destroyed by the way my phone rings. He has left so many stores hanging that I have became many store's FIRST call, because they just expect that he will not answer or even return the call. This being said, I estimate that I handle 90% of the calls from within the company.

I have THE nicest boss and a very competitive wage, but have been driven to leaving. I see that other companies offer 1 week in 4, 5, 6, or even 7 week on call schedules. I have 4 years with my company, and am a bit reluctant to leave......

I may add that I am not being a cry baby, just finding that life is slipping and being ruined by my ringing phone! Surely, someone, somewhere has had this problem and talked their higher ups into a schedule!

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!

Post Likes
    Is your phone just ringing? Then you have to call the back up contractor or do you have to do the calls??

Post Likes
    Say something to the boss. Ultimately it is his responsibility to make sure his employees are performing their duties. It's not your problem.

Post Likes
    Talk to your boss...that's why they make the big bucks! Let them know that you are close to losing your job OR your family. Tell them that they may not have much time to fix it before a decision is made. I am not saying to throw down the gauntlet, but allow them some reasonable amount of time. If you don't say anything, you are just as guilty because they may not know of the situation.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchappa21 View Post
    Is your phone just ringing? Then you have to call the back up contractor or do you have to do the calls??
    I am to handle all that can be done in-house, then use back-up.
    Most of our managers have poor judgement as to what constitutes an emergency, as well.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    Talk to your boss...that's why they make the big bucks! Let them know that you are close to losing your job OR your family. Tell them that they may not have much time to fix it before a decision is made. I am not saying to throw down the gauntlet, but allow them some reasonable amount of time. If you don't say anything, you are just as guilty because they may not know of the situation.
    It literally is like beating a dead horse. I have mentioned it several times, especially when his lack of action costs thousands in lost product or profit... I have been respectful about it, beginning to think it is a waste of time.

I will be fully vested in my 401k April '14, don't want to leave early and lose, but about to lose my sanity!

Post Likes
    Life aint about work, it's about what you do when your not working. I agree, try your manager one more time, but you gotta do what makes you happy. It's a lot easier to find a job, than it is for companies to find good employees. If you're younger than 35, i wouldn't let the 401k worry you.

Post Likes
    Forward your phone the the slug you call a fellow employee that is apparently taking advantage of you. No resolution from the boss I would be looking elsewhere. There should be no reason they cant implement a on call schedule.

Post Likes
    Find another job. I'm on call about 4 times a year. I was in your situation about 15 years ago and it just about drove me insane! Your family is the most important thing in your life! It's not your fault the company is having these issues.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by isyeskeert View Post
    I am to handle all that can be done in-house, then use back-up.
    Most of our managers have poor judgement as to what constitutes an emergency, as well.
    Every 4 or 5 weeks I would just run calls and the rest of the time just forward calls to the back up contractor... If your boss won't make a schedule then make your own. Sounds like that's what your co worker does anyway.

Post Likes
    Mandatory safety meeting in the morning... Sounds like time for me to have my peace. Let's say what I need to say and hope for an audience.

Post Likes
    I lived in Palm Springs California and as "the new guy" soon found out I was the only one taking the calls when 3 of us were supposed to.
    But working at night was much cooler in the desert so I didn't mind. Just make sure you get good payment information. Card scanners, cash or driver license number and exp date on checks.
    I eventually quit for a better job.
    Economy - Quality - Speed <---- pick two

Post Likes
    We have 8 techs/plumbers every 8 weeks its someone's turn. Ahhhhh 7 weeks of quiet after 3 pm.

Post Likes
    Im on once a month and I thought that was bad, so basicly your saying you're always on call? That sux balls man.

Post Likes
    We have 12 Service techs, once every three months.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchappa21 View Post
    Every 4 or 5 weeks I would just run calls and the rest of the time just forward calls to the back up contractor... If your boss won't make a schedule then make your own. Sounds like that's what your co worker does anyway.
    ^^^^ If it where me, I would do this.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in