which layout is superior

which layout is superior? other suggestions?

everything will be run in attic, long term plans for finishing attic, but customer says it's okay to run venting across the middle at this point
    Attached Images Attached Images

They both have an issue if you ask me. I would make each run originate from the main trunk line. When you tee or branch off secondary trunks you always end up with an airflow issue out of that run. It's a small enough space that anything you do will be fine as long as you size the duct correctly

The first is the better of the 2.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by NCHeat View Post
    They both have an issue if you ask me. I would make each run originate from the main trunk line. When you tee or branch off secondary trunks you always end up with an airflow issue out of that run. It's a small enough space that anything you do will be fine as long as you size the duct correctly

Plus one. ^^^^

The first layout not only has what is described above as a problem, it uses those airflow killing triangle boxes. If you're using flex duct for this project, you may really regret employing those triangles.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

on the second design the dining room, kitchen, and part of the living room would see very little airflow.

Also, if you have good windows on the house, throw the air toward them vs. placing the registers over them. That will reduce duct runs, static pressure, and cost.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

Thanks for the feedback!

Please let me know if my updated diagram is better.

Thanks.

Name:  H+F v3.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  35.3 KB

Your OP said everything will be in the attic. Depending on how the roof is pitched, I can't quite see the air handler going next to an exterior wall like it is shown on the plans.

The duct layout appears much improved over the previous versions. How old is this house? And what type of windows does it have?

It is all in the attic. It should fit at that spacing from the edge. The roof has a good pitch to it.

I'm glad the layout looks better.

1930's house. Old single-pane wood windows with newer/nice storm windows. Overall I give the windows an average rating. House is in a primary heating environment (Minnesota). Ducting is only for AC.

Quote Originally Posted by admiralpumpkin View Post
    Thanks for the feedback!

Please let me know if my updated diagram is better.

Thanks.

Name:  H+F v3.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  35.3 KB
    My response to your first thread dittos NCHeat #2, Beenthere #3 and J.K #5. The problem I have with the new drawing is the AH (air handler) is getting buried. I would hate to try to service it. Also, the ductwork isn't large enough for my liking, but it's a step in the right direction.

George2,

Thanks for the response.

I'm using the following as baseline cfm-to-size numbers: round metal 10" 325cfm, 12" 525cfm, flex 8" 160cfm, flex 7" 110cfm

Could you give me a bit more information about which ductwork isn't large enough?

I thought the 10" returns were going to be flex runs, thus my concerns for the shortage of airflow on that side of it. The supply run towards the dining room area should be 12" and add a supply to the foyer.

hmmm...

I'm trying to understand your role in all this.

are you the Home owner?

are you the contractor?

if you are the contractor, why don't you know how to do this?

if you are the Home owner, why isn't your contractor doing this?
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals: