Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

need advice on red gauge fluctuating

Hi Pros,
    I recently posted and per the comments, I decide to purchase a new condenser instead of replacing the compressor. It was installed today. The condenser that was installed was a goodman(4ton).

After he finished, had me turn on the AC, and called me after about 20min. He showed me a set of gauge that he connected to the condenser. One was blue and the other red. He told me that something is wrong. He showed me the red gauge and it fluctuated from 400 to pass 600. It was almost cyclical. He told me that the evaporation coils may be clogged. Is this the symptom one would see if the evaporation coils are clogged?

What I do know is that the new system didn't cool the house as fast as the old unit.

Thanks in advance,
    J

More like non condensables in the system.

Was this a dry R22 condenser he installed. Did he vacuum the whole system, including the condenser before charging it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

If it was a dry R22 unit maybe he forgot to let the nitrogen out first. Happened to a guy I used to work with.

could be over charged ?

Quote Originally Posted by joseph_hvac View Post
    Hi Pros,
    I recently posted and per the comments, I decide to purchase a new condenser instead of replacing the compressor. It was installed today. The condenser that was installed was a goodman(4ton).

After he finished, had me turn on the AC, and called me after about 20min. He showed me a set of gauge that he connected to the condenser. One was blue and the other red. He told me that something is wrong. He showed me the red gauge and it fluctuated from 400 to pass 600. It was almost cyclical. He told me that the evaporation coils may be clogged. Is this the symptom one would see if the evaporation coils are clogged?

What I do know is that the new system didn't cool the house as fast as the old unit.

Thanks in advance,
    J
    From your previous thread you stated you had a failed compressor.

First question would be what was done by the tech to try and identify what made the other compressor fail? Second question would be did he do anything during the installation of the new unit to again try and identify what might have caused the first failure?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess the answer to both questions is no.

The high pressure readings I am going to guess is the (borrowed from an entertainer) "There's Your Sign!".

The possible things that could cause fluctuations of that kind are the same things that more than likely killed your first compressor. And if the tech left your brand new unit running in this condition then you're potentially headed for another dead compressor. In other words the original problem still exists.

I hope you're not running the unit in this condition. If you are, the warranty on the new unit is potentially void if the wholesaler/manufacturer is the picky type. Warranties are there to cover defects in manufacturing, NOT defects in installation.

If the tech works for a company with other more senior techs, call them and have someone with more service experience with AC's come out and solve the problem.

Good Luck.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Those are pretty high pressures for an R22 system.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

I'm thinking he didnt evacuate the outdoor unit also. I did that once. When I saw the pressures I immediately felt like an idiot. I have done thousands of installs and this was the first dry ship unit. am such of a procedural person and didnt think about it much when I did startup. We all learn from our mistakes.

I really hope you have it shut off.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Wow. Thanks for all the replies. I'll reply to each comment individually.

Hi Beenthere.
    How are the "non condesnsables" taken care of?
    He installed a condenser that uses R410A.
    He vacuumed the system. Although I don't know if he vacuumed the condenser. Can he vacuum the condensor after he connects/torches it to the 3/4 pipe and the 1/4(?) pipe?

Hi Firecontrol,
    To diagnose what failed the previous AC he said the all electrical readings are fine. He says that the compressor is only "stuck". He also told me that it usually gets "stuck" if non use for a long time. I told him this wasn't the case. We use it all the time.
    Since he still thinks that it only got stuck, he didn't try to diagnose why the original compressor failed prior to installing the new one.

He told me that the fluctuations is caused by the evaporation coils pipe clogged on the inside. I asked how can the internals of the evaporator coils pipes be clogged if it is a closed system. He mentioned that the person who originally installed the unit probably didn't clean the connections to the condenser before connecting it. After dwelling on this, his answer doesn't make sense because, if that was the case then it should have clogged the first few months of use and not 9yrs later.

I did ask him if running the AC with the fluctuations can damage the unit. He said it will turn off first. So I've been using the AC (not as cold as old unit). Okay, I will stop using AC for now.
    Thanks!

if you go to our map of contractors is one of us nearby? something is wrong, and it's going to take an experienced tech to discover it. nothing you can tell us over the internet is going to be helpful in solving this problem, it's going to take a SERVICE tech that knows what to look for and how to find the problem.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...
    The three big summer hearththrobs...
    Mel Gibson
    Dwane Johnson
    The A/C repairman

Hi Kangaroodgod,
    What do you mean he didn't evacuate the outdoor unit? Do you mean didn't vacuum it? If so how is this done. Here are the steps he took. Note this is from memory. So I may miss some steps.

1 disconnected old unit with torch
    2. connected new unit with torch
    3.?
    4?
    5. One of the last 2 steps were vaccuum
    6. then fill the unit with R410
    7. run system with gauges attached. He said that the needle on the red gauge should be constant at 400.
    8. He went inside measured temp by vent to the inside unit with thermometer covered with wet cloth.
    9. went outside to measure something?
    10. Went inside measure temp with an infrared thermometer at each vent in each room.

Again not sure if this were all the steps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast