+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bought a Groen SSB-G3 and a Cleveland 24CEM24 Steamer

Post Likes

Bought a Groen SSB-G3 and a Cleveland 24CEM24 Steamer

I scored two steamers the other day at an auction.
    The first is a Groen SSB-G3 and the second is a Cleveland 24CEM24 Steamer.
    The Groen has a gas fired burner and the Cleveland is all electric 3 phase.
    I plan to get them up and running and then sell them.
    The Groen is missing a transformer and an ignitor.
    I need help understanding the operation of the Groen.
    I'm not a repair man but I'm handy.
    With the water and electricity hooked what are the sequences I would expect to observe?
    Thanks for any help.

Post Likes
    Here are some pictures of the unit I'm working with.

Name:  HV7.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  47.1 KBName:  HV1.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  46.5 KBName:  HV2.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  35.3 KBName:  HV3.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  48.0 KBName:  HV4.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  42.4 KBName:  HV5.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  38.0 KBName:  HV6.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  48.7 KB

Post Likes
    sounds like a bad idea if you are not familliar with gas or steam. could go kaboom

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    Unless you have an intimate knowledge of and experience with electricity, gas and steam as they apply to gas fired and steam pressurized restaurant equipment, I HIGHLY recommend that you call a qualified technician.

All I can offer you are the manuals that would've been provided with those appliances when new from the factory:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Likes
    Thanks for the help. I work with the HVAC guys and lot of other professionals on an Air Force base. They used the same terminology "kaboom" and said they would help me out with this. Their specialty is not Restaurant equipment but they mess with refrigeration, boilers, chillers, etc.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ChandlerW View Post
    ... They used the same terminology "kaboom"...
    Yes, it's not a term we use affectionately" for sure. Unfortunately, I've been called to look at restaurant equipment that did just THAT though and was told somebody was in the hospital as a result.

Since you acquired that equipment through an auction, I suspect you hadn't yet seen it in operation before your purchase. PERSONALLY, I'd go through both of them methodically to check/inspect EVERYTHING before applying any power or feeding any gas. To do THAT requires somebody experienced since both of those units have their 'own" explosive" tendencies if something's not adjusted right or has failed.

FYI, both of those manufacturers require a very comprehensive "start-up" inspection after installation of brand new ones from the factory. With those units you purchased from an auction being well "used", that inspection list would become much longer.

Even with my experience, I received an "UNpleasant" surprise myself once while working on one of those Groens.

Post Likes
    Got my Groen fired up. Worked flawlessly. Reservoir filled up, water solenoid shut off, drained a little out, topped itself off, then opened the gas valve. HSI glowed red and the gas lit. It was well on its way to getting ready and I opened the door. I guess that stopped the process because the water started draining out. Closed the door and it topped off the reservoir again and the burner lit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ChandlerW View Post
    Got my Groen fired up...
    Good for you then. Since you're going at it, I suggest you let that GROEN run in constant steam mode for about eighteen hours straight like restaurants do. Other problems may arise.

WARNING: If you don't have a restaurant-type hood system for proper air exchange/ventilation, the CO emissions can KILL you. CO is odorless.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ECtofix View Post
    Yes, it's not a term we use affectionately" for sure.
    Many, many years ago, I was tasked with installing and starting up a(nother) new domestic oil boiler for hydronic heating. My boss (brother) bought a boiler of the brand and type we were familiar with, brand new from the supply house. I had installed like 6 of these babies. Piece of cake.

I dragged it into the cellar, plumbed and wired it. Tried to fire it up. Nothin. Checked oil, had oil. Had power to xfrmr for spark. Nothin. I'm scratching my head wondering why it won't fire, while I keep resetting the control and running it.

Finally pulled the burner tube out and found the factory had never installed an oil orifice. Durn! Well I had extras. Put one in and let 'er fly.

Vavoom! It lit off indeed. Being young and stupid, I reached over and shut off the oil line, and let the fan stay running, burning off the gallons of oil that had puddled in the combustion chamber. What an 1D10T!

I had people driving by stopping and knocking on the door saying I'd better check my furnace because there was a ton of black smoke coming out of the chimney. Yes, ma'am, I'll look into it.

Post Likes
    Sadly I had to say goodbye to the Groen but the new owner is excited about it. He's going to put it on his outside patio and use it for steaming and keeping stuff hot. He's going to be the first guy on his block with a 6 pan steamer. I managed to get it working without the old "kaboom" happening. Now I have the Cleveland to work with. Won't be as exciting because its all electric.

Post Likes
    I'm happy to hear it worked out for you and the new owner. I wish you the best of luck with the Cleveland as well. It being a boiler based unit, there's an entirely different set of operating parameters within its operation. Be careful.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in