Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Gonna get a Digital leak sniffer...What one??

So should I just buy an H10 or ill be disappointed ? I would be looking for mostly R22 leaks with the odd 410 leak. I wanna buy one that is useful not a waste of money or just frustrating.

I am turning to the community to see what you guys say and why?

I checked the search engine and H10 came out on top but it's like $500 big investment why is it worth it?

Been using an h/10 for 17 yrs. I have found leaks after many have tried.

I use it from res work to 1009ton low pressure chillers.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Mech View Post
    Been using an h/10 for 17 yrs. I have found leaks after many have tried.

I use it from res work to 1009ton low pressure chillers.

I've done some side-by-side comparisons between the H-10PM model and the Dtek Select.

H10 beats it hands-down.

I have 2 h-10s ( a corded and a cordless model) and 2 Dteks.

I use the Dteks as paperweights because they aren't heavy enough to be effective boat anchors.

I have both Dtek select and H-10. IMO the Dtek is plenty sensitive to find most any r22 leak and the H-10 can be set so sensitive the neighbors leaky unit will set it of... IMO they all suck for finding 410A. With 410A it has to be a pretty large leak to find with either and faster with soap bubbles.

The H-10 is the only one I can consistently locate leaks with any accuracy. The Dtek always lead me astray.

I have had the FP infrared model for a month now and like it. I have never had an H-10, but the FP beats all the others I've tried.

I have had great success with Dtek

H-10 is the best tool investment I've ever made. I was so impressed with the PM, that when it went in for some service, I bought the H-10G just to use unitl I got the PM back.

(Yes, I paid $400+ for a unit just to use until I got the PM back. How's that for being impressed.)

It just consistantly gets the job done.

I remember 2 times where it went off in weird spots consistantly. One was on a suction line before a braze joint and one was on the compressor where the low side stub is welded to the body (no oil stains on either). Cleaned them up applied bubbles, waited, and there was the leak.

Only used it on R410 once. Found leak no problem, but it was a good sized leak.

I bought the Bacharac H-10 and I find this works the best of any I have used. Takes a little practice to get the hang of but I have found known leaks that other techs have missed. The sensor needs to be put in fresh air as it recalibrates to a refrigerant enviroment. Once you get a hit pull back to fresh air for a few seconds and then back in for repeatable results.

H-10 no doubt about it. Simple to use and extremely accurate

One of the best things about the H10 is how it almost never gives any false readings. Every other leak detector I had drove me nuts with there false alarms. Bumping the tip, a stiff breeze, other chemicals would set them off. I had one detector that would false alarm on Big Blue. Think how annoying that was. You will find leaks other detectors can't find and find leaks faster with the H10 because when it beeps, the leak is there.

I just picked up an SRL2 for the convenience of it plus I head they are pretty good on R410A. But I'm sure my H10 will be used much more.
    In 1959, Cuba wanted "CHANGE" too.

Hey Old School,

I wont take anything away from what has already been said so far. But, if you want one for free I have one at the corner of my desk. I had shipped back from the USA for testing.
    It is brand new only been tested for a couple of hours.

It works very well, but could use what I like to call, "additional field testing."
    Here are the specs.
    Name:  REF Locator.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  55.6 KB

It is also ASHRAE 173 certified down to 0.9g/yr. Certificate is still pending.
    That's a seriously small leak.

Just for the forums sake, in my personal opinion you all should be looking for leak detectors that are ASHRAE 173 certified / rated. ASHRAE electronic leak test standards just came out this year.....
    Every previous standardized electronic leak detector test has always been to SAE standards. SAE used R-134a as a test gas.....
    That's mostly automotive not HVAC/R....
    I don't sell to the USA personally so I have no vested interest here... Just trying to help a brother out.

I have nothing against SAE, but it is a different trade and different gas than what you guys work with.

If you want it, send me a private e-mail with your contact info and I will get it to you.
    I do expect some fair and constructive field feedback though. If you hate it, not a problem, I just need to understand why is all. If you love it, same thing.....
    Nothings for free......

Quote Originally Posted by Expat in CH View Post
    Hey Old School,

I wont take anything away from what has already been said so far. But, if you want one for free I have one at the corner of my desk. I had shipped back from the USA for testing.
    It is brand new only been tested for a couple of hours.

It works very well, but could use what I like to call, "additional field testing."
    Here are the specs.
    Name:  REF Locator.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  55.6 KB

It is also ASHRAE 173 certified down to 0.9g/yr. Certificate is still pending.
    That's a seriously small leak.

Just for the forums sake, in my personal opinion you all should be looking for leak detectors that are ASHRAE 173 certified / rated. ASHRAE electronic leak test standards just came out this year.....
    Every previous standardized electronic leak detector test has always been to SAE standards. SAE used R-134a as a test gas.....
    That's mostly automotive not HVAC/R....
    I don't sell to the USA personally so I have no vested interest here... Just trying to help a brother out.

I have nothing against SAE, but it is a different trade and different gas than what you guys work with.

If you want it, send me a private e-mail with your contact info and I will get it to you.
    I do expect some fair and constructive field feedback though. If you hate it, not a problem, I just need to understand why is all. If you love it, same thing.....
    Nothings for free......
    For some reason I can't PM you. I will love to try it if it is still available
    In 1959, Cuba wanted "CHANGE" too.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast