Thread: carrier infinity vrs Lennox help

Post Likes

carrier infinity vrs Lennox help

Hello I'm new so if I do this wrong Im sorry .I'm battleing between 2 systems..the infinity 16 series and the Lennox xp16 . My home is 1200sqft I live in central Florida so humidity is crazy plus my body temp runs normally low(97.4 -97.8) ..here are my questions and concerns ... our manual j load calls for a 2 ton system which is fine. But we plan on adding 300sqft to our house in the near future ( maybe 2 to 3 yrs) which will bring the sqft up to 1500sqft. But the j load is still low 2 1/2 ton system. I know that no a/c system does not make a 2 stage condencer in the 1/2 ton only in full tons..so do I round up to a. 3 ton system will short cycling be an issue ...even tho our sqft is 2 ton ..will it be efficient . Or will a 2 ton be enough to handle the expantion when it done..some say 3 ton some say 2 ton a few told me to run 2 1/2 ton ..my big issue is humidity with the upgrade is..double hung triple pain low e argon filled windows foam fill all penitrations blow in insulation our house tight on leaks..I have had bad experiences with several dealer/install companies locally.no names ...I'm not completely clueless in a/c did commercial a/c install for 7 yrs.and was starting school for service due to injuries from work I can no longer work in the field not to knowledgeable on residential but learning more each day...thank you for any input

Post Likes
    When thinking about a addition to a home one needs to be sure it's something for 100% they are going to do. I have had customers say we will be adding on to our home but don't realize the price if doing so. I can say honestly people that plan to add on out of all them. Only 15-20 percent to so.

So the question your asking is should I have my hvac contractor size the system bigger for possiable future addition? I would say this for what's it worth. I would size the home as it sets now and if you so add on to the home worry about it at that time. Why? Because you will have a oversized system to you do so that can lead to more problems till you add on.

With a addition only 300 square foot the installing of a mini split system would be perfect for that small of a area and if you don't add on you have not oversized your system.

As for equipment sizing you are refuring to add on of 300 square foot might be able to be cooled with your current system size if its real insulated and sealed with low glass area and or quality windows.

Load cal is the only way to no for sure. Contractor can run the load on the home as it sits and then preform another with the possiable future addition to the home. This will show him or you what the new add will require and what size system to install.

Again a word of caution... Watch sizing home for possiable additions that may or may not happen. As you be playing with fire that might not end up well if the addition is not added. Hints the mini split option I listed above. Perfect solution in this case because you plan to add on in 2-3 years if the system is sized for that then you will be oversized for the next 2-3 years.

Post Likes
    Sounds like someone is sizing by sq ft only, but claiming to be doing a load calc.

1200 sq ft dived by 2 tons equals 600 sq ft per ton. 1500 sq ft divided by 2.5 tons equals 600 sq ft per ton.

When you do an addition, it lowers the heat gain of the room/area of the existing house where its added to, since that wall area is no longer a heat gaining wall.

Post Likes
    Thank you..been there...the extra room will be closing in a single car garage finished walls already with insulation in attic already..my big deal is humidity control. With out adding a humidity control system..trying to use the 2 stage and variable speed airhandler to do it. I know u can't get a 2 stage in a 2 1/2 ton.so will a 2 ton system work efficiently with the addition or can a 3 ton system work efficiently with the lower settings till the addition is done..I know a 1/2 ton difference is not going to hurt when the addition is added with the 2 stage and variable speed..but can it be dial in to work till then.. again thanks

Post Likes
    Doesn't sound like your adding a 1/2 ton of load. By finishing a space in the garage.

Oversizing a 2 stage with a scroll compressor by 1 ton, won't get you humidity control. A 3 ton 2 stage scroll compressor system will still be anywhere from 2.1 to 2.4 tons of cooling capacity in first stage. Have a real Manual J done. Or plan on installing a whole house dehumidifier also.

Post Likes
    Manual j load was 22k btu with out addition and with new addition said it would be ..I can't remember exact # but it was just over 25k.....here is the deal..we have a 3 ton in it now its seer is 13 seer / 14.5 with air handler ..we got taken by install company.. we originally purchased a 2 1/2 Amana comfort control system last yr. Well after 3 condencer and 2 airhandler change outs and all new duct work installed the company did a j load and told us we needed a 3 ton..so they installed it and left...electric jumped $100 in first month ..the seer is crap our other was 15 seer condencer which came to 16.2 with airhandler so I know this is parttly why bill went up..the 3 ton keep humidity levels at 50 to 55% most days with temp set at 73 ..but there are some it get I'll to 60% ..this is a single stage system with 1 speed blower 1200 cfm setting. If this give more in site to my questions

Post Likes
    2 stage A/Cs don't remove as much moisture in first stage as they do in second stage per minute of run time. They rely on running for long periods of time in first stage in order for first stage to keep the humidity down. So a 3 ton 2 stage will probably increase your indoor humidity level.

Adding more insulation to your attic, and or sealing your existing sq ft better, will lower the size needed, and help keep your electric bill down.

Post Likes
    Attic insulation is rolled out first with 16+ inches of blown in...our energy audit was great other then the crappy a;c told us to replace it with higher seer rating..one we have now doesn't have a enegery star ratinglol ..now for part 2 of my question.. carrier infinity vrs Lennox xp

Post Likes
    Carrier Infinity has been out longer then the XP.

Post Likes
    OK thank you....guess I got some more research to do

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in