Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 27 to 31 of 31
  1. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Quad-Cities area (midwest).
    Posts
    2,604
    Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    How many supply registers does your home have on the second floor and how many registers on the first floor? Where are the registers on each floor located? Thanks......that will help determine the airflow. Can you control the airflow other than at the register itself?
    I'm sending this to you again...........I'm asking about the SUPPLY registers. Please re-read. Thank you.

  2. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    I'm sending this to you again...........I'm asking about the SUPPLY registers. Please re-read. Thank you.
    Ah, my bad, supply registers mean the vent / louver that supplies air to individual rooms then? If so there are:
    6 upstairs, (1 per bdrm and 1 per bath)
    4 downstairs: (kitchen, family rm, dining rm, living room)
    10 total
    all located just below the ceiling
    only way to control the flow is the louver thing on each register
    we typically close off the ones in rooms not being used, probably 1 or 2 closed anytime system is on for both heat and cool.

    thanks for your help George

  3. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Quad-Cities area (midwest).
    Posts
    2,604
    Quote Originally Posted by cjccmc View Post
    Ah, my bad, supply registers mean the vent / louver that supplies air to individual rooms then? If so there are:
    6 upstairs, (1 per bdrm and 1 per bath)
    4 downstairs: (kitchen, family rm, dining rm, living room)
    10 total
    all located just below the ceiling
    only way to control the flow is the louver thing on each register
    we typically close off the ones in rooms not being used, probably 1 or 2 closed anytime system is on for both heat and cool.

    thanks for your help George

    Okay, thank you. Sounds like all high sidewall supplies.....just like my home built in 1946. It works great for A/C. Hopefully, you don't have ductwork in the attic. It probably all comes from a main duct run through the ceiling of the main floor. Anyway, you are only moving on the supply side, with all of them open, about 1,200 cfm at .5 static.

    This is not good for a 4 ton system. Did the salesmen look over the ductwork? Meaning: count the number of supplies?

  4. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    Los Angeles 2.5% summer design is 89F & 70F wet bulb; so let's not oversize the A/C.
    Reducing the required size of the A/C will help make the duct system problems easier & less costly to resolve.

    Before doing anything else, I'd have a Home Energy Efficiency Audit performed; the Power Company may have a program.
    After the retro-work is done, do a heat gain/loss load-calc & size-down as much as possible.

    The oversized A/C is creating a lot of costly problems that would be somewhat ameliorated if it can be sized-down enough....

    A Free online Whole House Load-Calc might be helpful...

    I went to the website udarrell posted above and gave it a shot (I probably know just enough to be dangerous )

    When I put in closest area, Los Angeles, it entered some default temps for winter and summer. To be conservative I made the summer temp 100 F and winter 30 F. I used R-11 for my stucco walls and picked average quality for ducting, etc. Anyway results I got in rounded values were:

    Cooling: 33,000 btu with 30,000 btu sensible
    Heating: 37,300 btu

    Does that seem about right for 2000 sq ft, 2 story house?
    What decides the required tonnage cooling or heating? Both come out close to 3 tons if 12,000 btu/ton is the formula. Anything else to consider?

  5. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    Okay, thank you. Sounds like all high sidewall supplies.....just like my home built in 1946. It works great for A/C. Hopefully, you don't have ductwork in the attic. It probably all comes from a main duct run through the ceiling of the main floor. Anyway, you are only moving on the supply side, with all of them open, about 1,200 cfm at .5 static.

    This is not good for a 4 ton system. Did the salesmen look over the ductwork? Meaning: count the number of supplies?
    Ducts for upstairs do run thru attic, gets plenty hot up there in summer.
    One of two salesman did look at all the rooms, both said 4 tons without making any measurements, just I think going from size of existing unit and 2000 sq ft value I gave them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event