HVAC after shoulder dislocation

Hey guys, well, I had a ATV accident over 3 weeks ago and dislocated my shoulder on impact, just returning to work and I still don't have complete range of motion especially when reaching overhead. Luckily, my boss is allowing me to do print take offs in the office until I recover to help with bidding jobs.. my reason for the post is to ask if anyone else has had a shoulder dislocation and how itseffected their carreer in the field, I'm only 30 so I have a while before
    I even think about retirement!!

I suffered a severer dislocation and separation of my shoulder and a double fracture of my collar bone 8 years ago. It was a sports injury and required multiple surgeries to repair. I was still a young guy then, not that I'm old now, but it healed well and I dont notice much affect at all. I wasn't in the field then but I spent a lot of time rehabbing, mostly on range of motion. It was the end of a promising football career but if I can still do my job after that, I'm sure you will do ok.

Dont rush it. Get full range of motion back before you push yourself too hard. Look up some rehab exercises on the internet, they can all be done at home if your insurance wont pay for rehab. Once you work back your strength, you will be back to normal. It will be stiff for a long time, and will get stiff even years later. Mine flares up some times and requires some advil but nothing to serious. Get in the habit of stretching that shoulder in the morning, you can look up good stretches too. That will get rid of the stiffness quicker.

I cant carry my tool bag on that shoulder but thats due to the strap not playing well with the screws in my collar bone, not my shoulder.

Just stick with it and you will make it back before you know it.
    The only true knowledge is the pursuit of knowledge

I dislocated my right shoulder when I was 17. I'm 32 now and I have no problems whatsoever except for arthritis. Just don't push yourself too hard until you heal up.

Thanks for responding guys, @5throot, That sounds like it was a painful injury! good to hear it doesn't have much effect on your job. Im hoping I get back to 100 percent soon, I went with the more conservative approach and decided not to go with surgery, I don't like the odds the it will come back out of socket tho, 70-80% chance they said, especially with my job and hobbies they said it will most likely come out again. clifpaul, Did you have surgery on your shoulder when you dislocated it?

I didn't have the surgery. I thought about it and decided I couldn't afford to be laid up that long. I think its a 6 month recovery including rehab. I just try to be careful and not overdo it.

takes a long time to heal 8 to 10 months to be 100%. I found going up the ladder with the tool bag was the real test.

Yeah. Ladders still make me nervous even after all these years. I still worry about getting stuck on a roof.