Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Makes me glad I work in multiple trades. I ended up at a medical facility, where i'm doing HVAC, controls, plumbing, electrical, and refrigeration/appliance work. Always busy, and when we DO have an opening, it can sometimes take 3 months or more to find an applicant that meets the needs - makes for some really good job security. Either way, spending some time learning some cross-supporting trades (plumbing, electrical and refrigeration all support HVAC, and many of the skills/knowledge are transferrable, and will help with the other trades). I certainly wouldn't give up on the HVAC trade, but perhaps make yourself a more valuable HVAC tech.

I had a chance to specialize in "small equipment" (my handle)17 years ago. Commercial food prep. Same pay, here, but always inside, usually only one tool bag, and almost never have an emergency that can't be put off till morning. Still a greasy job, but, hey! IT's edible! Sort of...

[QUOTE=jpsmith1cm;16143441]I'm ALWAYS busy.

I work a MINIMUM of 40 hours a week, every week unless I choose not to. I have been this busy or busier since I started with this company in 1995.

While I realize that not every company is run this way and that my employer doesn't "OWE" me these things, he is gracious enough to provide them and I bust my a$$ to repay him in the only way that I can.

From what I've seen of the trade, residential tends to be cyclical in nature. Busy when it's hot, busy when it's cold, slow in between times. Commercial tends to be crazy-busy when it's hot, crazy-busy when it's cold and kinda steady between times.

I agree with those who said to be honest.

x2

Quote Originally Posted by CraziFuzzy View Post
    Makes me glad I work in multiple trades. I ended up at a medical facility, where i'm doing HVAC, controls, plumbing, electrical, and refrigeration/appliance work. Always busy, and when we DO have an opening, it can sometimes take 3 months or more to find an applicant that meets the needs - makes for some really good job security. Either way, spending some time learning some cross-supporting trades (plumbing, electrical and refrigeration all support HVAC, and many of the skills/knowledge are transferrable, and will help with the other trades). I certainly wouldn't give up on the HVAC trade, but perhaps make yourself a more valuable HVAC tech.
    After 15 yrs in the feild, I too thought I was done with the trade and also got hired on at a large hospital. They paid for me to go to boiler operator school and obtain a boiler op license. It was a HUGE pay increase and no more attics and under houses. As CraziFuzzy stated, I also have been able to cross train in the other trades working throughout the facility. I would deffinately look into a hospital/medical facility. Its worked out for me.
    Quoted by "bmathews"

"Just call somebody out. Nobody on here can fix it from over the computer."

Quote Originally Posted by wolfstrike View Post
    Here in Los Angeles the HVAC trade is practically ruined, being an AC tech is basically a temp job.
    unfortunatley this is goingto spread to the rest of the country.

the other bad news is, this is happening to every career.
    Maybe being a RESIDENTIAL A/C tech is a temp job. When I worked residential as an apprentice, I probably drove home 15 techs in 3 years. They all got fired or quit because they couldn't hack it. It takes technical ability and good customer relations to be good at residential.

Employers would be thrilled if they found a tech that wasn't on drugs, showed up on time, and wasn't a slob. Throw in some technical ability and some people skills and you'll be employed for life.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12